"It's Time To Get Rid Of Marching Band Halftime Show"

Fox Sports Clay Travis has an interesting "solution" to shortening college football games..

The comments are great!

http://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/onair/outkick-the-coverage-with-clay-travis-58002/its-time-to-get-rid-of-15185958/

provided the halftime sports analysts also stop blabbering, telling us what we just saw, telling us how to think about what we just saw, and reminding us that they will have more to tell us about how we should think about what we just saw and will see once the game is over. My Lord, the networks might just save some money on the salaries of the talking heads and their perfect coiffures and suits, airfares and hotels.

I've been gratified that the main Cleveland newspaper has been conducting an online poll for the past six weeks asking readers to pick the best local marching band. Of course, it's not really about "best". It's about most popular--or maybe it would be better described as, "Which band can get their students, parents, and community most enthused?" But they've racked up several hundred thousand votes, and yes, that includes a lot of people voting more than once, but just getting people to read and comment on the "marching arts" is a good thing. I've certainly taken the opportunity to mention drum corps repeatedly in the comments section, including posting video of "The Wink".

But let's be honest: this FoxSports editorial's real purpose is the same as that poll: to drive traffic to the website.

• Like 3

I'll repeat what I said on a facebook post of the same link. This is Clay Travis. Professional troll. I refuse to feed the beast. Not clicking. Not sharing.

• Like 5

Another dunderheaded jock sniffer strikes again.

I agree - and it's easy to dismiss the article on that level and just move on

However the "comments" are quite interesting - a large number of folks defending the value of bands, music education and the amount of work ethic, dedication and talent that goes into marching-music on all levels

I personally found the article itself ridiculous, but the comments were quite uplifting. I think more people "get it" than we think. A positive!

• Like 2

I agree - and it's easy to dismiss the article on that level and just move on

However the "comments" are quite interesting - a large number of folks defending the value of bands, music education and the amount of work ethic, dedication and talent that goes into marching-music on all levels

I personally found the article itself ridiculous, but the comments were quite uplifting. I think more people "get it" than we think. A positive!

I'm glad he's getting beat up. My son was in the Marching Illini for four years and they rehearsed every night. And then he studied.
  • Like 1

There are some schools.... Ohio State and Texas A&M come to mind, among others.... where the football fans might riot if their bands could not perform at halftime!!!

• Like 2

There are some schools.... Ohio State and Texas A&M come to mind, among others.... where the football fans might riot if their bands could not perform at halftime!!!

And some schools like Jacksonville State where the band often performs after the game (due to HS Band Day, Southerners Reunion, special guest bands, etc.). And still they play to packed stands.

I love it that the Music and Athletic departments at JSU have a great relationship and mutual respect for each other.

• Like 2

And some schools like Jacksonville State where the band often performs after the game (due to HS Band Day, Southerners Reunion, special guest bands, etc.). And still they play to packed stands.

I love it that the Music and Athletic departments at JSU have a great relationship and mutual respect for each other.

The band is better than the football team at Illinois!
  • Like 3