Emergence of the Front Ensemble

So in another thread, someone mentioned something about the 27th Lancers 1980 show being robbed of the gold so naturally, I had to seek out the show on youtube for a viewing, which I was successful in doing (link is below). I saw from corpsreps that BD won that year but wow, I loved 27th's show. A lot of fun, dynamic music and visuals in there and it just didn't stop. And who doesn't love them some Danny Boy?

There are massive, glaring differences in drum corps then and now as we all know. One of the most striking is that the guard actually marched in addition to tossing and spinning various implements. The drill was largely symmetrical, patterned, shaped and very compact. There were no gimmicky props of course. I really get why old-schoolers think drum corps has gone to pot. I don't share that opinion, but I understand it.

But the thing that struck me the most was the complete lack of a front ensemble. For tone bar type instruments all I could make out/hear were marching glockenspiels. Am I right?

My question: when did front ensembles start to appear? Must have been quite an evolution over time.

If you'd like to take a peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1fWtQqXRw

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

I could be wrong, but I think 1982 was the first year in which corps were allowed to "ground" the pit.

I believe you are correct...the pit section "outside of the field" for grounded percussion equipment was implemented in 1982...prior to that you could ground tympani but they had to be on the field...that first year only Spirit of Atlanta grounded their mallets and that was just one single vibraphone...

So in another thread, someone mentioned something about the 27th Lancers 1980 show being robbed of the gold

Some people will never let that go. Great corps among many that year (us, Bridgemen and Spirit too)...I think doing the exact same show as '79 (check it out some time, that includes drill) didn't help. They did get to do the Olympics, though. OK, the drum solo was different music but the color guard effects were the same. 27th was up over us by 2+ points in drums, and we were up over them by 2+ in horns. That's something you just don't see these days in the 'everyone gets a ribbon, everyone gets a 90 and big spreads shouldn't happen because self esteem' era.

• Like 1

I'm not a percussionist, just a dino with a good memory.

Jerry Shelmar, then percussion man at Boston Crusaders, is credited with many marching percussion innovations (horizontal bass drums and multiple quads/tenors on the same musician for instance.)

The Hawthorne Caballeros, a DCA contender known for its Spanish flair, also expanded the possibilities (marching congas, other percussion toys...) which created the environment where both DCI and DCA corps wanted to give a full percussion choir to field performances. Their Muchachos went further under Dennis DeLucia. Jerry Shelmar also taught The Sunrisers, another DCA corps where he further expanded what percussion instruments could be used, even marched in both circuits.

In 1971, marching timpani (one kettle to each musician) was the vogue for DCI. I probably have shared the story of how I was used as a model for several hours and had to wear the drum and harness while G. Royer from SCV (representing DCI) and the L.I. Kingsmen staff debated better harnesses, back and body pressures for the musician, and the probablility of grounding the instrument permanently for less wear and tear on the marcher and the instrument.

Someone else will have to pick up the actual date where DCI allowed this. Of course the electronics' aspect of microphoning mallet instruments, etc. came decades later.

Edited by xandandl

I believe you are correct...the pit section "outside of the field" for grounded percussion equipment was implemented in 1982...prior to that you could ground tympani but they had to be on the field...that first year only Spirit of Atlanta grounded their mallets and that was just one single vibraphone...

It's actually kind of amusing watching the front ensembles in the early days of grounding. Flimsy legs on marching bells and vibes. I think even the heights on the instruments weren't really correct. Now they've gone to concert instruments, but I do wonder why anyone needs 4-5 marimbas or vibes in the pit. The pit costs for a corps must be absolutely staggering.

• Like 2

I'm not a percussionist, just a dino with a good memory.

Jerry Shelmar, then percussion man at Boston Crusaders, is credited with many marching percussion innovations (horizontal bass drums and multiple quads/tenors on the same musician for instance.)

The Hawthorne Caballeros, a DCA contender known for its Spanish flair, also expanded the possibilities (marching congas, other percussion toys...) which created the environment where both DCI and DCA corps wanted to give a full percussion choir to field performances. Their Muchachos went further under Dennis DeLucia. Jerry Shelmar also taught The Sunrisers, another DCA corps where he further expanded what percussion instruments could be used, even marched in both circuits.

In 1971, marching timpani (one kettle to each musician) was the vogue for DCI. I probably have shared the story of how I was used as a model for several hours and had to wear the drum and harness while G. Royer from SCV (representing DCI) and the L.I. Kingsmen staff debated better harnesses, back and body pressures for the musician, and the probablility of grounding the instrument permanently for less wear and tear on the marcher and the instrument.

Someone else will have to pick up the actual date where DCI allowed this. Of course the electronics' aspect of microphoning mallet instruments, etc. came decades later.

Yeah, I remember the multi-horizontal bass setups that existed for a short time. Those had to be harder on the back than marching tymps. Harnesses back then were woefully inadequate, too. :wacko:

Yeah, I remember the multi-horizontal bass setups that existed for a short time. Those had to be harder on the back than marching tymps. Harnesses back then were woefully inadequate, too. :wacko:

A lot of the smaller high schools in Kentucky still use the multi bass stack.