Best DM Ever

Human metronomes? Being someone who's studied conducting and uses that skill on a regular basis, I have to disagree. One of the more recent Scout DM's, Dean Phalen was a great conductor.

If you look at the great conductors of orchestras over the years, many could also be considered human metronomes based on they're technique.

As for all time DCI...Daniel Veerhusen. No question.

I was student conductor at Duke Ellington School of the Arts ( wind ensemble and jazz band) Drum Major for Drum Corps and Marching Band. I've studied conducting too. I stand by my statement. I'm just talking drum corps. :-)

• Like 2

I was student conductor at Duke Ellington School of the Arts ( wind ensemble and jazz band) Drum Major for Drum Corps and Marching Band. I've studied conducting too. I stand by my statement. I'm just talking drum corps. :-)

I think, unfortunately, this is a topic that people look at a small sampling of corps, from a small sampling of years, and forget that there is a whole world out there.

For god's sake, there are people that conduct full patterns in jazz music, even Stan Kenton in many performances and depending upon the work, and others that simply cue and gesture.

• Like 1

Roger Roussel Cavaliers 70-73

Jim Montgomery Troopers 70

Jim Zimney Freelancers Late 70's

THat would be PAUL Zimny actually...

10882348_10205459691513274_4000119754891

10849841_10152912218380842_4941632704433

The '89 Freelancers drum major that had the thrasher haircut. That guy was intense, talented, and a blast to watch! Almost as fun as the corps! I think he was the DM for two or three seasons?

89.. we had Bill Storey and Larry Goodale... Neither one had a "thrasher" haircut though... You sure your're not thinking of 90 (Chad Humpal)? He had a striking blonde haircut!

• Like 1

Kristy Spears

Has nobody mentioned Ashley Tappan (Star 89 and 90)?

Edited by Agogobell28

Out of all the hundreds of great Drum Majors, (a few of whom I've stood beside at retreat a time or two ), there is one that stands out above all others and whose mere presence commanded respect . In my opinion, he was the epitome of all that typifies greatness in a Drum Major....... the one and only..... TRUMAN CRAWFORD. (He has conducted numerous time at DCI, so he'd fit the definition if we are flexible with that definition ) May he never be forgotten for all that he has contributed to the the Drum Corps movement in this Country, and may he R.I.P.

Pretty amazing! Truman Crawford: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truman_Crawford

Edited by drumcorpsfever

the one that kept the corps in time and didn't focus on anything else

• Like 1