Madison Scouts 1976-Early Season

I always heard that the Madison Scouts completely revamped their 1976 show in midseason in hopes of challenging the Blue Devils at DCI Finals. I know that with the exception of "Stars and Stripes Forever" and the percussion solo, they brought back their 1975 championship show.

Questions:

1. How good was the original 1976 show? Did it have a chance to challenge the top corps?

2. Does anyone have a recording of that show? I have looked for it for quite a few years with so success whatsoever.

Thanks

Roadhog470

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Shaft being the opener, I liked it.

I always heard that the Madison Scouts completely revamped their 1976 show in midseason in hopes of challenging the Blue Devils at DCI Finals. I know that with the exception of "Stars and Stripes Forever" and the percussion solo, they brought back their 1975 championship show.

Questions:

1. How good was the original 1976 show? Did it have a chance to challenge the top corps?

As a member who marched that year, I thought it had major problems. The opener, the theme from "Shaft," had potential with some reworking, but the rest of the show was little to be desired. "Pick of the Pieces" disco drum solo was a disaster and the ponderous marching version of "MacArthur Park" for out-of concert production was a ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

That show did not have a chance to challenge for the top prize. IMO, if we had stayed with that show, we probably would have finished 6-8 place. It was evident during our western tour during late June-early July that the "Disco Show" would not contend for the top. Hence, around July 1 (while we were in California), the staff informed us that the show would be scraped. From that point on, we learned the music to "1975 Redux" by day on the bus, while performing the "Disco Show" at night. I recall on the bus teaching the tenor parts to 1975 "MacPark" to the sole new guy in the tenor line. When we got back to MadTown c. July 8-9, we withdrew from all of our mid-season shows and went into an intensive 2-week camp to learn the new drill and the new music to "Stars and Stripes" and "Ease on Down the Road" drum solo. It was quite a herculean task, but, heck, as Michael Cesario said on the 1975 DVD, we were "The Mighty Men of Madison," lol!

We gave it our best shot, but it just wasn't enough. "Stars and Stripes" couldn't compete against BD's "Channel One." We got what we deserved. With that said, in all of my years marching, 1976 Madison Scouts, Part II was one our finer moments as a group coming together in a period of adversity.

2. Does anyone have a recording of that show? I have looked for it for quite a few years with so success whatsoever.

You don't want to hear it. It ain't pretty.

:rolleyes:

I never got to hear the first show, but from what I was told, the first real test of the 'new' show was at Drum Beauty in Stillwater, MN. It was the first time that BD and SVC got to see the 'new' show, and after talking to my friend, "Iggy" Bob Simons, one of the 8 Fab frenchies, he was surprized they were as close as they were. Stars & Stripes blew me away! I will always think that if that show had been done from the first, they could have repeated.

However, BD was really f'ing awesome. The North triples always had something going for them. They were not to be denied.

Pat

The early show from that year, Madison played a tune that was sung by Diana Ross, and I can't remember what it was. Help me here. It was part of the scrapped show, and was the original closer. Funny I can still hum the melody, but I can't give it a name.

da da dahhhhhh, da da da da dahhhhhhh, da da dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dahhhhh, dah dah dah dah dah dahhhhhh, dah dah dahhhhh.

The early show from that year, Madison played a tune that was sung by Diana Ross, and I can't remember what it was.  Help me here.  It was part of the scrapped show, and was the original closer.  Funny I can still hum the melody, but I can't give it a name. 

da da dahhhhhh, da da da da dahhhhhhh, da da dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dahhhhh, dah dah dah dah dah dahhhhhh, dah dah dahhhhh.

"Mahagony" (sp?) closed the fiasco.

Bingo! You must have read my hum above.

While I've got a Scout's attention, it was rather rare for members to make friends between corps back when, but some of the Blue Devil bari line made one with a Madison bari in '74 or '75 ??? who later became drum major. I can no longer even remember his name.

Care to help here too?