Madison Scouts 1976-Early Season

In the Cavaliers, we didn't have much choice but to raid other corps for their girls (and no, DON'T go there . . . B) )

Must...step...away...from....keyboard.....

Ya gotta admit it's VERY tempting!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far . . . so good. Thank you Blue Devil folks! ^OO^

You maybe thinking of Doug Tholo. He played bari from 1971-1977 and was DM in 1978.

Oh he was hot! :P

He won many DM trophies by wiggling his butt. He was also the guy I replaced in the Lead baris.

And the guy and his ex wife were disco gods, he was like Travolta.

:rolleyes:

I never got to hear the first show, but from what I was told, the first real test of the 'new' show was at Drum Beauty in Stillwater, MN.  It was the first time that BD and SVC got to see the 'new' show, and after talking to my friend, "Iggy" Bob Simons, one of the 8 Fab frenchies, he was surprized they were as close as they were.  Stars & Stripes blew me away!  I will always think that if that show had been done from the first, they could have repeated.

However, BD was really f'ing awesome.  The North triples always had something going for them.  They were not to be denied.

Pat

"Madsion's 'First' 1976 Show":

I was fortunate enought to see both the "Early" and "Late Seasons's" Madison Scouts programs. The "First Tour" program was not at all bad (the Scouts did exchange placements with Santa Clara & 27th Lancers while 'touring' in Colorado and the West Coast) but it "Just wasn't Madison".

It speaks volumes of the talent levels of the marching membership and the abilities of that years instructional staff to take the unit into a "Mid Season Camp", completely rewrite the program and come roaring back into serious Championship contention by Nationals.

I have always thought that if Madison had just one more day of practice time, they would have won Finals. They absoulutly ROCKED comming "Off the Line" with that arrangement of 'Stars & Stripes'. The rest of their 'Night Show' performance wasn't bad either.

As it was they finished in second place, with a marching program that they had only been performing for a few weeks.

Elphaba

My last year marching was '77, and I thought Tholo was already drum major.  Maybe 2nd banana, but still a drum major.  Am I wrong here?

He was the assistant to Drum Major John Schrack.

Thanks for clearing some of those faulty memory banks. I stand corrected. Doug played bari from 1971-1976, was Assistant DM in 1977, and DM in 1978.

MYNWA

• 10 years later...