Legendary DCI Show Themes

Show themes are essential to any show. What are your favorites?

I want something to take inspiration from to propose to my BD for a halftime show. I don't want it to just be something like "Spanish" or "Movies." And I don't want to just completely copy all of the songs. I'd just like some themes to take inspiration from. This year is taking a turn for the better. The show is called "From the Ashes." It's a very DCI-Inspired show

Edited by DawsonBurnes

BD (as in Blue Devils, not band director) hit upon something in both it's Godfather and Fellini shows. But it needs to be explored more.

The earthquake in Italy this week reminds this Irishman of how much culture, beauty, and history Italy has given the arts and civilization.

I can't see any school supervisor not agreeing that exploring the music of Italy, it's various aspects of culture, and its color would be beneficial to the students and entertaining to the crowds.

Centering in on the Palio horse festival of the City of Siena would be one possibility (each neighborhood having its own colors and flags) or "Lago" with the many lakes of Northern Italy might be another possibility. Cf. BD 2014 for "Be Italian" or Rota's La Strada Theme (la strada being the main boulevard or street in most Italian cities.) Your language arts, history, art, fine arts, and social studies faculty could all be involved and love it too.

Siena_Palio-Fahnen_20030815-360.jpg

Edited by xandandl

BD (as in Blue Devils, not band director) hit upon something in both it's Godfather and Fellini shows. But it needs to be explored more.

The earthquake in Italy this week reminds this Irishman of how much culture, beauty, and history Italy has given the arts and civilization.

I can't see any school supervisor not agreeing that exploring the music of Italy, it's various aspects of culture, and its color would be beneficial to the students and entertaining to the crowds.

Centering in on the Palio horse festival of the City of Siena would be one possibility (each neighborhood having its own colors and flags) or "Lago" with the many lakes of Northern Italy might be another possibility. Cf. BD 2014 for "Be Italian" or Rota's La Strada Theme (la strada being the main boulevard or street in most Italian cities.) Your language arts, history, art, fine arts, and social studies faculty could all be involved and love it too.

Siena_Palio-Fahnen_20030815-360.jpg

If I recall correctly, the Appian Way begins and ends in Rome, and that's in Italy. /sarcasm But that didn't work for Cadets in '16.

So much there to include...

The plains of Foggia where so much farming is done to the planes of Foggia when the Allies commandeered the airport to launch air attack on the Nazis.

Medici, Michaelangelo, Pompeii, the Canals of Venice... The great Italian shotgun makers (oh wait, that won't work in politically-correct DCI)...

The whole corps leaning to one side - Look!, it's Pisa! (Heh, cheesy now).

Heck, I think you could do a whole show on just Rome alone.

Edited by garfield

If I recall correctly, the Appian Way begins and ends in Rome, and that's in Italy. But that didn't work for Cadets in '16.

So much there to include...

The plains of Foggia where so much farming is done to the planes of Foggia when the Allies commandeered the airport to launch air attack on the Nazis.

Medici, Michaelangelo, Pompeii, the Canals of Venice... The great Italian shotgun makers (oh wait, that won't work in politically-correct DCI)...

The whole corps leaning to one side - Look!, it's Pisa! (Heh, cheesy now).

Heck, I think you could do a whole show on just Rome alone.

Si, signore.

But you do know that Venice (and its Carnival)), Roma, and Pisa are hours from each other.

Not sure why you are taking Cadet potshots in this young OP's thread other than to be vicious. Go back to studying for your DCI field trials where you at least have to feign being nice for the tapes. :-D

Si, signore.

But you do know that Venice (and its Carnival)), Roma, and Pisa are hours from each other.

Not sure why you are taking Cadet potshots in this young OP's thread other than to be vicious. Go back to studying for your DCI field trials where you at least have to feign being nice for the tapes. :-D

Not taking potshots at the Cadets but, rather, suggesting that some interpretations of Roman art don't always translate onto the football field in all their...umm... naked glory.

(Heh)

• Like 1

Not taking potshots at the Cadets but, rather, suggesting that some interpretations of Roman art don't always translate onto the football field in all their...umm... naked glory.

(Heh)

And, here I was hoping for Gregorian Chant.

While we're on the topic of Italy, I've always loved Respighi'a other "of Rome" piece, "Fountains of Rome". There's a killer brass feature right smack in the middle of it that I've been aching to hear in DCI or just on the field in general.

• Like 1

If I recall correctly, the Appian Way begins and ends in Rome, and that's in Italy. /sarcasm But that didn't work for Cadets in '16.

For that matter, Crown's 2015 show was named for the first book of an epic poem which demonstrated that literature could be composed in Italian rather than Latin.

For that matter, Crown's 2015 show was named for the first book of an epic poem which demonstrated that literature could be composed in Italian rather than Latin.

But they all went to hell because of that, ha, ha.

While we're on the topic of Italy, I've always loved Respighi's other "of Rome" piece, "Fountains of Rome". There's a killer brass feature right smack in the middle of it that I've been aching to hear in DCI or just on the field in general.

Besides Respighi's three Rome pieces, as well as his Church Windows and Ancient Airs and DancesI'm also very fond of his Brazilian Impressions.

• Like 1