Is Atlanta in or out?

There are rumblings the new Falcons stadium may be cost prohibitive and the Atlanta event may be moved to another venue\city. I hope this is just offseason chatter that isnt accurate.

Does anyone have info one way or the other? It would be wonderful if the event could be at the new stadium, especially with the upward trend in attendance.

There are rumblings the new Falcons stadium may be cost prohibitive and the Atlanta event may be moved to another venue\city. I hope this is just offseason chatter that isnt accurate.

Does anyone have info one way or the other? It would be wonderful if the event could be at the new stadium, especially with the upward trend in attendance.

I think we would have heard by now if it was totally cancelled.

Also for prices, DCI already uses a number of expensive stadiums, so it may still be ok.

The schedule is due out in about a week, so I'm sure we'll know soon, otherwise, maybe contact DCI directly to see if you hear.

Since people plan these trips over a year in advance, I would think it would be more likely we would have heard about a venue/city change at this point. DCI is fairly open with their communications on things like this, and seeing as though the event is just a few weeks before the first Falcons game, my sense is that the new stadium should be ready in plenty of time for the Southeastern Championships. All indications are that Murfreesboro and NightBeat are in their normal spots as well. I guess anything can happen, but my guess is that everything will remain as is for the upcoming season.

Even November is late for DCI announcements if one is a loyalty card holder for hotel chains or airlines for the usual person.

The mega-million miles status and premier people are another matter. I'm talking about Joe Average Fan/Parent trying to afford to see one's kid(s) or sponsoree(s) while paying tour fees, college tuitions, and travel costs to Regionals and Championships. I'm talking about the "normal people" not the subsidized band director, the portfolio-packed Friends of DCI, or the lobbyist manufacturers who dominate so many of DCI decisions by their mega-financial arrangements. In brief, I mean the average customer.

Midwesterners, who dominate the DCI offices and committees, have never seemed to quite to get this. Their drive is only a state or two on flat roads to the same old place each summer. DCI holding off until BOA, USBANDS, etc. to be finished is of no help to the traditional drum corps fan. Prices only get higher as the announcements are postponed.

Some will instantly react by quoting exceptions. I am speaking here on a more consistent and nationally-centered situation.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Would love it if they moved the southeastern championship to Nashville, at Nissan Stadium. Flip the Friday and Saturday shows, have Atlanta be Friday at a smaller venue.

• Like 1

I've heard the rumor that the Wake Forest show could potentially be made into a regional. The logistics would be ok for it.

It also wouldn't surprise me if DCI pays whatever they need to for using the Falcons stadium in 2017 then reevaluates if it ends up being too cost prohibitive.

Even November is late for DCI announcements if one is a loyalty card holder for hotel chains or airlines for the usual person.

The mega-million miles status and premier people are another matter. I'm talking about Joe Average Fan/Parent trying to afford to see one's kid(s) or sponsoree(s) while paying tour fees, college tuitions, and travel costs to Regionals and Championships. I'm talking about the "normal people" not the subsidized band director, the portfolio-packed Friends of DCI, or the lobbyist manufacturers who dominate so many of DCI decisions by their mega-financial arrangements. In brief, I mean the average customer.

Midwesterners, who dominate the DCI offices and committees, have never seemed to quite to get this. Their drive is only a state or two on flat roads to the same old place each summer. DCI holding off until BOA, USBANDS, etc. to be finished is of no help to the traditional drum corps fan. Prices only get higher as the announcements are postponed.

Some will instantly react by quoting exceptions. I am speaking here on a more consistent and nationally-centered situation.

honestly, logisitics in timing is the issue, not location.

no sense in announcing something now, only to have to go back and make new announcements if it changes. With a situation like Atlanta developing, there could be many moving pieces that aren't nailed down.....so do you want to announce only re-announce every time things change, or do you want to get it right the first time?

I asked this question to a top 12 director Allentown weekend and they said it is more expensive but they will be using the new stadium.

I asked this question to a top 12 director Allentown weekend and they said it is more expensive but they will be using the new stadium.

I thought there were concerns it would be done in time