Low Finals Score?

Here's a question for you guys: Let's say a corps (lets use BAC as an example) gets into finals with a score of 88. And let's say the Scouts (again, as an example) just missed finals with a score of 87. On finals day, BAC is having a super bad day. They bomb their finals show and come out with a 78. Is it possible for a Finalist corps to have a lower score than a semifinalist corps on finals day? And has this ever happened before, or do corps always do better than semifinalist corps? This question's been on my mind for a while.

Here's a question for you guys: Let's say a corps (lets use BAC as an example) gets into finals with a score of 88. And let's say the Scouts (again, as an example) just missed finals with a score of 87. On finals day, BAC is having a super bad day. They bomb their finals show and come out with a 78. Is it possible for a Finalist corps to have a lower score than a semifinalist corps on finals day? And has this ever happened before, or do corps always do better than semifinalist corps? This question's been on my mind for a while.

Easy answer...It's called numbers management...there are far less corps to rank on finals night than semi's...and the fact that actual finals score numbers may be less than semi's is absolutely meaningless and actually many times an expected result...it's the spread for the particular night of competition in question that counts.

• Like 1

Guardsmen 1980: 12th place in prelims with 79.55, earned a 72.9 in Finals. Blue Stars finished 13th with a 77, Troopers were 14th with a 76.6.

To put some context to the low scores, BD won with a 90.6. This was still in the days of the old tic-based scoring.

Happens all the time.

In 2016, Boston had a lower score than Madison had on Friday night.

• Like 2

Same in 2008 with Madison having a lower score than Crossmen had on semifinals night. And in 2012 Crossmen had a lower score finals night than Blue Stars at semifinals. 2013 Blue Stars were lower than Troopers at semifinals. Its something that you'll often see when its a tight race for 12th.

• Like 1

Same in 2008 with Madison having a lower score than Crossmen had on semifinals night. And in 2012 Crossmen had a lower score finals night than Blue Stars at semifinals. 2013 Blue Stars were lower than Troopers at semifinals. Its something that you'll often see when its a tight race for 12th.

Exactly, it's a pretty common occurrence.

This literally happened this year, didn't it? Not that huge of a drop, but BAC's show on Saturday scored lower than Madison's Friday show.

I've actually caught myself three or four times writing Corpsreps an email saying there's a mistake in scores because the 13th place score is higher than the 12th for some year, until I realized what happened. Never actually hit send though, so I'm still good.

I've actually caught myself three or four times writing Corpsreps an email saying there's a mistake in scores because the 13th place score is higher than the 12th for some year, until I realized what happened. Never actually hit send though, so I'm still good.

Too bad you didn't catch yourself this time also since we all have an idea of your concern and not just with Corpreps.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

Too bad you didn't catch yourself this time also since we all have an idea of your concern and not just with Corpreps.

Hey, brain farts are a natural part of life. I'm comfortable with it.