What was the last show that started loud?

BUY a program to support the show sponsor or sponsoring drum corps....LOL

That's a reason I've always given for not reading an entire program-book writeup!!! LOL

Those full writeups... minefields for announcers, for a variety of reasons... truly a story for another day.

For those reasons, I gave up reading them many years ago... and am very glad the current formats don't allow for them.

Plus... after 30-plus years of doing PA work at Lord knows how many shows, I am more or less convinced that no one is really paying close attention to an announcer unless that announcer is screwing something up. :tongue:

• Like 3

Good thread, Hroth. I streamed Finals with my girlfriend who is not a drum corps person, but has a lot of musical experience. One thing ahe pointed out--it became a joke between us--is that every show started softly and built to a loud chord impact. Drum corps designers need to get out of their box...

• Like 4

every show started softly and built to a loud chord impact. Drum corps designers need to get out of their box...

Not only that, but there were several shows (mostly lower top-12) where this first impact is the loudest they play the entire show. They never quite match the volume level after that. Almost sounded intentional. Could be performance over design issues though.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

I know this thread is about the "MOST RECENT" shows where they start loud but the ones i remember most that start loud are Faust and Niagra Falls.

When I listen to Faust on my CD, i love how first I hear, "Phantom Regiment may take the field for competition..(FIRSTNOTE)" It seems like only 1 second passes after Crockers announcement that they start playing. I love it.

And 2000 Cavies were so in your face with those impact notes to start off Niagra Falls. Classic.

• Like 1

The one that comes to mind with me is Madison '15 but I know it's already been mentioned

Anyone remember "Spirit of the Bull"? My high school played it OTL a year or so after Jax State had done it in the mid 80's. A few bars of drum intro and then BLAM!!! First horn statement is a triple f chord blasted at the box. Actually had a judge at a show criticize that opening because "it leaves you nowhere to go from there." I think that crap mentality has overtaken the activity as a whole and now you don't dare set the bar high right off the opening step.

You raise a point my wife and I made on Facebook. While watching San Antonio, we timed how long it took to get to the first impact for every corps from the first note (and this obviously factored in per shows). It was about 1:45 a corps. Madison was among the fastest, about 40 seconds

Thanks for the research!

In my opinion, that needs to change. The first impact needs to be sooner to grab the average fan or even some of us hardcore fans. Does this relate to the lack of standing ovations during a show?

Thanks for the research!

In my opinion, that needs to change. The first impact needs to be sooner to grab the average fan or even some of us hardcore fans. Does this relate to the lack of standing ovations during a show?

30 seconds to 1 minute would be ideal IMO...but it does not necessarily have to be a emphasis on a musical impact as it could be something cool visually going on in the drill as well or obviously a combination of both...