bach?

rancidrolla

As far as I know, they make a 3/4 convertible tuba and a sousaphone. No big marching tuba with the valves in a more comfortable position. That could be a deal breaker. The other thing would be getting 20 trumpet players to find 20 bach trumpets that have a consistant sound and play in tune with each other. Nothing against bach horns. I have two. It's just not the kind of instrument that lends itself well to a very large brass ensemble.

I'm former Navy Show Band 66-69 and we used the Conn Constellation. What a great all-around horn this was. Free blowing and all. It was a great lead horn as well as a section horn. I wish this horn was being reproduced today as it was then. As far as Bach horns, I play a Bach Horn (model 195) and they only made a 1000 of them to mark the jointure of Bach and Selmer. The bell an body was designed by Loyd Fillio after a certin 1930's type Besson. Fortunately my horn plays fantastic, and I do a lot of shows for Motown Artist and touring stars. I have never found another horn to play like it, however we ordered several new standard Bachs for our National Guard Band and the precission craftmanship which Bach dominated once is not what it used to be. The horns now have to be sent to the shop to be deburred before being played because of the excess sodering and etc. If you order a new horn make sure you specify you want a top shelf horn.. Just like in a bar the top shelf wiskey brands are the best, the same goes for factory top shelf models. They have been tested and are found to play like a horn should play. These horns are reserved for the professional who call and says "I NEED A GOOD HORN." Everything else sent out usually doesn't even play close to these horns. I understand a new company has Edward Trumpets on the market and although I have never played one, I hear they have received excellent reviews.

I would love to hear anyone else's views on any of the above mentioned info.

Bob Menear

Well, now I'm really undecided about Strads. I keep hearing that they're either junk or some of the best

sounding trumpets around. How about Getzen? Are those old Doc Severisen (sp?) Getzen Eterna Trumpets made and play well?

Well, now I'm really undecided about Strads. I keep hearing that they're either junk or some of the best

sounding trumpets around. How about Getzen? Are those old Doc Severisen (sp?) Getzen Eterna Trumpets made and play well?

Many of the older bachs are great horns. The newer ones are more hit and miss as quality control seems to have slipped.

I have a Getzen American Heritage Field Trumpet. And even though it's the low end model, it rips. At least on the Bb side. With the G crook, it's doesn't speak as well and seems a little stuffy. But it's very well made. Nice case too. Relative to the buglecraft I was using it's night and day. Relative to my Kanstul powerbore, it's slightly better playing. But I'm a Euph guy, so that upper brass thing isn't really my cup of tea. But for some reason I ended up playing mello last season.

Well, now I'm really undecided about Strads. I keep hearing that they're either junk or some of the best sounding trumpets around.

They're both. This isn't a problem when it's one person picking a trumpet to play professionally with no more than 4 or 5 other trumpet players at a time. You can end up with an amazing horn partially due to the inconsistancies in their manufacture. The problem is it would take about 2 dozen horns per member to pick a good, matched set of 24. That's 576 trumpets for those keeping score. Yamaha and other brands have the advantage of being much more consistant. If the medium large xenos don't sound good, try the large bore xenos, and so on.

• 8 years later...

I was about to ask this same question, but then I realized after a quick google search that it was already asked by me and answered 9 years ago.. Weird

Anywho, does anyone know if Bach has added to or updated their horns? If so It would be cool to see new quality brands out in the drum corps world. Also I'm really interested to hear how Rythm X Winds sound on the new Adams line, don't think any groups have played on those yet.