Benefits of Backstage

What's everyone's thoughts of corps having a backstage area? Is this cheating, or just a smarter way to play the game?

I was watching some of the member go-pro videos from Bluecoats show, and I noticed there's a lot of things going on behind the quarter pipes that the audience never sees (backstage); members waiting for their part of the show to start, members having fun and goofing around a bit, etc. Obviously none of this was judged since it couldn't be seen.

I'd estimate that each member averaged about 45 show seconds where they weren't seen by the audience. That's 45 seconds they weren't being judged, and 45 seconds of show they never had to spend rehearsal hours cleaning. In a game of inches, 45 seconds of show is a huge chunk to not have to worry about. There's also the added benefit of just being able to catch your breath when backstage, which means you can have more aggressive drill and even louder horns.

I'm not interested in talking about Bluecoats specifically, their videos were just what got me cued into this question. I'm curious what everyone here thinks about backstage opportunities in general.

It's an interesting point I had not considered. I wonder if "backstage" time is judgeable? If not, should it be? I don't know.

It was either 2001 ( " Four Corners ) or 2002 ( " Frameworks" ) that the Cavaliers were able to put their entire field Percussion section " backsage" in the far right corner with their backs to the audience, not moving a muscle ( not playing ) for approx. a quarter to a third of the judged portion of their show. I timed it. Both years they won DCI ( and medaled in Percussion in both ). It just demonstrates how important the Guard/ Visuals now are in DCI scoring.... as everyone on here would be compelled to agree that there there is no way in the world a Corps could have their Guard stand motionless " backstage " for this long, with their backs to the audience, in their timed performance, and place in the top echelon of DCI,.. let alone win a DCI Title. ( incidentally, I loved the Cavs 2001, 2002 shows... both were iconic. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

It was either 2001 ( " Four Corners ) or 2002 ( " Frameworks" ) that the Cavaliers were able to put their entire field Percussion section " backsage" in the far right corner with their backs to the audience, not moving a muscle ( not playing ) for approx. a quarter to a third of the judged portion of their show. I timed it. Both years they won DCI ( and medaled in Percussion in both ). It just demonstrates how important the Guard/ Visuals now are in DCI scoring.... as everyone on here would be compelled to agree that there there is no way in the world a Corps could have their Guard stand motionless " backstage " for this long, with their backs to the audience, in their timed performance, and place in the top echelon of DCI,.. let alone win a DCI Title. ( incidentally, I loved the Cavs 2001, 2002 shows... both were iconic. )

It was the 2001 ballad the battery was put in the far right corner. This was the 3rd corner featured in the show as the 3rd movement began there, with the battery moving to midfield as they laid down the groove on the hi-hats they attached while in said corner.

In 2002, they marched and played in the ballad.

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 1

It was the 2001 ballad the battery was put in the far right corner. This was the 3rd corner featured in the show as the 3rd movement began there, with the battery moving to midfield as they laid down the groove on the hit hats they attached from said corner.

In 2002, they marched and played in the ballad.

Thanks, snare_guy_83. I knew it was one of these two years, but not sure which of the two.

Thanks, snare_guy_83. I knew it was one of these two years, but not sure which of the two.

I traveled with the corps for a week that summer (Mike McIntosh was my HS instructor) and it was my job, among many other things, to gather and wheel around the hi-hats in a foam-padded wagon, haha.

It was the 2001 ballad the battery was put in the far right corner. This was the 3rd corner featured in the show as the 3rd movement began there, with the battery moving to midfield as they laid down the groove on the hi-hats they attached while in said corner.

One of the great visuals from a corps in 2015 was when the Academy field percussion section became 24 extra cg members and in total presented around 100 flags during their ballad. I'm surprised other corps haven't seen that moment as a way to increase their visual scores if it would work with their shows.

Edited by Ghost

One of the great visuals from a corps in 2015 was when the Academy field percussion section became 24 extra cg members and in total presented around 100 flags during their ballad. I'm surprised other corps haven't seen that moment as a way to increase their visual scores if it would work with their shows.

Yes! That was a great moment. I hope they bring that back in the future.