What the 2017 Corps and Guard wear?

C'mon. Admit it.

Somewhere there's a drill designer, costume/fabric dreamer, or guardster with their head in the post Bluecoats clouds wishing to be at Paris/Milan/New York runways and this is what would be proposed for the guard to wear for next season.

Yes, Disney did pull the kids' version; but with the slim waists of most WGIers and DCI color guards, it might still fit and wouldn't the $$ admin guys be happy with the savings. (Similarities to any BD outfit ever is coincidental.)

moana-maui-costume-pulled-2016-09-21.jpg

C'mon. Admit it.

Somewhere there's a drill designer, costume/fabric dreamer, or guardster with their head in the post Bluecoats clouds wishing to be at Paris/Milan/New York runways and this is what would be proposed for the guard to wear for next season.

Yes, Disney did pull the kids' version; but with the slim waists of most WGIers and DCI color guards, it might still fit and wouldn't the $$ admin guys be happy with the savings. (Similarities to any BD outfit ever is coincidental.)

moana-maui-costume-pulled-2016-09-21.jpg

I hope not. It's culturally insensitive.

I hope not. It's culturally insensitive.

yes, that is what some are accusing Disney of being in selling these for Halloween, especially if the wearer is of a different ethnicity or race.

Now compare the above to 2013 BD faux tatooed guard uniform for Re-Write of Spring/Re-Rite of Spring where the designer hearkens back to tribal imagery. Is it that different from Disney, everyone?

274e9f96dd21d5511c540574d955636e.jpg

What other unusual outfits might 2017 units be wearing?

Edited by xandandl

yes, that is what some are accusing Disney of being in selling these for Halloween, especially if the wearer is of a different ethnicity or race.

Now compare the above to 2013 BD faux tatooed guard uniform for Re-Write of Spring/Re-Rite of Spring where the designer hearkens back to tribal imagery. Is it that different from Disney, everyone?

274e9f96dd21d5511c540574d955636e.jpg

What other unusual outfits might 2017 units be wearing?

It actually comes down to Pacific Islanders and the assumptions made about the demi-God Maui, and that people from this region, males in particular are obese, and not the tattoo work on the costume.

As someone that lives in the Hawaiian islands, and studied a great deal of Hawaiian culture and history, as well as that of other Pacific islands, it is offensive.

I, of course, may be a little more sensitive living in the region and knowing and understanding the culture, but it doesn't make the costume any less offensive.

Some have equated the costume to the moron's that used to put on black make-up and mock African-Americans, and honestly, it is the same.

As far as the reference to the 2013 Blue Devils, it's not even close to the same type of thing.

It actually comes down to Pacific Islanders and the assumptions made about the demi-God Maui, and that people from this region, males in particular are obese, and not the tattoo work on the costume.

As someone that lives in the Hawaiian islands, and studied a great deal of Hawaiian culture and history, as well as that of other Pacific islands, it is offensive.

I, of course, may be a little more sensitive living in the region and knowing and understanding the culture, but it doesn't make the costume any less offensive.

Some have equated the costume to the moron's that used to put on black make-up and mock African-Americans, and honestly, it is the same.

As far as the reference to the 2013 Blue Devils, it's not even close to the same type of thing.

I'm not sure if you are objecting to the costume, as the lad is far from obese, or is it the adult that Disney cartoons in its' animation? Why are BD's tribal imagery of tatoos not offensive to you? There might be a good nuance here which by sharing you help educate future designers. Is it merely a matter of what one senses as 'political correctness?" Would varying opinions be as valid as compared to the religious native culture you use as reference? (My focus here is educating, not arguing per se.)

I too have relatives in the Pacific (Guam).

Edited by xandandl

I'm not sure if you are objecting to the costume, as the lad is far from obese, or is it the adult that Disney cartoons in its' animation? Why are BD's tribal imagery of tatoos not offensive to you? There might be a good nuance here which by sharing you help educate future designers. Is it merely a matter of what one senses as 'political correctness?" Would varying opinions be as valid as compared to the religious native culture you use as reference? (My focus here is educating, not arguing per se.)

I too have relatives in the Pacific (Guam).

My objection is both the costume and the animated character.

As for the tattoo between the costume and BD 2013, my feeling is that they are completely different. The BD tribal tattoo work may come off as tribal, but it appears as though it is the modern thought on tribal tattoo work. I haven't seen anything historically that shows or proves that what BD was using had anything to do with ancient Pagan rituals of Russia.

Where as the tattoo work on the character and costume hold definite meanings, but I do not have an issue with the tattoo work.

The costume is like someone using black make-up and not being African-American, it's the same concept by using the darker shades, regardless of who is wearing it. It also makes the wearer look larger, like the character in the movie.

So to me it comes down to racism, it also comes down to obesity stereotypes.

I also have a hard time with it, because I am typically a strong supporter of the Disney organization, and have studied Walt Disney and the company at great length, including spending a great deal of time going through the Disney archives, with permission, to show the fault of the Marc Elliot book "Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince," which makes horrible claims about Walt Disney.

I am very glad they took the costume off the rack, and honestly have always wanted to a corps to do a show based on the islands in the Pacific rim, but I believe they should have thought a lot more with this movie in regard to the character look and the subsequent costume.

Btw, haven't been to Guam, but hope to get there some day in my exploring.

• Like 1

My objection is both the costume and the animated character.

As for the tattoo between the costume and BD 2013, my feeling is that they are completely different. The BD tribal tattoo work may come off as tribal, but it appears as though it is the modern thought on tribal tattoo work. I haven't seen anything historically that shows or proves that what BD was using had anything to do with ancient Pagan rituals of Russia.

Where as the tattoo work on the character and costume hold definite meanings, but I do not have an issue with the tattoo work.

The costume is like someone using black make-up and not being African-American, it's the same concept by using the darker shades, regardless of who is wearing it. It also makes the wearer look larger, like the character in the movie.

So to me it comes down to racism, it also comes down to obesity stereotypes.

I also have a hard time with it, because I am typically a strong supporter of the Disney organization, and have studied Walt Disney and the company at great length, including spending a great deal of time going through the Disney archives, with permission, to show the fault of the Marc Elliot book "Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince," which makes horrible claims about Walt Disney.

I am very glad they took the costume off the rack, and honestly have always wanted to a corps to do a show based on the islands in the Pacific rim, but I believe they should have thought a lot more with this movie in regard to the character look and the subsequent costume.

Btw, haven't been to Guam, but hope to get there some day in my exploring.

Thanks for the clear answer which leads to better understanding.

I would posit that the BD outfit is an allusion to tribal custom and tradition rather than a replication and would be therefore less offensive. But there are those who are so "politically correct" that any inference or suggestion would seem offensive. If so, any time a marching arts performer dons a costume/outfit/uniform then cultural sensitivities might come to play. Where the boundaries are might be fluid by circumstance, intent, and history.

When the Cadets did Holsinger's In The Spring, at the Time when Kings Go Off to War (a title which Holsinger, a church organist and composer took from the Old Testament/Jewish Scriptures of the Second Book of Samuel 11:1 and I Chronicles 20:!) the all male rifle line was anachronistically costumed as medieval knights. I was so impressed when Jim Moore, one of the guard designers and faculty, went to the religious leaders to learn if it was ok to have a clergy-stand-in bless the knights during the show before their feature, as if they were going to war against the judges. The judges, according to the tapes, loved the layering and never mentioned the anachronism. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjyHBv5rFiQ Today's designers may have a tougher time in this culture of "diversity" where all are invited but not automatically respected. It's a challenge for sure.

What other possible 2017 clothing of interest?

Edited by xandandl