some old corps photos

After 10 years on DCP, it seems that most of us have purged our scrapbooks and are running out of archival pictures. Having said that, I'm going to take the opportunity to be a little self-indulgent and perhaps take this thread in a different direction at the same time.

For those of us who have been involved in This Thing Of Ours, we've shared stories and spoken at length about the joy we've gotten from our experience. Because the drum corps experience has become such an integral part of who we are and who we've become, it's only understandable that we would want to share that experience with our children.

My little boy, Ryan (he's not so little anymore - 26), decided that he wanted to become a trumpet player like his old man. At the time, I was still on staff with Surf, so he spent the majority of his summers as a young boy getting a taste of the drum corps experience. Going into the 2001 season, Mother & I decided that Ryan was old enough to give marching a shot, so he became a member of the Jersey Surf brass section. For the majority of the next 10 years (taking the occasional season off to earn $$$ for college), I got to watch my little boy grow up in the activity. I know that I'm not alone in saying that it's entirely possible that the pride, pleasure and satisfaction I got from watching my son march may have very well exceeded the pleasure I got from the 30+ years I was involved myself.

Anyone else out there have pictures or stories to share? Here are mine:

Ryan%20Surf%2001_zpsrsdfrbie.jpg

He's the little guy, 3rd from the left

Ryan%20Surf%2005_zpsj7hpnsls.jpg

Front & center, after Div. II Finals

Ryan%20Surf%20Horn%20Arc%2007_zpsa8ryt9n

Ryan%20Surf%2007_zpsfwna1isp.jpeg

2010 - Ageout year

Ryan%20Surf%2010_zpsnsefkg0p.jpg

We all have scrapbooks of our kids during the formative years. For me, having one like this that bears so many similarities to the ones my folks kept for me as a kid can't be topped for me!

After 10 years on DCP, it seems that most of us have purged our scrapbooks and are running out of archival pictures. Having said that, I'm going to take the opportunity to be a little self-indulgent and perhaps take this thread in a different direction at the same time.

For those of us who have been involved in This Thing Of Ours, we've shared stories and spoken at length about the joy we've gotten from our experience. Because the drum corps experience has become such an integral part of who we are and who we've become, it's only understandable that we would want to share that experience with our children.

My little boy, Ryan (he's not so little anymore - 26), decided that he wanted to become a trumpet player like his old man. At the time, I was still on staff with Surf, so he spent the majority of his summers as a young boy getting a taste of the drum corps experience. Going into the 2001 season, Mother & I decided that Ryan was old enough to give marching a shot, so he became a member of the Jersey Surf brass section. For the majority of the next 10 years (taking the occasional season off to earn $$$ for college), I got to watch my little boy grow up in the activity. I know that I'm not alone in saying that it's entirely possible that the pride, pleasure and satisfaction I got from watching my son march may have very well exceeded the pleasure I got from the 30+ years I was involved myself.

2010 - Ageout year

We all have scrapbooks of our kids during the formative years. For me, having one like this that bears so many similarities to the ones my folks kept for me as a kid can't be topped for me!

He looks just like the old man. How're his up top chops?

He's definitely blessed with the "family face", however, I can still take him in a fight (as long as it lasts 5 minutes or less!!)

Edited by doublc

2010 - Ageout year

A photo I took on August 12 2010, 1 of 4 I took that day, the other 3 were of Indy and friends. It was my first time viewing modern drum corps since 1983.

IMG_0105_zpsy1kaapxy.jpg

• Like 1

A photo I took on August 12 2010, 1 of 4 I took that day, the other 3 were of Indy and friends. It was my first time viewing modern drum corps since 1983.IMG_0105_zpsy1kaapxy.jpg

Lindap,

From a personal/family standpoint, there's a fitting bit of symmetry to your dates. The last time you saw modern drum corps (1983), was my first year marching World Class, and the next time (2010) was my son's last year. Enjoyed the picture-even though the kids are teeny, I can see mine :). Thanks!