Celebrity Alumni?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the people I see mentioned here would hardly qualify as "famous" as far as the general public is concerned (does John Q Public know the names of the musicians in Letterman's band, for instance?).  Perhaps "notable" would be a better word.

As far as Spirit is concerned, notable/famous alumni include Scott Collier (drummer for Brother Cane), Chris Martin (principle trumpet for Atlanta Symphony Orchestra), and Carla Azar (talented LA drummer). I'm sure there are others I've neglected...

Another notable Spirit drumline alum is Beth (Hardcastle) Gottlieb, wife of Pat Methany Group drummer Danny Gottlieb and quite a performer herself:

http://www.dannygottlieb.com/beth/bio.htm

Edited by oldsoprano

Glenn Kotche, drummer for Wilco, marched in the Cavaliers snare line in (I believe) 1989. He's also a UK Grad.

Also - he may not be famous, but it is notable that another Cav's snare drummer hat marched 97-00, Mark Hunter, is the marimba soloist for "Marimba Spiritual" for the Japanese BLAST! tour.

Doug

People are quick to dismiss the Madonna/drum corps link, mostly because people assume it was the Bayonne Bridgemen she marched in. That was not the group she was in. She was in a corps from her home state of Michigan. There was a corps in BRIDGMAN, and there was also a corps from the Michigan/Ontario area called the Bluewater Bridgemen. Several biographical sketches on Madonna show her as being a member of such a corps. She did take twirling lessons when she was in junior high school, which was the time these corps were active in Michigan.

Drumming legends Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham both marched. I think Gadd was with Rochester Crusaders and Billy was with the Skyliners. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong on those. Jazz drummer Roy McCurdy who has played with tons of artists over the years also marched. Not sure what corps but it may have been Caballeros.