Finals DVD/BR Viewing: Some Thoughts

Maybe some of you have interest in sharing reflections, thoughts, or reactions to viewing the DCI Finals performances on your recently acquired DVD or BluRays?

I attended shows at the Tour Premier in Indy, San Antonio, and all three days during Finals week. After a viewing of the shows on video (both multi-cam and high cam), here are a few of my early thoughts. Obviously, this is FWIW:

• The top five shows are all really wonderful and different. Five different corps’ personalities.
  • Except for The Academy, shows six and below blur together a bit.
  • I am disappointed, a little sad, and then also somewhat guilty that I still can't find much memorable about Phantom's show. Oh, right, some good featured horn players.
  • Hey, thanks to Fuse, I know that girl in the BD guard and that guy in the Cadets guard!
  • Bluecoats were stunning and Blue Devils were their usual quality executioners. For me, Crown had the winning show.
  • I didn’t think that about Crown late on Finals night in LOS.
  • But also: those featured horns in Bluecoats!
  • Liked the Blue Knights music much more than I remember from seeing them live.
  • Liked The Academy music, but didn’t hear it as well played on video as I thought it was live. I even remember in Indy thinking the group ought to have scored higher on music than it did. Now not so much. (Though, I’ve nothing special in terms of audio playback.)
  • I think many shows use props unproductively, and so ineffectively. The Cadets, Crossmen, Blue Stars. Just wasted time and effort with many of those props. I don’t buy the need to simply stage stuff - those mannequins and lamps.
  • I am not anti-props. Crown, Bluecoats, The Academy, Cavies used props genuinely effectively; the props were integral to the show. (To the show, not just the theme.)
  • I got kind of irrationally annoyed that the horn statue for the Cadets stayed on that wedding cake all show instead of getting down and doing some drill.
  • I wondered whether the judges weren’t compelled to ask, WT* do we do now? at Bluecoats and parts of Cavies show. If they did, I liked their answers.
  • Missed the Scouts.
  • Like 1

I got kind of irrationally annoyed that the horn statue for the Cadets stayed on that wedding cake all show instead of getting down and doing some drill.

Too be consistent, don't you think you should have the same thoughts about the violin player?

• Like 1

Too be consistent, don't you think you should have the same thoughts about the violin player?

Good point. I was annoyed by that, too. But also wondered if she would be considered more like a member of the pit, and so remaining stationary might be more acceptable.

I watched most of the 12 again and apparently don't mind the mild narcissism of posting mostly to myself:

• Great to have available both the multi-cam and high cam versions. I like both, but prefer the high cam.
  • Just in case show designers out there are looking to me for last-minute tips: I never get excited by the solo guard member off on their own doing a ballet dancing thing. Actually, it's not lack of excitement. I just don't understand it. I need that to be very poignant - not just in way that is academically correct to the theme, but to the show itself.
  • Keep enjoying Crown and SCV more and more. Still enjoy the Bluecoats show and admire what they did. But it's also beginning to look sloppy in places to me.
  • For me, as just a lowly amateur and fan, I get a little weary when I have to use Wikipedia to try to connect the theme with what I'm seeing on the field. (But I now know that Steve Wynn put his elbow through a Picasso.) I might just be a doofus, but what value was added by that lady in the lampshade costume?
  • Really appreciate Phantom's music and the work of the featured horns. Wish the show had been more memorable overall.

Going back for as long as I can remember, my DCI media holds a special place under our Christmas tree. But, when I open and watch them, I'll be happy to post some opinions. And, while I'm enjoying your comments, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing a few particular shows in HD. YouTube quality only goes so far.

Got my set yesterday via UPS - all I can say is the same thing every year since Tom Blair and his crew have done it - WOW

The sound and video are awesome on the bluray, camerawork is excellent, etc. It really feels you like you are in the stadium watching live, its that good...and its been that way for a number of years now, especially the Lucas Oil stadium years on bluray (09-now)

I noticed a lot of little subtle musical things listening with the bluray as opposed to the ondemand videos online. You can hear everything, its awesome.

Got my set yesterday via UPS - all I can say is the same thing every year since Tom Blair and his crew have done it - WOW

The sound and video are awesome on the bluray, camerawork is excellent, etc. It really feels you like you are in the stadium watching live, its that good...and its been that way for a number of years now, especially the Lucas Oil stadium years on bluray (09-now)

I noticed a lot of little subtle musical things listening with the bluray as opposed to the ondemand videos online. You can hear everything, its awesome.

Wow! Now I can't wait until Christmas morning!

Any licensing edits this year?