Blue Devils 1993

wow... so i just saw the 1993 DVD and BD's brass was really impressive. Looks like the guard had a rough run, and some of the visual package looked like it could have used some cleaning to really hang with the top 3 that year, but from a strictly brass standpoint... i thought it was great! Thats such a different style for them from the last... decade? but i really loved it. any insights about that year from those of you who wernt 11 years old when it was 1993 like me? hehe...

I wish BD (or any corps really) would feature a baritone soloist like they had that year. Good God that guy was a beast.

But doesn't this belong in the Historical forum?

• Like 1

I thought the brass book was exceptional...lots of solis and solos all over the place that let all the voices shine....a lot different than the Devils brass books now that rely on more trumpet heavy solo work (not that it's not still good playing, of course.)

Vintage BD. :)

the soprano and bari duet in the ballad....Oh...it just melts me.....I can listen to that ballad and that show over and over again....

It always pisses me off when no one cheers after the bari thing facing backfield but they freak out when the sop solo does his stuff. That bari solo is insane.

• Like 1

But you know as well as I do that Baritones don't need the ego boost to know we're bad ###. B)

• Like 2

wow... so i just saw the 1993 DVD and BD's brass was really impressive. Looks like the guard had a rough run, and some of the visual package looked like it could have used some cleaning to really hang with the top 3 that year, but from a strictly brass standpoint... i thought it was great! Thats such a different style for them from the last... decade? but i really loved it. any insights about that year from those of you who wernt 11 years old when it was 1993 like me? hehe...

I was only 11 in 1993 as well, but have to agree that this may have been the best Blue Devils brassline of all-time! I don't quite have the words to describe it..