Why only 5 mini corps this year?

Was/Is there a good reason as to why there were only 5 mini corps this year (and saying only 5 applied is obvious :tounge2: )?

Someone is bound to knock off Star United, but in order to do that, there needs to be some more competition!

I'm just curious because mini corps seemed to be going in a positive direction and growing...

Edited by ErieSopMike
  • Like 1

Was/Is there a good reason as to why there were only 5 mini corps this year (and saying only 5 applied is obvious :tounge2: )?

LOL!!!

Seriously.... we've had years with 10 or more, and years with a lot less... in 2013 in Annapolis, we had four.

I actually ran the numbers the other day.... and figured out the average number of mini-corps per year is somewhere around six to eight, since the mini-corps show got off the ground in 1993.

This is a long way of saying... I don't have an answer here, Mike. LOL. Perhaps it's a cyclical thing, I don't know.

Personally, I would love to see an alumni corps like Hanover Lancers bring a mini-corps to DCA. The Lancers, IMO, are one of the best-kept secrets in drum corps...if they brought 25 of their best horn players and drummers to the mini-corps venue, I'd be willing to bet they would turn some heads, big time.

• Like 1

Personally, I would love to see an alumni corps like Hanover Lancers bring a mini-corps to DCA. The Lancers, IMO, are one of the best-kept secrets in drum corps...if they brought 25 of their best horn players and drummers to the mini-corps venue, I'd be willing to bet they would turn some heads, big time.

If you've read my signature, I'm trying my best to get something started somewhere. I actually have emailed Sharon Hedges with the Lancers about just this (and possibly more... I tried Westshore with no response) and hope to hear something back soon. The hardest part is the responses of "we want to leave it the way we left it"...

While I see the nostalgia in that, the younger generations who can't afford Reading or the other big corps, need venues. Hence why I'm looking to get something started in working with the Lancers, if they'll entertain the idea or even Westshoremen if I could get a constructive response.

Edited by ErieSopMike
  • Like 1

For more historical data along the lines of what Fran mentioned, see also this post and this post and this post.

For an explanation for why one mini corps in particular didn't participate this year, see this post.

For more historical data along the lines of what Fran mentioned, see also this post and this post and this post.

For an explanation for why one mini corps in particular didn't participate this year, see this post.

I can understand why GR didn't compete. DA is a wonderful person and he can only do so many things, lol.

I guess we'll always have the fluctuations, whether Class A, Open Class, Minicorps, whatever... It's just hard watching the activity go through a down swing (if you want to call it that)

You would think with the the Alumni corps folding and or going inactive there would be more interest in the Mini Corps activity.

I think the staging and movement that seems to becoming the norm keeps many of those senior alumni from bothering to make the attempt at forming a mini corps.

See the Donny GR post from a few days ago and one of his older post about the decline of Mini Corps.

If you've read my signature, I'm trying my best to get something started somewhere. I actually have emailed Sharon Hedges with the Lancers about just this (and possibly more... I tried Westshore with no response) and hope to hear something back soon. The hardest part is the responses of "we want to leave it the way we left it"...

While I see the nostalgia in that, the younger generations who can't afford Reading or the other big corps, need venues. Hence why I'm looking to get something started in working with the Lancers, if they'll entertain the idea or even Westshoremen if I could get a constructive response.

you won't hear anything from Westshore. All operations ceased in April, all of the equipment sold, and proceeds from that sale went to corps who helped us along the way

you won't hear anything from Westshore. All operations ceased in April, all of the equipment sold, and proceeds from that sale went to corps who helped us along the way

Thank you Jeff

You would think with the the Alumni corps folding and or going inactive there would be more interest in the Mini Corps activity.

Actually, it may be the opposite. Alumni corps folding or going inactive may be indicative of a lack of interest at a certain age/participation level, which could also impact mini-corps.

well, some corps that compete on sat and sun like Erie had mini corps as well, but i think they spread themselves too thin. So they had to dial it back. Or they outgrew mini-corps into Class A.

I know that Thunder Brigade went the route of committing to traveling for DCI Soundsport. So their big money trip was to Indy this year.

And for some like High County Brass and Renegades/Opus7 they closed up shop.

I think here in the east, we have a dozen options for places to already play in regards to DCA corps. So to start another group would further reduce the pool of performers interested in drum corps. Or to not get anyone at all.