1965 Buccaneers Reunion

In conjunction with this weekend's Big Sounds in Motion DCA Competition at Exeter High School near Reading, PA, members of the First Ever Drum Corps Associates Champions will be introduced before the first competing corps.

The 1965 Reading Buccaneers Reunion Committee has been hard at work piecing together rosters and contacting as many participants possible. The search is now complete. The original, all male, DCA Champion corps organization numbers 88 persons. There are 55 surviving members living in several different states. Of the group, 35 performers plan to attend the reunion this weekend.

One 1965 member, Bruce Englehart, was a Founding Father of the Reading Buccaneers back in 1957. Mr. Englehart will not only attend the reunion, but will play Soprano bugle as a regular performer with The Reading Buccaneer Alumni Association Drum & Bugle Corps !

Each 1965 member will be presented with a customized blue T-Shirt, and a Souvenir 1965 roster suitable for framing. The reunion day begins during the afternoon, 3pm, at Liberty Tap Room and Restaurant, located about 1 mile northwest of Exeter Township High School Stadium.

For additional information about Big Sounds in Motion, sponsored by the Reading Buccaneers, visit www.bigsoundsinmotion.com

We celebrate . . . .

1965 DCA Championship

September 11, 1965

Milford, Connecticut

Reading Buccaneers 84.50

Connecticut Hurricanes 84.36

New York Skyliners 83.16

Baltimore Yankee Rebels 80.25

Pittsfield Interstatesmen 79.95

Pittsburgh Rockets 76.95

Did YOU attend the very first DCA Championship?

• Like 4

Yes I did...

Great start to a long run....

remember rushing down the field after the scores and you can walk off with your favorite....

try that now

and everyone except 75 and 90...

75 was hard, I am a big Sky fan... wife was nine months with my youngest...never forgave her....

Pete

• Like 1

>>Did YOU attend the very first DCA Championship?<<

Certainly did ... as a yout ... Jonathan Law HS field ... chilly, damp evening ... no prelims ... just finals ... humble start to what has become a 3-4 day Labor Day weekend extravaganza ... Reading's win was a surprise to me but, deserving ... was nice to see a part of DC history ... kinda like attending the first Super Bowl (which was originally called the AFL-NFL World Championship) Game ...

:-)

Of course, we shouldn't expect too many readers to actually have attended the first DCA Championship! Such would require one to be age 55 and beyond to have any recollection, I suppose. I was not there either, but was a member of the Emmaus Sentinels at the time. My DCA participation with the Buccaneers began in November of 1968. Many of those 1965 members were still marching and have remained friends. Also played the "grooves off" that old, orange-colored, Fleetwood Records LP of the 1965 Championships, and was inspired to become a Buccaneer one day.

The 1965 Buccaneer President, Bruce Young, is the last remaining elected officer of the corps and will attend Saturday. Bruce also played Soprano. I am sorry to report, Bruce lives in a nursing home these days. His family is going to great expense to transport Bruce to the stadium with medical assistance on hand. Seeing the Buccaneers this season is one of those "final wishes" matters that are so difficult to discuss. We all are praying Bruce has a special evening with his corps. Up until a couple years ago, Bruce was active in the Buccaneer Alumni Association, still played in the Alumni Corps, and attended every DCA Championship.

Back in '65, the Buccaneers Staff included just 3 Instructors!

The late, Edward "Bud" Johnston was Instructor for Marching & Maneuvering, and Color Guard. Also served as Drum Major.

Frank J. Ferraro was Brass Instructor. Also served as Drum Major and Conductor.

John C. Flowers was Percussion Instructor.

Ferraro and Flowers will be in attendance for the Reunion activities.

Hoping many fans are able to attend Big Sounds this weekend. Not only is it a strong lineup, but important to seeding next week's DCA Championships.

Good luck to all !

John Law HS, DCA 1965:

All of the above, me. too. Maxed out crowd, both sides. :shutup: Sat on grass RIGHT ON THE FIFTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ninja:

Incredible "In Your Face" solos by iconic performers. :music:

Wonderful night, never realized lil' ol' me would witness HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!! :flower:

Elphaba

The 1965 Buccaneer President, Bruce Young, is the last remaining elected officer of the corps and will attend Saturday. Bruce also played Soprano. I am sorry to report, Bruce lives in a nursing home these days. His family is going to great expense to transport Bruce to the stadium with medical assistance on hand. Seeing the Buccaneers this season is one of those "final wishes" matters that are so difficult to discuss. We all are praying Bruce has a special evening with his corps.

Wow.. so glad to hear Bruce is making the trip. He's a great guy, and a Buccaneer legend.

Have fun in Reading, Fred!!!

• Like 1