Madison Scouts 1976-Early Season

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo!  You must have read my hum above.

While I've got a Scout's attention, it was rather rare for members to make friends between corps back when, but some of the Blue Devil bari line made one with a Madison bari in '74 or '75 ??? who later became drum major.  I can no longer even remember his name. 

Care to help here too?

You maybe thinking of Doug Tholo. He played bari from 1971-1977 and was DM in 1978.

"Mahogany". Dan's right it was awful. (no offense Dan, you don't write 'em you just "do 'em).

Yep, just go with the flow.

BTW, I had to play "Mandy" and "Could it be Magic?" in '77. Barry Manilow. Oh the humanities.........

Oh, man, sorry to hear that, Terri. lol.

You maybe thinking of Doug Tholo. He played bari from 1971-1977 and was DM in 1978.

That's the guy, thank you. It seemed the norm in drum corps at the time was 'We hate you, you hate us'. The competitive nature kept members from corps away from members of other corps. It seems it was strongly frowned on.

For whatever reason, Doug Tholo and a few of the Blue Devil baritones breached the divide, and we thought to ourselves of times past 'Well that was stupid'.

Now here we are all these years later, actually trying to co-mingle. How many years did this take us?

That's the guy, thank you. It seemed the norm in drum corps at the time was 'We hate you, you hate us'. The competitive nature kept members from corps away from members of other corps. It seems it was strongly frowned on.

For whatever reason, Doug Tholo and a few of the Blue Devil baritones breached the divide, and we thought to ourselves of times past 'Well that was stupid'.

Now here we are all these years later, actually trying to co-mingle. How many years did this take us?

Yeah, you had the "turf wars" so to speak, but there were exceptions. From my recollection, we co-mingled well with Kilts and Cavies, whom we saw regularly in our neck of the woods. Also, part of the problem in the mid-70s was that when you're in a winning corps like Scouts, BD, and SCV, you tend to go on near the end, which doesn't allow you see your competitors, nor mingle with them one-on one. Winning can, perhaps, bread a kind of isolationist mindset, i.e., "us vs them." I'm glad that time has mitigated competitive zeal of the past so we befriend and "catch up" on lost opportunities from the past.

Dan

When I marched in the Cavaliers (early 70's), the "no fraternization with the enemy" mentality definitely existed (except for raiding other corps of their girls!).

The exceptions for us were the Madison Scouts (as Dan mentioned), whom we considered a "brother corps," the Toronto Optimists (who were the Canadian "Green Machine" of that time), and Blessed Sac (who just seemed to be a very classy group of guys).

After being housed in the homes of the Garfield Cadets families, while on tour in 1970 and 1972, we got along with them okay too, but rarely saw them during the summer otherwise.

Hawthorne (Cabs) was also a very good "friend" of the Cavaliers throughout my time back then. They even sent several cases of their 25th anniversary commemorative glasses to our hall, in the winter of 1973 (I believe it was) as a gesture of friendship. Great guys whenever we saw them.

Corps we did NOT get along with at all - DesPlaines, Norwood, and Kilts (the first two because of constant fistacuffs, the later because they had beaten us too often recently!). It goes without saying that we didn't get along with Boston Crusaders, but who did back then? :P

(except for raiding other corps of their girls!).

I was approached by ladies from the Muchachoes, & Blue Rock, had a few little group flirtations with the 2-7 guard, lusted over perhaps the entire Crossmen guard, and always enjoyed girl watching the Blue Stars in their hot pant shorts. But I can't say I ever raided another corps. I don't remember ever persuing females in other corps (maybe this was my loss), as the 'We hate you, you hate us' mentality was too pronounced.

The competition level between Concord and Santa Clara was intense. There was no inter-association between corps members at all back then. One of our '76 tenors, a fellow named Rich, had a sister in the Vanguard CG that same year. Rich wrote an essay that was posted on the DCI web pages a month or three back. Anyone who hasn't read it, really should. It paints the picture well of what the social air was like back then.

In the Cavaliers, we didn't have much choice but to raid other corps for their girls (and no, DON'T go there . . . B) )

The competition level between Concord and Santa Clara was intense. There was no inter-association between corps members at all back then. One of our '76 tenors, a fellow named Rich, had a sister in the Vanguard CG that same year. Rich wrote an essay that was posted on the DCI web pages a month or three back. Anyone who hasn't read it, really should. It paints the picture well of what the social air was like back then.

thx for the recognition Troop, that column was actually derived from a thread I did here about a year ago.

The link to that column is:

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=f...b7-e6ecbdbaae40