The drive to this show had some mixed memories as I drove by the Jessup Legion Post. The Westshoremen used to rehearse there for Scranton weekend, and I remember some difficult rehearsals, some encouraging words from a staff member after one of them, and how kind the Post was to us during the day and after. It also took place a couple of times during Jessup's Saint Ubaldo parade, which we marched in. I remember the large statues/stanga being carried down the street during the parade, a really unique festival.

In some ways, I like the Peckville venue better. The parking is easier and safer. The stadium is well cared for and the concession stand in contrast to the Scranton venue is well staffed, meaning there were no 60+ person lines, and the food is far better. Scranton is a lot higher, but Peckville's vantage point was better than Nazareth's and I'd say even a bit better than Hempfield's. The only advantage Scranton over Peckville is the higher vantage.

The anthem was covered exceptionally well by the Cab's brass staff. (John, what are you playing on- nice tuba, man!)

Sky opened the show, and the brass section presented a lot better this week than in Williamsport. They obviously know what they need to polish for finals weekend and need to bear down. The show tag continues to develop well, and my hunch is that if the brass section can just get certain things tidied up in time, that they can present well at prelims and give the corps a good opportunity.

Fusion had another tough show slot yet again, and I know this wasn't a problem for their corps, as they'd done exceptionally well at Ijamsville and Nazareth in the equivalent of the Black Hole of Calcutta in the show order. Some things initially happened well for the corps. The chords worked, the Low Brass busted hard. The percussion played their guts out as they always do.

There were some salient issues that caused their hiccup at this contest.

Little "cross the t and dot the i" issues concerning drill forms and transitions cropped up at minor spots, but it was noticeable. I have a rule, when I notice that kind of thing, the visual staff must be near panic. The same with certain musical statements. Stuff they know and I know they can play in their sleep just bobbled here and there in the easy portions of the book. The big moments happened- but the consistency throughout the program wasn't as strong as I know they're capable of producing. The upper brass also didn't really sing out enough when they needed to. They need to at least give a veneer at times on top that just didn't happen that evening.

I know Fusion would make absolutely no excuses, and I'm not trying to make one for them, either- They're young- things can happen like this as a corps grows. I know firsthand about being a young corps that's ran tight with and even beaten some of the perennial big dogs and been in near identical situations. It's okay. It's how one handles themselves individually and as a corps that matters now for Fusion. If they just rehearse well, keep their heads on and remain mindful of performing with focus and consistency throughout the run, and I believe they will do exactly that at Bridgeport, they'll recover/exceed a lot of the numbers they bled out at this contest.

The Sabres made a strong, strong statement at Williamsport. They continued to do so at Peckville. It was no surprise they gapped Fusion's brass section at this contest.

Some really challenging things locked in well for the Sabres. The deep chords really sang out, the tuba feature was so good that I could kiss all of them, they really had a strong, smart, and exciting run. We'll see how much more juice they can get out of the orange at Big Sounds. They have momentum on their side and need to maintain it.

The Cabs are waking up. No better way to put it.

They got rid of the intro they used at Williamsport and I think it may be the better choice. The Cabs have always been an all-crabmeat, no filler kind of corps. The features are really getting it done, and I'm really sensing a total effort out of the entire brass section from across the spectrum now. This year's book really has some great opportunities for each section to shine, and I think those moments are being taken advantage of now by their respective sections. They also have strong momentum, and we'll have to see if they can carry that into Big Sounds as well. I really sense that the Cabs will double down hard and put a very focused and intense effort on the field Saturday.

The Bucs' run was staggering at times. You can't say that they're "soft" this year. A lot of the haters over the past several years like to throw that one out for consumption. They're capable or absolute raw power, and they can repeat it when they want to and how they want to with exactness. Then... they just dazzle everyone with subtlety and complexity at the flip of a switch.

Their Baritone section had a really fine run. BOO-YAH! A very kick-xxx kind of run indeed.

I've been also wanting to mention something but felt pressed for time, and it's not been fair to Kennedy (I hope I got his name right, I know who to blame if it's wrong!) and the tall fellow to what would be my left in the percussion feature.

These two guys are warriors. They're ferocious, they love what they're doing, draw you right into the Bucs' program and bring a very-needed and desired personal dimension to the experience. THIS is something I search for, and find rarely. The Bluecoats had it this season with their features, Dan Detwiler at CV and Andrea at the Bucs make that happen in their closing numbers... Bush's marimba player...any time Roger Grupp lights it up... It's special. In the High School activity there's so much self-consciousness that it can be frustrating to see groups hide in their shells when the moment calls for some personality, excitement, and joy... and it's wonderful to see performers just deliver something special.

C2 really came out hard, take-no-prisoners hard. They hit powerfully when they needed to hit, the mellos ripped and struck where they needed to in Cadets fashion, the Guard was inspired and very clean. It struck me the tempos were dialed back a bit to clean up some issues, and it was obviously the smart move for the contest.

Everything up to the huge field spreads in "Both Sides, Now" really clicked, then things got a bit shaky with what appeared to be a tear in the beginning of "First Circle", but the recovery was strong. Right now, I think there have been some serious get-out-the fire-hose edits taken with the brass book in the closer, and I just find it somewhat disappointing. The brass clearly shows it's capable of a lot of wonderful things in the show, but I find it frustrating that there's an implication being made they can't sustain the high level of "Cadetness" for the last 2ish minutes of the program. I'm hoping some things will be re-edited or brought back this weekend- maybe it will be for finals, I have no clue what the Master Plan is at C2. :satisfied:

Yes, all that griping from me and they finished 2nd. :satisfied: They really pulled off a nice slingshot move on Fusion and the Cabs with 3 laps to go, which I think was well-earned. Can they now make it stick? A lot will hinge on their getting that last minute of the program to really strike home, and they're still notreally grooved with it brass-wise and it's not the devastating kill-shot it could and should be.

Can they deliver the last minute of the show kill-shot at Big Sounds? I'd love to see and hear it!

We'll find out Saturday!

The show actually had a traditional full-corps retreat, play-off and victory concert. I stuck around and went to the front of the stands to just take in the Bucs at full-tilt, and it was glorious. The Bucs had a lot of fun, and I was told that not a lot of the corps has had that experience. I'm glad they did have it. I was fortunate to do several of them BITD and they hold fond memories for me even now.

I'll hopefully have the face-peeler low seats that I normally do for Big Sounds, and we'll see who can really lock things down and rip the knob off. :satisfied:

Will Carolina Gold put forth a strong performance and show they can contend for a Finals Spot or will Bush do just that? Will C2 really nail the bejeezus out of the end of their show and shut me up? :exclamation:

Will the Cabs do a back-at ya and pass C2 with 2 laps to go? Will White Sabres keep rolling and throw down an insane number?

Will the Bucs have the right Zen and say... crack a 96?

We'll find out! Be there, Aloha!

As always, great job Big W.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a Bucs "homer," but I really LIKE C2, and think they have a really nice show this year.

Maybe I'm the only one who felt this way, but for me the amplification of the pit caused an issue in the last two minutes.

Their pit is HUGE--I think I counted 13 marimbas--about twice the size of other corps, and just when the excitement was building for their close . . . . it seemed like someone turned up the amplification of the pit. When the show was over, I had to ask my wife, "What the heck just happened?" Was the pit there to support the corps or was the corps there to support the pit. IMHO it got waaay out of balance. I love C2's brass, and I felt cheated.

My seats were right at the 50, Row K. Not super high, yet not too low; perfect seats to watch (and hear) the other groups. It bugged me the entire drive home and the first thing I did was log on to DCP to check if anyone else had comments. Alas, I'm getting to be an old geezer so maybe I'll chalk it up to an "age thing." But I'll definitely be looking for this again tonight at Big Sounds.

After the Landisville drenching, Amy Snook must have had a one-on-one with God. It worked . . absolutely NO RAIN forecast for miles around!! The company I work for allows me the opportunity to present the second place monetary award. Hope to see y'all there. Should be a great night.

R. Kissinger