What was the last show that started loud?

I'll always remember BD in 1996. The first show was in Sacramento. I maybe sat 10 rows from the bottom. Bam....that opening statement parted people's hair. Plus that legendary drumline. Fun stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5xuMd-PtEo

Warm-ups like that are what's missing from today's DCI! Gets the crowd, and the corps, pumped every time.

There literally could've been playoffs to see which corps could get the crowd more pumped with its warm-up.

I still get chills hearing the opening (haunting) chord of a warm-up progression. Brings back memories.

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 1

Not sure if it makes this list, but the opener from BD's 2001 Awayday Blue show was a power body blow to the chest. Loved that opener.

• Like 1

Probably the most recent one in this thread that I would say actually counts. It really is the pre-show trend that doesn't allow something like this today.

yeah but the pre-show sets you up emotionally for the smack. the thrill of a rollercoaster needs the long climb up the lift hill before the huge drop rearranges your anatomy! smacking you in the face out of nowhere does have it's points however :-)

• Like 1

yeah but the pre-show sets you up emotionally for the smack. the thrill of a rollercoaster needs the long climb up the lift hill before the huge drop rearranges your anatomy! smacking you in the face out of nowhere does have it's points however :-)

Yep. Why not both? Thats the point of variety, which has been lost in this area.

• Like 1

A number of audience members have expressed dissatisfaction with Crossmen's soft ending this year. Their composer, Andrew Markworth, explained in the "Big Loud and Live" broadcast that the ending was necessary for their theme of "continuum", so that the show could end the way it began. This thread reminds us that there was another possible solution.

• Like 4

Not sure if it makes this list, but the opener from BD's 2001 Awayday Blue show was a power body blow to the chest. Loved that opener.

This just reminded me of

...which more than makes the list.

• Like 2

Yep. Why not both? Thats the point of variety, which has been lost in this area.

This is one point I do agree with some of the older fans on, I'm perfectly fine with a great preshoe/built into the first big hit and most of the time that is what really works, but there is an incredible sameness to the pacing of the opening moments of today's shows. Something I really picked up on at the two shows I went to this year. Didn't really ruin anything or hamper my enjoyment, but it'd be cool to see someone do this again if it pertains to the nature of the music.

Edited by DrumManTx

I felt that one was one problem with Blue Knight's show. The pre-show did not really serve as preparation for the intensity of Gorgon. While very atmospheric in and of itself while the corps set up their gear ... it did not not seem to mesh or properly lead into Gorgon. I think they might better have begun in medias res, without any pre-show, right with Gorgon.

• Like 2

This is one point I do agree with some of the older fans on, I'm perfectly fine with a great preshoe/built into the first big hit and most of the time that is what really works, but there is an incredible sameness to the pacing of the opening moments of today's shows. Something I really picked up on at the two shows I went to this year. Didn't really ruin anything or hamper my enjoyment, but it'd be cool to see someone do this again if it pertains to the nature of the music.

The pre-show warm-up is not part of, nor should be part of the show. It's simply a couple minutes of warm-up time to get the chops loose and blood pumping. Imagine an orchestra warming up before the start of a symphony, just louder.