Can someone explain how we went from symmetrical drill to not?

ouooga

That was the year. It was new and they ended up in 7th place, I believe.

The had one heck of a drum solo that year, though. Stone Ground Seven.

Th opener (Procession of the Nobles), drum solo (SG7) & Closer (Juipter) were great. The Evita medley was a mess - that is why they ended up 7th.

• Like 1

Th opener (Procession of the Nobles), drum solo (SG7) & Closer (Juipter) were great. The Evita medley was a mess - that is why they ended up 7th.

Unfortunately it's not that clear cut.

Changes input in the 1980 season extended beyond the concert piece. They even made a change to the key of Procession of the Nobles as per a comment from a judge.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

"Can someone explain how we went from symmetrical drill to not?"

hmmmm......I think it was something like drill writers wrote symmetrical drills, and then they did not.

Does that help? :augen51:

We bow to Captain Obvious. :tongue:

• Like 2

Go back a few years to the Santa Clara shows of the mid and late 70's and the 27th Lancers' shows first under Ralph Pace and Ike Ianessa, then under George Zingali's writings. On both coasts, whether it was Emmons and Moxley out west, or the Boston crew back East, fronts began to become arcs, then the arcs were rotated. then subdivided with pass thrus and other rotations and movements no longer anchored on the 50 or matched side to side.

Much earlier in DCA, the Yankee-Rebels out of Baltimore had divided the corps in half for a Civil War theme and eventually each "army" took on their own personalities in Blues and Greys.

Saw the Lancers at the CYO Nationals in 1979, and was struck by all the "rotating form" stuff they did. A forerunner of things to come.

The Yankee Rebels first performed their "Requiem for an Era" production in 1969. The split corps and multiple tempos... an idea years ahead of its time.

I've had a chance to chat a few times with their main marching instructor that year.... he's told me at the post-show critique at a few shows, judges would admit they didn't quite know how to judge what they were seeing, and hearing, during "Requiem".... based on the scoresheets in use at that time.

• Like 1

Saw the Lancers at the CYO Nationals in 1979, and was struck by all the "rotating form" stuff they did. A forerunner of things to come.

The Yankee Rebels first performed their "Requiem for an Era" production in 1969. The split corps and multiple tempos... an idea years ahead of its time.

I've had a chance to chat a few times with their main marching instructor that year.... he's told me at the post-show critique at a few shows, judges would admit they didn't quite know how to judge what they were seeing, and hearing, during "Requiem".... based on the scoresheets in use at that time.

Editorial comment: We were robbed at CYO ... but I'm not bitter. Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Unfortunately it's not that clear cut.

Changes input in the 1980 season extended beyond the concert piece. They even made a change to the key of Procession of the Nobles as per a comment from a judge.

heck SG7 had the cool diddle passage change from flams after Allentown

I will say that it's refreshing when modern corps throw in a little bit of symmetrical design these days.

• Like 3

Yes, Fran, it was the '79 27th Lancers that really introduced the floating visuals.

When we first saw them in June that year it was a whole new thing we were seeing.

• Like 2