Can someone explain how we went from symmetrical drill to not?

ouooga

It's the off season, auditions haven't even started yet, and content is needed.

Can someone explain how/when we went from symmetrical drill to non-symmetrical drill? I've seen lots of shows from the 80s, and it looks like the switch happened around 83 maybe? Was it everyone at once, or did corps slowly make the switch bit by bit? Was it an actual rule change, or could corps just do what they wanted and it just so happened that drill designers wrote symmetrical up until that point?

Any info on this would be interesting. Someone enlighten me.

It's the off season, auditions haven't even started yet, and content is needed.

Can someone explain how/when we went from symmetrical drill to non-symmetrical drill? I've seen lots of shows from the 80s, and it looks like the switch happened around 83 maybe? Was it everyone at once, or did corps slowly make the switch bit by bit? Was it an actual rule change, or could corps just do what they wanted and it just so happened that drill designers wrote symmetrical up until that point?

Any info on this would be interesting. Someone enlighten me.

I was always told it was Santa Clara Vanguard who broke the mold. Someone else will have to confirm the year.

• Like 1

Go back a few years to the Santa Clara shows of the mid and late 70's and the 27th Lancers' shows first under Ralph Pace and Ike Ianessa, then under George Zingali's writings. On both coasts, whether it was Emmons and Moxley out west, or the Boston crew back East, fronts began to become arcs, then the arcs were rotated. then subdivided with pass thrus and other rotations and movements no longer anchored on the 50 or matched side to side.

Much earlier in DCA, the Yankee-Rebels out of Baltimore had divided the corps in half for a Civil War theme and eventually each "army" took on their own personalities in Blues and Greys. Bridgemen in DCI would eventually borrow the idea and make it their own under Bobby Hoffman who had done theme shows and some visual axis shifting with Garfield Cadets

The shifting of the boundary requirements (first far left, then backfield, then any side) allowed a creative opportunity for visual writers.

The '83 DCI champions, the Garfield Cadets drill was written by Zingali as you know and flowed from developing designs he did there in '82 and previously in Revere. What won was followed by others imitating SCV and more dramatically after Zingali.

• Like 1

I was always told it was Santa Clara Vanguard who broke the mold. Someone else will have to confirm the year.

For Santa Clara it was 1980, a year they were rebuilding and used it as an opportunity to experiment a bit. About this time George Zingali started doing things with 27th we would see flourish with the then Garfield Cadets and come to near perfection with Star.

• Like 2

For Santa Clara it was 1980, a year they were rebuilding and used it as an opportunity to experiment a bit. About this time George Zingali started doing things with 27th we would see flourish with the then Garfield Cadets and come to near perfection with Star.

That was the year. It was new and they ended up in 7th place, I believe.

The had one heck of a drum solo that year, though. Stone Ground Seven.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

That was the year. It was new and they ended up in 7th place, I believe.

The had one heck of a drum solo that year, though. Stone Ground Seven.

Looking at the final recap from 1980, SCV's top scores were in Visual Analysis and GE Visual. Their brass and percussion put them squarely in 7th place. Had staging anything to do with it, they cut their own throats.