DCI Championships In Indy - What Happens After 10 Years Are Up?

It's hard to believe but it's now been 10 years since DCI announced that it was moving to Indy and re-locating the championships there as well for a period of (at least) 10 years. Here's a FAQ from 8/9/2006 that contained a lot of the relevant details regarding the move:

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=209942725&SPID=166025&SPSID=965782

I haven't kept up with this so it's very possible there have been some announcements on this topic that I've missed (please share if they have been made!) but does anyone know what the plans for championships are beyond the 10 years in Indy? Now that we've had 8 years of championships at Lucas Oil (2009-2016) it would seem a plan for the period beyond that initial 10 year agreement might be in place or coming together. I completely understand the rationale for "locking in" with a venue for an extended period for financial and planning purposes. With more covered stadiums available now (and more on the way), what are the chances that DCI enters another multi-year agreement but in a different location? For those curious, here's a list of covered stadiums by capacity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_covered_stadiums_by_capacity#Field_sports

Several of the venues on this list are currently used for other DCI events (the Alamodome and the soon to be closed Georgia Dome), might others on here possibly become DCI venues in the future for big events like regionals or championships?

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 1

Doh! I figured I had missed the memo. Thanks snare_guy_83! I totally get the need to lock in with a venue for a set number of years but suppose I was hoping for some variety (not that there's anything wrong with Indy). At least we have other shows in other places. :cool:

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210253294

Championships will still be at LOS through 2028

Doh! I figured I had missed the memo. Thanks snare_guy_83! I totally get the need to lock in with a venue for a set number of years but suppose I was hoping for some variety (not that there's anything wrong with Indy). At least we have other shows in other places. :cool:

I disliked the idea at first, but to be honest, I actually like it now. It's a controlled environment, so the recordings can be great. The performances don't have other factors like wind/rain, which I also like.

Not to mention, the group I go down with and I have traditions we've begun in the area, and I think that's fun.

At the same time, I would love to see finals in Camp Randall again, or a variety of other places, but I really don't have an issue any longer with finals being in LOS.

I disliked the idea at first, but to be honest, I actually like it now. It's a controlled environment, so the recordings can be great. The performances don't have other factors like wind/rain, which I also like.

Not to mention, the group I go down with and I have traditions we've begun in the area, and I think that's fun.

At the same time, I would love to see finals in Camp Randall again, or a variety of other places, but I really don't have an issue any longer with finals being in LOS.

I'm ok with it too and like you am appreciative of the controlled environment. I'm a weather person so not having a show compromised by weather conditions is a very good thing and safer for all. I suppose my line of thinking was - hey there are more covered stadiums now (Arlington, TX; Houston, TX; Minneapolis, MN; Detroit, MI; St. Louis, MO; New Orleans, LA; Atlanta, GA, Phoenix, AZ, San Antonio, TX, etc.) - would it be advantageous from a drum corps growth standpoint to potentially rotate DCI finals around several of them? I'm sure those things have been assessed and if the answer was that there were more negatives (e.g., tour schedule planning) than positives then I completely understand sticking with Indy as the place. Having DCI HQ there certainly adds further motivation to keeping finals in Indy too.

DCI will never leave Indy---unless the stadium decides not to renew. Too good of a deal they have, and lets face it-- DCI saves a lot of money and hassle by not having to relocate finals every year.

DCI will never leave Indy---unless the stadium decides not to renew. Too good of a deal they have, and lets face it-- DCI saves a lot of money and hassle by not having to relocate finals every year.

The embolden qoute is not understood by many and there are those who disagree.

For clarity sake, would you elaborate so that others might understand. Thanks.

As someone who's been on a championship show staff (DCA) since...well...the Stone Age...LOL...there is definitely something to be said for having a show at the same venue for a length of time, from a staff perspective. You get to know the crew and the venue itself, know who to ask for help, etc.

Plus, like others have said... zero weather problems at an indoor venue.That is a huge plus for me.

As someone who's been on a championship show staff (DCA) since...well...the Stone Age...LOL...there is definitely something to be said for having a show at the same venue for a length of time, from a staff perspective. You get to know the crew and the venue itself, know who to ask for help, etc.

Plus, like others have said... zero weather problems at an indoor venue.That is a huge plus for me.

The other side of this is the tour becomes a rut. Why can't fans in California see a live contest with all Corps it to form every now and then? This is not helped by the regionals being in the same locations every year - if your location is not conveniently on the route between these you won't have a local show. Yes, the true die-hard fans will make the trek to Indy or a regional, but DCI is missing an opportunity to grow the fan base with local shows.

• Like 1

The other side of this is the tour becomes a rut. Why can't fans in California see a live contest with all Corps it to form every now and then? This is not helped by the regionals being in the same locations every year - if your location is not conveniently on the route between these you won't have a local show. Yes, the true die-hard fans will make the trek to Indy or a regional, but DCI is missing an opportunity to grow the fan base with local shows.

let alone breaking the bank of many long time fans who fine the Covention cities DCI has chosen these past two decades to be beyond their means.