Thinking about where to audition in 2018...

Hello, everyone. I'm sure many of you who come to DCP regularly remember me. I'm here to say that I am really interested in joining a drum corps beginning in the 2018 season.

So a little bit about me. I'm a horn player who has played mellophone for my high school's marching band for 5 years, where we won 2 division championships in state competition, and was a featured soloist in my final year. I'm originally from the Buffalo, New York area. I'm now a college freshman at a smallish public school with a fantastic music program. My major is currently horn performance, but I won't rule out music ed. I could start doing DCI this coming year, but I'm taking the summer off because of my age (will be 18 in October, so I'm on the younger side of my class) and also I want to prepare myself for adulthood by working on FINALLY getting my driver's license and maybe having a summer job.

The problem is, I don't know where to go for my first DCI audition. At first, I was thinking of an up-and-coming corps like the Legends, whose last two shows were each one of my favorites from the season. But then I thought that because I'm so good in terms of music (maybe not quite visual, but I'll rise to the challenge), Legends might be too easy for me and I should challenge myself by going for a corps like Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment, the Cavaliers, heck, even the reigning World Champion Bluecoats. So my question is, does the corps that you audition for really make that big of a difference, World or Open? And is it really better for me to challenge myself against hundreds of applicants rather than join a corps where it's more likely you'll be contracted? Also, does location really matter? Should I consider expanding my horizons to include corps like Troopers or even SCV?

Thanks in advance! Your honesty and encouragement are appreciated.

If you show some decency in your ability to march and are an amazing player I'm sure you can earn a spot. I'm an amazing player but my visual was beyond subpar and marched this summer and now I'm auditioning for BD,Cadets and BAC. Just practice knowing there is someone that may take your spot.

The sky is the limit.

• Like 1

You don't need a bunch of old angry facts telling you what to do. You want to try out for a world champion group? Do it. What's the worst that happens? They say you didn't make it and you try somewhere else (which they will help you find somewhere. Shocker corps don't hate each other as much as the fans). Best thing you make it. People can't decide because you may look for different things than us. I tried out somewhere great my age out and hated how I was treated by this top 5 group and went to a lesser liked lower level group and loved it. Maybe you'll March that first group and realize it's not about placement and family and stay. All we can say really is good luck and we hope you March somewhere!

• Like 3

Hello, everyone. I'm sure many of you who come to DCP regularly remember me. I'm here to say that I am really interested in joining a drum corps beginning in the 2018 season.

So a little bit about me. I'm a horn player who has played mellophone for my high school's marching band for 5 years, where we won 2 division championships in state competition, and was a featured soloist in my final year. I'm originally from the Buffalo, New York area. I'm now a college freshman at a smallish public school with a fantastic music program. My major is currently horn performance, but I won't rule out music ed. I could start doing DCI this coming year, but I'm taking the summer off because of my age (will be 18 in October, so I'm on the younger side of my class) and also I want to prepare myself for adulthood by working on FINALLY getting my driver's license and maybe having a summer job.

The problem is, I don't know where to go for my first DCI audition. At first, I was thinking of an up-and-coming corps like the Legends, whose last two shows were each one of my favorites from the season. But then I thought that because I'm so good in terms of music (maybe not quite visual, but I'll rise to the challenge), Legends might be too easy for me and I should challenge myself by going for a corps like Blue Stars, Phantom Regiment, the Cavaliers, heck, even the reigning World Champion Bluecoats. So my question is, does the corps that you audition for really make that big of a difference, World or Open? And is it really better for me to challenge myself against hundreds of applicants rather than join a corps where it's more likely you'll be contracted? Also, does location really matter? Should I consider expanding my horizons to include corps like Troopers or even SCV?

Thanks in advance! Your honesty and encouragement are appreciated.

It completely depends on your level...but marching in SCV or Bluecoats has the odds stacked against you if you aren't a DCI vet... I'm going to be completely honest with you...it's tough even for people who have marched other corps to make the top 4...The people trying out are going to be the best of the best...Multiple year vets and people that have dedicated their life to music...That being said, don't count yourself out!
My best advice to you is to try out for a lower level corps...You will learn so much regardless of the level...I feel that a lot of drum corps rookies want to try out for the top 4 out of the bat and are poised to get disappointed. You should audition at the place you want to go, first. Don't take other auditions until/unless you get cut. If you've been offered a contract by a corps, they expect you to take it, and if you audition elsewhere they can and likely will rescind it.
There is no limit for how many corps you can audition for, but if you are really stuck between Bloo and SCV, then go out for both...Realistically, you can probably only hit 3-5 due to schedule issues and money. This is the option if you are not sure which environment will be the most changing, but at the same time someplace that you can also earn a spot...I'd go for a top 5 corps, a 6-12th place corps, a semifinalist corps, and a corps that didn't make semis. That makes it very easy to make it in as you have options and at different skill levels. In addition to this. If you do audition away multiple corps, keep it to yourself. If people start thinking that you may not go all out or are there just as a backup...they might give the spot to someone who really wants it more than you...just food for thought.
Lastly...remember to do what's best financially. You're going to have an unforgettable summer no matter where you march. You must be pretty good if you're thinking of auditioning for Bluecoats and SCV.
Just believe in yourself and go for it!
Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses, everyone! (Including the one who PMed me)

Based on the responses, I'm also considering trying out for Cadets. What I've realized after thinking about it for a bit is that I want to do drum corps for the educational experience. Yes, the friends you make are great. Yes, the crowd giving you lots of love is also great. And yes, being rewarded by the judges is great too. But for me, drum corps, like a college study abroad program, is an educational experience that will positively affect your behavior for the rest of your life. I'm going to keep thinking about it, but Cadets and Blue Stars are my current top 2 in terms of the educational experience I desire (and if we're not considering location, I'd add SCV in there). Of course, that doesn't mean I won't consider going into another corps! Looking forward to the opportunity.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, everyone! (Including the one who PMed me)

Based on the responses, I'm also considering trying out for Cadets. What I've realized after thinking about it for a bit is that I want to do drum corps for the educational experience. Yes, the friends you make are great. Yes, the crowd giving you lots of love is also great. And yes, being rewarded by the judges is great too. But for me, drum corps, like a college study abroad program, is an educational experience that will positively affect your behavior for the rest of your life. I'm going to keep thinking about it, but Cadets and Blue Stars are my current top 2 in terms of the educational experience I desire (and if we're not considering location, I'd add SCV in there). Of course, that doesn't mean I won't consider going into another corps! Looking forward to the opportunity.

Ask people from the organizations some questions that you have. If you want you can ask me any questions about Stars and I'd be glad to answer.

Make sure you audition somewhere this year. Going to a camp and getting the feel for how things run will really help your chances of making that group in 2018.

I would also say most groups will take a fantastic player that can show progression in visual over the 3 day camp. This was me, I was in a corps known for their visual prowess but my ability to play the tuba got me in. They made me a great marcher.

Lots of corps have completely different cultures. I would suggest finding out about each that your interested in. Though I guess the Cadets might change now that they will be run differently.

• Like 3

Since you are brand new, my suggestion is for you to make a tape of yourself playing, and send that off to a couple of your desired Corps, and ask them for feedback on your playing and your prospects with them. This way, you know what these Corps are thinking, and it gives you a sense of where you stack up... not only with these corps, but then perhaps others, if need be. This method saves you transportation costs, and you get quick and timely feedback. Good luck to you.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys. My only concern is this: I'm part of a college that does not have a marching band, so there are no mellophones available for me to rent out. Also, my school's marching band holds their annual trip in mid-November, the week before audition camps, which means all the mellophones are taken except 1 or 2 old ones that I would not like to play since they require an actual horn (NOT mellophone) mouthpiece. What should I do? Should I just consider buying a used mellophone? Or do you think I can get away with just the French horn? (On second thought, the answer to that last question is probably no.)

Take into consideration logistics as well. I don't think your post mentioned where your college is located, but are you prepared to fly anywhere in the country to auditions and camps, or do need something you can drive to? Are finances an issue? Look carefully at how each corps structures its financial requirements: registration/audition fee, camp fees, tuition/tour fees, any extras?

If you want to discuss in detail, my son now has gone from Open Class to Surf to Cadets, and would be happy to contrast and compare them for you.