On Demand from Championships

Although I just watched the high cam, and it doesn't show any change during that section, so maybe the whole show posted is from Semis? Who knows...I just remember there being an issue during finals in the middle of the show when the voice sample cut out. Maybe it was just on the broadcast end. Someone who was at finals would know better....

I remember that as well...I watched finals live...I was just curious what they did to fix it...not that I'm complaining...10 years from now no one will remember or probably care...and for some that may be the case already...LOL

Here's the DCI press release about this:

https://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211236793&DB_OEM_ID=33500

Some highlights:

• On Demand is a $79.95 annual subscription that expires June 1st. (If you subscribe now, your subscription ends June 1st. Renew it then, and you'll get a full year.)
  • "To date, the [2016] performances of 17 World Class corps can be streamed online. The Madison Scouts, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, Oregon Crusaders and Spirit of Atlanta have various licensed titles still outstanding, and they are expected to be added when final approvals are received." (This On Demand offering requires a different license than live streaming and discs.)
  • Licensing arrangements allow for five different 2016 performances per season for each of these corps including one or two from earlier in the summer so you can see the design and performance evolve.

From the videos FAQ (http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965782&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211236618):

• In answer to the grumble about 22 World Class corps, not top 22: They're not pursuing On Demand for Open Class at this time. One possible inference is that, in DCI's opinion, demand for Open Class video on demand does not justify the time and expense of securing licensing.
  • They "expect" to offer video downloads of individual 2016 corps by late November.
  • "DCI will once again offer its popular DCI Live! streaming video platform [in 2017]. A number of events from June through the DCI World Championship Finals in August are expected to be on the schedule with bundled subscriptions that include access to both live streaming and on-demand events available to fans." It's not clear to me whether "on demand events" in that context would include DVR playback of a 2017 contest after the event, as used to be allowed at DCI Live but hasn't been offered at least the last two seasons until now. They expect to offer a bundle for at least 2017 DCI Live and (2016? and/or 2017?) On Demand, presumably at a higher price than this year's DCI Live.
Edited by Peel Paint

Strange. When I log in it tells me I don't have access. I purchased the entire 2016 season. I did not order any DVDs or Blu Rays. I wonder if that's why I can't view anything?

Strange. When I log in it tells me I don't have access. I purchased the entire 2016 season. I did not order any DVDs or Blu Rays. I wonder if that's why I can't view anything?

Did you purchase the On Demand package too? If so and you can't access the videos still, email them. I had an issue too that they corrected pretty quickly. However, you have to make sure you purchased On Demand along with the DCI Live package. Just having DCI Live will not get you access to the On Demand section...

Did you purchase the On Demand package too? If so and you can't access the videos still, email them. I had an issue too that they corrected pretty quickly. However, you have to make sure you purchased On Demand along with the DCI Live package. Just having DCI Live will not get you access to the On Demand section...

Yeah - I looked into that after I posted. No I didn't purchase the on demand. I think it's ridiculous to charge separately for each. The Fan Network was much more reasonable. Man it's getting harder and harder to stay a drum corps fan for me.

Yeah - I looked into that after I posted. No I didn't purchase the on demand. I think it's ridiculous to charge separately for each. The Fan Network was much more reasonable. Man it's getting harder and harder to stay a drum corps fan for me.

Seriously? This makes it hard to support the activity? I marched and became a fan long before the days of the internet and instant access to recordings was possible, and I will be a fan long after the streaming stuff is figured out.

Just seems like a peculiar reason to not be a fan of the activity.

• Like 1

Seriously? This makes it hard to support the activity? I marched and became a fan long before the days of the internet and instant access to recordings was possible, and I will be a fan long after the streaming stuff is figured out.

Just seems like a peculiar reason to not be a fan of the activity.

It's not THE reason I'm losing interest. I started following DCI in 1979. I've been a lifelong fan and supporter until fairly recently. It started about the time synthesizers were added and has been slowly diminishing each year since. I understand licensing issues but previously when you paid for the full summer on Fan network you also got a year of access to those shows as well as the archives. Charging the customer twice is just a money grab to me. Now that they can provide on demand access to the shows I already paid to see I'm not going to pay to see them again. This is just one more thing in a long line of things that are causing me to lose interest. I still give annually to the same two corps I've been supporting all along but I don't enjoy what's being put on the field so much. Get it now?

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

I don't see it as a money grab, not by DCI, anyway. Their licensing costs are higher now than a few years ago, and they are paying separate fees, I believe, for On Demand and for Live, so allowing fans to select one or both packages separately or bundled together as desired is fairer to most. Plus Live now includes finals which wasn't available online a few years ago for about the same price (although, granted, DVR playback was out when finals came in).

They make more money when you go to shows than they do when you watch a show online.

I'm really surprised they got On Demand going again. I know they said they were working on it but didn't seem to be getting anywhere, more because of Tresona than DCI.

I don't see it as a money grab, not by DCI, anyway. Their licensing costs are higher now than a few years ago, and they are paying separate fees, I believe, for On Demand and for Live, so allowing fans to select one or both packages separately or bundled together as desired is fairer to most. Plus Live now includes finals which wasn't available online a few years ago for about the same price (although, granted, DVR playback was out when finals came in).

They make more money when you go to shows than they do when you watch a show online.

I'm really surprised they got On Demand going again. I know they said they were working on it but didn't seem to be getting anywhere, more because of Tresona than DCI.

Shhh! Please stop giving the actual reasons, it's far better to think of DCI as an evil monster that is rolling in cash. Using reality on licensing and product cost is absurd.

I'm just glad you didn't point out the fact that DCI generally loses money because the cost of production is far greater than the amount of revenue brought in by media sales, otherwise we'd REALLY be in trouble here.

• Like 1

Shhh! Please stop giving the actual reasons, it's far better to think of DCI as an evil monster that is rolling in cash. Using reality on licensing and product cost is absurd.

I'm just glad you didn't point out the fact that DCI generally loses money because the cost of production is far greater than the amount of revenue brought in by media sales, otherwise we'd REALLY be in trouble here.

Nobody said DCI was an evil monster rolling in cash. You seem to feel the need to be combative every time someone expresses an opinion that differs from your own. I admit - I'm an old fart that doesn't like what Drum Corps has become. Even my favorite corps, which you happened to have marched in. I do realize that the experience of the members is still the most important thing happening in drum corps which is why I still contribute to your corps every year. The actual experience for members probably hasn't changed all that much except for maybe becoming even more physically demanding. I'll leave it at that.