bach?

rancidrolla

why doesent anyone use bach horns?

Because Bach isn't what it once was. And their marching brass is more student model-ish. The same could be said about King up until recent history. Except back when King actually did G bugles. I don't think Bach even offers a full line of marching brass either, they only have select sections iirc. No french horns, only convertable tubas or sousaphones, etc...

When I was in the army(mid-90's) we ordered some bach 16's and one of them had a bell stamp the severly warped the bell. But that didn't stop them from sending it to us anyway. And I've seen a lot of recent stuff in other forums over the newer bach mouthpieces having some quality control issues. Kind of a shame, they used to be a standard of sorts.

Shadow_7

Also, the Bach horns, from what I have seen, are carbon copies of the Yamaha models (pre-Cadets and Cavies innovations) but with longer valve throws. No reason to buy them when you could get the "new" version of the same horn from Yamaha.

Guest mafields627

I do believe that Bach marching brass was made by Yamaha. I don't know if that has changed or not. The quality of the trumpets is very inconsistent. Some horns play poorly, others play ok, others are a dream. Better off with Yamaha where you can trust a whole lot of instruments.

Bach Mercedes Marching Brass in the 1980's were direct copies of the olds marching brass. They bought the tooling from olds for marching brass, and Low brass when olds closed in 1979. The newer stuff has been redesigned, and oddly enough does look like yamaha. I don't know why the did it... I always thought you don't fix what ain't broke. Bach's better idea. I Guess.

Bach horns are crap, whether it's marching or pro "legit" horns.

wurd...

The current bachs are copies of the old king marching brasss (the pre-ultimate series). Bach offers a mello, bari, and sousa. Before Bach/Selmer merged with Conn/UMI the Bach line were Yamaha copies.

Edited by jameseuph

Bach horns are crap, whether it's marching or pro "legit" horns.

For trombones, at least in the 80's a lot of pro's used Bach horns. Not because they were the best horns. But because the intonation tendancies between octaves didn't require a lot of adjustment. One of the sweetest trombone sounds I've heard was on a bach 16 and a bach 11C mouthpiece. Thinking late 80's norweigen cruise line commercial type sound. Not that the quality of modern bach horns match some of those older models.

Which is what I like about Kanstuls these days. The intonation tendancies let you play more with less adjustment. And the tune any note is a sane/good idea. As a few of the groups I've played with wouldn't know the word consistency, even if it came in a pair of cement gloshes.

Shadow_7