2017 DCA Shows

Spandy

OPEN CLASS

Atlanta CV "Through the Glass Looking..."
Music by Charles Mingus, Jeff Beal, Phillip Glass, Vienna Teng, David Gillingham, and Igor Stravinsky Link

Bushwackers "Where We Belong"
Music from The Wizard of Oz (Harold Arlen, Yip Harburg), Creep (Radiohead), Orawa (Wojciech Kilar), Blue Shades (Frank Ticheli) Link

Cadets² "Simple Gifts"
Appalachian Morning (Robert Sheldon), Appalachian Morning (Paul Halley), Blue Shades (Frank Ticheli) Link

Carolina Gold "So Into You..." Link
Wicked Game (Chris Isaac), Incantation (from Quidam, by Benoît Jutras), Young and Beautiful (Lana del Ray), Danzon No 2 (Arturo Marquez), El Tango de Roxanne (from Moulin Rouge, by Craig Armstrong), Roxanne (The Police)

Connecticut Hurricanes "Porgy and Bess"
My Man’s Gone Now, Summertime, Bess, You is My Woman Now, It Ain’t Necessarily So, Oh Lord I’m On My Way (from Porgy and Bess, by George Gershwin) Link

Fusion Core "Connexion"
Vesuvius (Frank Ticheli), The Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel/Disturbed), Uffe’s Woodshop (Tyondai Braxton) Link

Hawthorne Caballeros "The Pathway of Remembrance" 
La Fiesta Mexicana (H. Owen Reed), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Zambra (Ojos de Brujo), La Fiesta (Chick Corea) 
Link Teaser trailer 

Kidsgrove Scouts "Montagues & Capulets" 
Fantasy Overture (Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky), Romeo and Juliet (Sergei Prokofiev) Link

Long Island Sunrisers "miRAge"
Festival of Light (Stephen Melillo), Caravan (Duke Ellington), Danse Bacchanale (from Samson et Dalila, by Camille St. Saens) Link

Minnesota Brass "Pins & Needles"
In The Hall Of The Mountain King (Edvard Grieg), The March Of The Trolls (Edvard Grieg), Medea’s Dance Of Vengeance (Samuel Barber), Coraline (Ending credits, by Bruno Courlais), Hurt (Trent Reznor) Link

Reading Buccaneers "Behind the Suit"
An Ideal of Hope (from Man of Steel, by Hans Zimmer), Lex (Michael Daugherty), Symphony No 1 (Samuel Barber), Also Sprach Zarathustra (Richard Strauss), original compositions by Mark Lortz, Johnny Trujillo and Mike Lalli Link

Skyliners "Xscape"
All the Rowboats (Regina Spektor), Escape to Paradise (from Chicken Run, by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams), Xscape (Michael Jackson), Lost Boy (Ruth B), Kingfishers Catch Fire Movement 2 (John Mackey) Link

White Sabers "WaterwayS"
Waterways (Ludovico Einaudi), Equus (Eric Whitacre), Rain (Brian Balmages), Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Simon and Garfunkel), Niagara Falls (Michael Daugherty) Link

CLASS A

Chops "Aria 51"
Flower Duet (from Lakmé, by Léo Delibes), I Will Follow You Into the Dark (Death Cab for Cutie), Original music by Matt Kettelhut and Joel Matuzak 

Cincinnati Tradition "Lift"
Come Sweet Death (JS Bach), Brothers in Arms (Junkie XL), Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel), Aurora Awakes (John Mackey) 

Erie Thunderbirds "Undaunted"
Tragic Story of Rex Racer, Grand Ol Prix, True Heart of Racing, Let Us Drink Milk (Michael Giacchino)

Excelsior "The Tin Men"
Smile (Charlie Chaplin), Aha (Imogen Heap), Titanium (David Guetta), Death of a Bachelor (Panic! at the Disco)

Govenaires "Uncharted: A Lost Relic"
The Hunt for Red October (Basil Poledouris), Lux Aeterna (from Requiem for a Dream, by Clint Mansell), Hide and Seek (Imogen Heap), Enterprising Young Men (from Star Trek, by Michael Giacchino) Link

Southern Knights "When Kings Go Off To War"
In The Spring, At The Time When Kings Go Off To War (David Holsinger), On A Hymnsong of Philip Bliss (David Holsinger) Link

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2

With Kidsgrove announcing their show today I figured I should start my [almost] annual thread. As more announcements come in I will update the original post.

Mods, I know they don't both belong to me, but I think we can probably un-pin the 2015 and 2016 iterations :wink:

We're really looking forward getting to work learning this show. Hope you guys enjoy it when we come over to DCA!

I'm sure the rep will be out soon enough. Keep an eye on our Facebook for details ;)

• Like 1

We're really looking forward getting to work learning this show. Hope you guys enjoy it when we come over to DCA!

I'm sure the rep will be out soon enough. Keep an eye on our Facebook for details ;)

So, so far, guv, I"m imagining source book from Phantom Regiment (both seasons of Romeo and Juliet) and uniform twists like Cadets 2011, A&D... all set in Downton Abbey?.

Now to be more creative to impress us Yanks.

So, so far, guv, I"m imagining source book from Phantom Regiment (both seasons of Romeo and Juliet) and uniform twists like Cadets 2011, A&D... all set in Downton Abbey?.

Now to be more creative to impress us Yanks.

Haha, I'm not going to tell you a single thing for the plans we have but I am very excited about what we're going to produce. Full credit to our amazing design team, they're top draw.

Will you be at finals?

Haha, I'm not going to tell you a single thing for the plans we have but I am very excited about what we're going to produce. Full credit to our amazing design team, they're top draw.

Will you be at finals?

usually not. I forego the senior* corps thing with DCA in order to get the week away for DCI's. Who knows what this summer will bring?

Edited by xandandl

Moving to Euor in Dec, hope to catch a few show over there next season .Best of Luck Kids Grove .

• Like 1

usually not. I forego the senior* corps thing with DCA in order to get the week away for DCI's. Who knows what this summer will bring?

Fair enough, but if you do check our DCA we hope you enjoy the show!

Where you moving to Florida Sun?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scatfish ,i'm moving to Novi Sad ,Serbia have good friends there ,cost of living is very low compared to here ,Was there last year for 2 months rented a cottage over looking the Blue Danbue for 300,00 for 6weeks .slpit that in haft it cost me 150,00 .Stopped in Backca Planlca the frist week .had to cross into Croatia and back into Serbia ,But then all the boarders closed ,so we found a nice town between where we where staying and Novi Sad ,Great farmers market on the week-end ,Bought all our produce there .Plus there where to really good butcher shops and a fish market .2 nice thick T-Bone steaks half dz, 3 foot sausages and 2 pounds of fresh ground beef for under 10,00 dollars .There money is the Dinar almost the same as the USA paper bills coins ,plus paper coins ?Rent for a 80 -100 meter 2 bedroom apartment fully furnished run about 140.00 to 160.00 a month.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated with Sky's show info from another thread:

The Skyliners’ 2017 show is called XSCAPE! The design team includes Thomas Sparling, Program Coordinator and Visual Designer; John Meehan, Brass Arranger; Ted Mascari, Percussion Arranger; Ryan Reed, Front Ensemble Arranger; James Branche and Krysta Ganey, Color Guard Designers; and Matthew Stevens, Visual Show Consultant.

The XSCAPE show is contemporary, sophisticated, and cutting edge. It incorporates a variety of musical styles, and visual and color guard packages to engage and entertain the audience and membership.

The Introduction of "All The Rowboats" is from Regina Spektor’s sixth album. The song finds her singing about someone who wants to liberate works of art from the museum where they are kept. For The Skyliners, this will start with pit, percussion, and soloists or small group(s) and then build to an impact with full corps.

The Opener is "Escape to Paradise" from the movie Chicken Run by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams. Although written for an animated film, the score is “perfectly suited to the action on screen: classic instrumentation and serious themes, but with the occasional nod and wink.” Look for lots of sectional features, some percussion windows, moderate tempo, and lots of action!

The Skyliners’ Percussion Feature is "Xscape" by Michael Jackson. It was written and recorded in 1999 for Jackson’s tenth studio album, Invincible” album, but failed to make the album. The song was completed in 2001 and leaked on the internet the following year. It is also the name of the second posthumous album of previously unreleased tracks by Jackson that includes “Xscape”.

The Ballad is "Lost Boy", the 2015 debut single by Canadian singer Ruth B. “Lost Boy” is a pop tune that has already hit Platinum status, and was part of Ruth B’s EP (Extended Play recording), “The Intro” released on November 27, 2015. A music video for the song was released in May 2016. Look for lush brass and solos, and front ensemble in this fresh single.

The Closer is “Kingfishers Catch Fire Movement 2” by John Mackey. This wind ensemble piece premiered on March 17, 2007 in Kurashiki, Japan. It was conducted by Ichirō Saitō, a Japanese film composer. A "kingfisher" is a bird with beautiful, brilliantly colored feathers that look in sunlight as if they are on fire. Kingfishers are rarely seen, but when they are seen, they are undeniably beautiful. The second movement, "Kingfishers Catch Fire," imagines the bird flying out into the sunlight. Starting with the pit, the audience will appreciate the brass features on a 1/16th note ostinato, then a huge build to the ending.

The Skyliners are thrilled to be working with these exceptional Creative Designers to continue our growth to the next level in DCA for 2017.