British corps to attend 2017 DCI Championship

They will most likely compete on Thursday and be somewhere around 20 and compete on Friday. I think the rule is that if they make semis they get to perform but they don't displace a rule conforming corps that is subsequently pushed out of semis.

I looked at the historical data, 20 is quiet greatly pushing it. So somewhere around 28 then.

Edited by littlejaw
  • Like 1

Looks like they could be in international class because of some overage members. I was looking forward to seeing how high they could go in World class. They look decent.

Right. There have been numerous precedents for this in recent DCI history, e.g., Yokohama Scouts and Jubal in 2011; Taipei Yuehfu in 2013; Patria in 2014; and Gita Surosowan Banten, Chien Kuo, and Jubal again in 2015. Most if not all of these groups had overage members and/or prohibited instrumentation. Also, Yuehfu's and especially Patria's shows were over time.

As has been noted, if an international corps is overage or otherwise operating outside of DCI's rules, then they are scored as if they were a DCI corps, but they can't prevent a DCI corps from moving to the next round: at worst you end up with 26 corps in Semifinals. In practice, that hasn't been a problem. The best finish by any of these corps in World Class Prelims was 28th by Yokohama. (It may be worth emphasizing that DCI championships are typically more than six weeks before the European championships, so European corps have lots of time to improve after being seen here. Jubal scored 65 here but 88 at DCE championships--and I'd say that DCE's 100 is perhaps equivalent to a 90 in DCI.) No DCI corps suffers, but DCI gets some international exposure and good will. Win win.

The Company has been neck-and-neck with Kidsgrove Scouts for the top spot in DCUK and DCE over the past few years. (Jubal is often third in the latter.) Kidsgrove Scouts competed in DCA in 2010, 2012, and 2015. I saw them live in the latter two years. As it happens, they've already announced that they too will be returning to the U.S. in 2017, but they will again be competing in DCA. Presumably The Company wants to give their members a different experience. Based on video I've seen over the years, I prefer Kidsgrove's shows, but it will be nice to have a chance to see The Company live.

• Like 5

The "all-age" (or one could say "multi-generational) concept is the norm on the world wide stage, the USA is actually the exception with having a stronger public emphasis on the junior corps (under 21 years old) over the "all-age" format.

Globally, for the most part, a corps restricted to lower ages are considered cadet corps.

Thus, the "all-age" format globally is not unusual, but rather normal-----whereas the junior corps strong emphasis in the USA, is the unusual.

• Like 1

(Other than another step toward realizing Hopkins'$ plan to control the activity by rolling DCI, DCA, and BOA/USBANDS into direct competition under YEA!)

Oh boy....

Personally, I don't like having a corps with a 60+ year old "in competition" with the DCI junior corps. Exhibition on Thursday only? Fine.

I have no problem with it. They will likely compete International Class, or perhaps they will restrict their age for next year and compete Open Class. Let them compete and be judged. Let's be welcoming. I could care less about a 50 or 60 year old, at least not for this one trip. How often will they come to American anyway?

Now, if they do come more often, they may want to adjust age so they can compete Open Class and make the experience more meaningful. But for this one year it's likely they will compete in a separate class. And no doubt DCI will let them perform Thursday and Friday.

They are quite good. Some clean marching, decent percussion line, and the guard is pretty solid.

• Like 3

Wait, DCI's allowing all-age corps now?

::straps on marching shoes and pulls out old horn::

Wait, DCI's allowing all-age corps now?

::straps on marching shoes and pulls out old horn::

All-age corps are judged regularly by DCI, but usually on a different scale than is used for junior corps.