Can someone explain how we went from symmetrical drill to not?

ouooga

There was some asymmetry in drill from the beginning days of DCI, although SCV 1980 is generally credited with having the first show in which the majority of the drill was asymmetrical. 1979 27th Lancers drill had the "ferris wheel" rotation during Folk Song Suite", as well as a few other moments of asymmetry. (I had the privilege of watching Zingali write part of that drill at my kitchen table armed with various wires, rubber bands and a Spirograph - an unforgettable experience!)

There was some asymmetry in drill from the beginning days of DCI, although SCV 1980 is generally credited with having the first show in which the majority of the drill was asymmetrical. 1979 27th Lancers drill had the "ferris wheel" rotation during Folk Song Suite", as well as a few other moments of asymmetry. (I had the privilege of watching Zingali write part of that drill at my kitchen table armed with various wires, rubber bands and a Spirograph - an unforgettable experience!)

Ditto for me who watched him use shoestring, the flocks of migrating birds, and clouds...

• Like 1

Last year someone on DCP posted the Youtube of the Japanese army doing a human dominoes. BD copied it in its opening statement as a wave.

Will it be May, Sacktig, Pemberton, or Wes Cartwright who will give us this as the opener while the soloist plays and the corps pantomime about in pre-show?

image.JPG

Great thread. I am learning a lot.

With all that goes into the free form passages, i.e., detailed rehearsal, is the goal still to have the moves look improvised?

• Like 1

Great thread. I am learning a lot.

With all that goes into the free form passages, i.e., detailed rehearsal, is the goal still to have the moves look improvised?

flow and ease are as important as any sense of "gee, I just made this up." Individualized drill or outside definite patterns might be better terms than "free" (of) form..

Individualized drill or outside definite patterns might be better terms than "free" (of) form..

I have always wondered about the design and execution of those brief periods, often in transition, that appear to be free of definite patterns, when, say, MMs run to surround something/someone that is being featured. But I also see the individualized drill happening not as part of a transition but as main content - significant portions of BD's Felliniesque and Ink & BC's Tilt and Downside Up come to mind immediately.

I have always assumed this non-patterned trend has evolved out of the influence of dance and theater.

Edited by luv4corps

I have always wondered about the design and execution of those brief periods, often in transition, that appear to be free of definite patterns, when, say, MMs run to surround something/someone that is being featured. But I also see the individualized drill happening not as part of a transition but as main content - significant portions of BD's Felliniesque and Ink & BC's Tilt and Downside Up come to mind immediately.

I have always assumed this non-patterned trend has evolved out of the influence of dance and theater.

Yes to everything you say here but this. Go back to the tapes of the early '70 Cadets and before then, as early as early '60's..

"Scatter" drill was sometimes included in the show as MikeD has posted videos over the years. The idea was form, scatter, and re-form or new form. Image-dissolve-re-image. It's not so new, just different with more emphasis on the individual movement (of all parts of the body) not just walking about.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Last year someone on DCP posted the Youtube of the Japanese army doing a human dominoes. BD copied it in its opening statement as a wave.

Will it be May, Sacktig, Pemberton, or Wes Cartwright who will give us this as the opener while the soloist plays and the corps pantomime about in pre-show?

image.JPG

With "large rock" props as a backdrop, of course. :tongue:

With "large rock" props as a backdrop, of course. :tongue:

Oh great! Another seven tractor trailers needed.

They supposedly already have the ocean ready with some tarp they found in a random parking lot in Etlantah. The sand is what is coming from the sweeping out of the members' buses after that break day which tired them all out.

Edited by xandandl