Garfield 1983-1984 mellophone soloist

I've been wondering after watching those DVDs...it's almost as if her left glove is tied around the bottom of horn. Who is this soloist, and what's the deal here?

I've been wondering after watching those DVDs...it's almost as if her left glove is tied around the bottom of horn. Who is this soloist, and what's the deal here?

That's Barbara Moroney. She has an artificial limb. The glove covers the metal hook, and she used that hand to hold the instrument. From what I recall, the 4 count horns up and horns down move was instituted to accomodate her.

She had an artifical hand, I believe.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the entire way the corps does its horns up and down now is a tribute to her.

Been a long time, and I'm going from memory, though. :)

Barbara Moroney is probably the greates soloist in the long and stories history of the Cadets.

She was born with no left arm from the elbow down (thus, she has to lip everything that would otherwise have used the 1st valve trigger)...I belive she even had a concert French horn made for right handed use.

In 83 the fingers of her glove were sinply tied around the bottom of her mello...that's what you're seeing. in 84 she actually had a prosthetic device...I think it was a claw...her glove was over it and she was able to actually grip the valve casing.

Howcome it takes a Blue Devil to explain something about a CADET????

Edited by 84BDsop

I just love Barbara, while everyone was wowed with Ms. Ott, I was wowed with Barbara. Her playing style, everything. :whistle:

My aunt only has one arm, (lost in an accident) and she played basketball, so I could tell when I saw her that she had one (Barbara).

Y'know what really says how good she was??? Check out her solo in "I Have a Love" in the 84 show...I timed that last note...20 seconds on one breath (the pikcup and gthe final note)...no circular breathing...no degradation of tone, rock solid all the way...and she doesn't even look like she's trying!!

BD had a chance to catch Garfield's show fro the audience POV during a clinic at Pt. Huron -- someone house both corps at the show site (oh yeah...THAT was smart!)...when she hit that note, you just heard a corpsgasm from us.....stunning!

A shame the show got rained out that night right before we were going to head over.

Barbara's solo performance in 1983 was simply beautiful. A two-valved mellophone is not the easiest instrument to play in tune and she absolutely nailed it. We toured with them on second tour and were duly impressed with the way she played.

Barbara's solo performance in 1983 was simply beautiful.  A two-valved mellophone is not the easiest instrument to play in tune and she absolutely nailed it.  We toured with them on second tour and were duly impressed with the way she played.

Barbara = God

:whistle:

Reading this thread reminds me of how breathtakingly beautiful her solos were. Now I'm going to have to get out my "Legacy" DVDs and experience those shows again!