"A Taste of Drum Corps" -- shows for those new to the activity

Background: A friend of ours has an 8-ish year old son. Very athletic, and quite energetic otherwise. We live in a southern state, where baton twirling and majorettes are a big deal in the high school and college bands. This youngster has decided that he wants a baton and majorette uniform for Christmas. My wife asked his mom if she had ever heard of DCI, and she (the mom) had only a small idea of what drum corps was. My wife told the mom all about the different styles of corps, some of the traditions, etc, and how it was different from the local bands (namely the more artistic dancing of the DCI guards, versus the dance line and baton twirling styles of the band majorettes). The more my wife described it to her, the more my wife thought that the child would be a natural in a DCI guard. She suggested getting the child an inexpensive drill team rifle to practice spinning.

In an effort to further expose both mom and child to the artistry that is drum corps (especially from a guard point of view), what shows, from which corps, in what years, would you suggest that we show them, to give them a good taste of drum corps?

I dunno anything about developing young guard members, but I'd advise starting an 8 year old with a flag instead of a rifle. just for safety's sake, is all.

but that's an interesting question. I have a slew of preferred shows that I use, but they're usually neither for young people nor visual centric. as much as late 80's/early 90's is my sweetspot, there is a great disparity in guard grace between then and now.

so something fairly modern. and something with a catchy tune (I figure that's gonna be necessary for young people).

well last year's Academy comes to mind, it has enchanting storytelling. similarly 2005 Cadets. Both have some good dance features and upbeat music.

with a sufficient quirk to please a youngster.

Some of the Cavaliers...perhaps 06, perhaps 2011. both have serious guard and amusing details.

while you have 2011 on you can also roll out Cadets and Phantom.

the 2008 Crown show, with the horses, has a lot of fun implementation of guardwork and also fun music.

2014 Devils, though maybe that's not so family friendly for a child so perhaps 2015 instead :)

that should be a good menu for a young person keen on the visual aspects.

The list although not endless would be very extensive.

1987 - PR, SCV & Cadets

1989 - SCV

1992 - BD

2000 - Cadets

2008 - PR

2016 -Bloo, Crown & The Academy.

• Like 1

If color guard is what you are trying to expose them to then almost any BD show, or some of the Cavaliers championship years.

I'd go with as much variety as possible. My top picks would be:

Madison 1995

Blue Devils 2014

Phantom 1993

Cadets 1995

Cavaliers 1991

Crown 2011

Star 1993

Santa Clara 1991

Velvet Knights 1992

Madison 1997

In that order as well.

For a kid that young... hmmm....

1997 Madison - who doesn't like pirates?

1989 Blue Devils

2004 Cavaliers

1992 Star of Indiana

2013 SCV

I think those are listenable, and give you a bit of variety.

8-year-old...would not do overkill with too many.

2016 Bluecoats, Crown and Academy would be the three I pick for a 3rd-grader.

Can't argue with those choices!!!

I'd throw in the opening moments of 2016 BD's show. Mainly for the cool "ocean wave" effect. Has to be a fun for a kid. LOL

• Like 1