Wayne Monarchs, anyone?

Hi

we competed in a few Garden State shows in the 70's. We mainly did the Northeastern, Yankee and some of greater New York circuits. I remember the Monarchs! I remember lots of corps from back then ( drum corps on every corner..it seemed)...and I try to remember what their colors were too! (I know...wierd! Did the Monarchs wear green..and black? not sure))

Surfers 68-75ish (I think)

Sword Excalibur 76 (aged out)

Green and black, that was us. We also had the shakos that were angled forward in the back. I think the corp bought them from the Ballantine Brewers of Newark. I remember the Surfers. The one reason is because we partied with a few behind the buses one time. Can't remember the details, but who would?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know your dad worked with the Monarchs...probably before my time.

Mike he was there with Jack Taylor

I marched '71 through '76. Played soprano and worked with the hornline '76 - '78? In '75 - '76 I marched with Bellville and finished the season with the Monarchs after DCI. Great times and great parties! I remember Mickey pretty well. We worked with some little corps in Asbury Park together. I do recall you but I don't recall us having much interaction. But hey! Look where we are now. Ain't life grand?

And thanks for the scoop on Alan and Josh. I'll try to hunt them dowm.

I guess you interacted more with Doug Taylor and Doug Rutan on horn stuff then...your name rings a slight bell. Both Doug's are still music teachers or at least they were up to recently.

Did you ever march with the Monarch boys winter guard?

I guess you remember Jack Taylor...I saw two of his daughters, Dorie and Linda, at the DCI through the years show at Regal.

Our lead soloist (remember "If You Believe" from the Wiz?), Matt Krempasky, is now band director at Somerville HS here in NJ, BTW.

Take care,

Mike

Mike he was there with Jack Taylor

Well, my first year was the last year of the actual Monarchs...we merged with the Greenwood Lake Lakers midway through the year to become the King's Regiment...so he may have worked with Jack before my time.

Good to know!

I guess you interacted more with Doug Taylor and Doug Rutan on horn stuff then...your name rings a slight bell. Both Doug's are still music teachers or at least they were up to recently.

Did you ever march with the Monarch boys winter guard?

I guess you remember Jack Taylor...I saw two of his daughters, Dorie and Linda, at the DCI through the years show at Regal.

Our lead soloist (remember "If You Believe" from the Wiz?), Matt Krempasky, is now band director at Somerville HS here in NJ, BTW.

Take care,

Mike

Let's see, I did winter guard '71 through maybe '75. Can't remember exact dates. I was a saber (still have the scars on my hands).

Dorie and Linda should remember my name. Haven't heard from Doug Taylor in many years. I still think often and fondly of Big Jack. would have loved to see him evolve with drum corps. He always embraced progress and was quite the inovator. I remember once Bobby Hoffman came up to him after one of shows and they talked about show design for a while. Jack was glowing for days after that!

Remember Dave Willer? He is also a music teacher in Sussex County. Does a pretty big jazz band thing from what I've heard.

Thanks for the memories! Feel free to PM me if we're taking up too much post space.

Warm Regards,

Joe

Remember Dave Willer? He is also a music teacher in Sussex County. Does a pretty big jazz band thing from what I've heard.

Dave went to high school in Wayne. I was Asst band director at Wayne Valley at the time.

He was quite the cutup...but a very good drummer!

I marched in the Garden State Circuit in 1973 and 1974 with the Saints. The Saints were the 1974 Garden State Champions---still remember winning the title.

Once the corps won the title, they left the circuit like most other corps did at the time (Muchachos, Bridgement etc) I continued to march with the Saints until 1976.

I marched in the Garden State Circuit in 1973 and 1974 with the Saints. The Saints were the 1974 Garden State Champions---still remember winning the title.

Once the corps won the title, they left the circuit like most other corps did at the time (Muchachos, Bridgement etc) I continued to march with the Saints until 1976.

From the Woodbridge area....I dated a gal around 1971 from the Saints...she played soprano, I think. Lived in Colonia.

If memory serves they did a nice job on "My Way" as a closer one year, and they opened with the Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor.

Take care,

Mike

Matt is also one of the horn instructors for the Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni Corps, and I might add that he is doing a phenomenal job!!!

He is also the lead trumpet player with my 18-piece big band, The Jordan Thomas Orchestra, and he has been doing a phenomenal job with us, as well!!!

By the way, I attended one Wayne Monarchs rehearsal back in 1974 or 1975, (I think), and there are two things that stick out in my mind...

Jack Taylor standing on top of the corps bus shouting directions to the corps, and George Vonderschmidt, a friend and fellow alumnus of Bergenfield High School, trying to convince me to join!!! :P

Edited by overthehillDM

From the Woodbridge area....I dated a gal around 1971 from the Saints...she played soprano, I think. Lived in Colonia.

If memory serves they did a nice job on "My Way" as a closer one year, and they opened with the Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor.

originally from colonia mike