Semi Finals/Finals Predictions

Says who? Since the early 70s they have never been below 5th. If they have gone that long, they can just as easily double it and go another 30+ years never placing below 3rd. My gosh they went over a decade now not placing below 3rd.

Says the laws of nature and statistics, which don't give two figs about what you or I want. It will happen someday.

The FSU Seminoles were a tremendous dynasty, placing in the top4 for 14 years in a row...then fell out.

The Boston Celtics and LA Lakers both had huge runs as dynasties...then fell on some real hard time for a few years.

The NY Yankees are a huge dynasty....but didn't win one single championship in the 1980s, and had a few last-palce finishes.

Life is all about balance. One thing must balance another. I very much doubt BD will go another 30 years without falling out of the top 5...I would imagine it might even be less than 10 years. I don't think it will happen this year, but...yes, whether you want it to happen or not, it will happen someday.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life is all about balance.  One thing must balance another.  I very much doubt BD will go another 30 years without falling out of the top 5...I would imagine it might even be less than 10 years.  I don't think it will happen this year, but...yes, whether you want it to happen or not, it will happen someday.

Cases in point to Nikk's last sentence:

1977: Oakland Crusaders place 15th overall in prelims and WIN drums (prelims).

1977: Bridgemen are d/q'd after DCI Prelims in Denver, but win a court ordered injunction to march the following night in finals anyway.

1983: The first year of East Coast dominance of the DCI Championship (Garfield Cadets won in 1983, 1984, 1985) putting to rest that only West Coast or Midwest corps had a chance to win the DCI title.

1983: A corps from southern Florida places 6th at DCI finals!!!!

1988: Madison Scouts do a 3 week European tour, come back to win the DCI title.

1994: Not one but TWO corps from the state of Ohio make DCI Finals!!

That's just a few......

:)

Says the laws of nature and statistics,

Actually, so far the "laws of nature and statistics" seem to indicate as fact that BD is capable of going 30+ years never placing below 5th. Based on your own criteria, BD can go another 30+years. Not trying to argue. Just trying to make you see the other side of the coin.

1. The Cadets

2. The Cavaliers

3. Blue Devils

4. Phantom (sooooo close to BD, only a couple tenths)

5. Madison

6. Bluecoats

7. Crown

8. Boston

9. SCV

10. BK

11. Glassmen

12. Spirit

13. Crossmen (will try to make a run for it!)

14.Colts

15. Mandarins

16. Southwind

17. Cascades

18. Capital Regiment (will flop with Cascades and PC alot for the final spot)

19. Pacific Crest (see above) (either of these 3 could do it,..just my hunch that the Cascades wont drop out of semis)

Wow! Alot of people are picking the Cadets to win! :)

The family is rootin' for you Richard!!!! (inside thing)

Nate B)

theres my buck-o-five

Actually, so far  the "laws of nature and statistics" seem to indicate as fact that BD is capable of going 30+ years never placing below 5th. Based on your own criteria, BD can go another 30+years.

I don't see that, you'll have to explain it to me. I don't think the laws of nature and statistics have much care for the time frames involved. Everything just balances out. DCI, in the scheme of things, is fairly young.

I think the same thing could be said about, say, the U.S. Right now, it is the world's only remaining superpower. But if you look through history, you will see examples of many superpowers (Romans, Greeks, French, Germans, British, Ottoman, Soviet, etc) that have fallen by the wayside. Of course, some of these "falls" took dozens, maybe hundreds of years. Anyone who thinks the United States will not fall at some point in the future (and we have no way of knowing how far down the line) is simply ignoring history.

Sure, you can twist history to give you some other facts. For example, what you are doing is saying that the Blue Devils have been in the top 5 for the last 30 years, therefore, that should mean they could be in the top 5 for the NEXT 30 years. But if we look at broader history (in terms of DCI), we see that there are many corps of BD's caliber that have fallen out of the top 5, even if only for one year. And that is all I am really saying....I'm not saying that BD will fall out of the top 5 forever! Just that, some year down the line, they will place out of the top 5.

You can have your opinion on it, and I can have mine, and unless it happens this year I don't think I will really remember this conversation and feel a need to post a "neener neener neeee-ner, told you so!" kind of post. But mark my words...it WILL happen sometime. Time is the greatest equalizer.

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Bluecoats

5. Phantom Regiment

6. Crown

7. Scouts

8. SCV

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Crossmen

13. Spirit

14. Colts

15. Capital Regiment

16. Southwind

17. Mandarins

18. Pacific Crest

19. Seattle Cascades

20. Magic

21.. Esperanza

22. Troopers

23. Pioneer

24. Kiwanis Kavaliers

1. Cadets

2. Cavaliers

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Scouts

5. Blue Devils

6. Bluecoats

7. Crown

8. SCV

9. Boston Crusaders

10. Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Crossmen

13. Spirit

14. Colts

15. Southwind

16. Capital Regiment

17. Mandarins

18. Pacific Crest

19. Seattle Cascades

20. Magic

21. Troopers

22. Esperanza

23. Pioneer

24. Kiwanis Kavaliers

01 - The Cavaliers

02- Phantom Regiment

03 - The Cadets

04 - Madison Scouts

05 - Blue Devils

06 - Bluecoats

07 - Santa Clara Vanguard (one word: EXPERIENCE)

08 - Carolina Crown

09 - Blue Knights

10 - Boston Crusaders

11 - Spirit

12 - Mandarins

This prediction is a hope as much as anything else