Favorite "lost" drum corps moments?

What are your favorite show moments, musical or visual, that never saw the light of day come finals night and thus have been lost to history? Anything from technical sections that were hosed down, to entire pieces that were replaced after early-season camps.

I gotta start with the original Cadets 1995 ending, which was a classic fast ending in the same vein as Bocook's work the two previous years. The slow company-front ending that they settled on is one for the ages, of course, but what Jay was able to pull off with this first piece of writing was nothing short of magical.

Strong runner up is the "second ballad" that was cut for time from the Cadets 2000 show, which was beautiful, but I can't find a link to the pre-season recording that featured it. (If you have access to this, let me know!)

Honorable mention goes to the original Crown 2014 ending, which I felt was much more effective than what replaced it.

How about yours?

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

lots of BD's 2000 brass book got changed

i actually prefer listening to the pre-season recording as much or more than the finals one

and SOOOOO much of 1993 for all corps was lost musically because of the terrible sound (imo). Same with 95 (again, imo)

lots of BD's 2000 brass book got changed

i actually prefer listening to the pre-season recording as much or more than the finals one

and SOOOOO much of 1993 for all corps was lost musically because of the terrible sound (imo). Same with 95 (again, imo)

I feel like the '93 recordings are fine...'95 and (even worse) '96 are another story. Not sure how that happened.

• Like 1

Some more recent ones that come to mind include the soft ending of Blue Knights 2013, the back half of "Dies Irae" in Crown 2015, and the leaf flags from SCV 2016.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

I didn't realize there was a pre-season recording... do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-VM0xvpjqQ&list=PL3DzepGJ3iI3MZjIpzfsVFML5IKbAXDXh&index=11

Nope.

I'm pretty sure that was recorded near the end of the season.

The preseason recording has a lot of different brass stuff before all the revamps. It's on BD's mediabox, I believe.

27th Lancers 1981 "Spitfire" ending, which was an amazing ending to a show that should have fared better. They did change the ending to "Danny Boy" and of course "Danny Boy" and the wheel are classic drum corps and I did jump out of my seat when I saw the new ending, but "Spitfire" was great. Interestingly, this is not lost to history. DCI did not film finals in Canada in 1981, but did film DCI Midwest (the Legacy DVD) and this ending was still in place.

• Like 3