I think that Phantom Regiment's Faust show might be the best show

I cannot stop listening to Regiment's 2006 show simply because I think the quality of sound that the hornline produced was by far some of the best quality I've heard out of any hornline in a good long while... Regiment always displays a mature sound, but this year, for some reason, they were able to take it to the next level, reaching new volumes with a deep, more rich resonance that I have ever personally experienced.

To anyone who marched Regiment 2006: In an activity that sometimes applauds volume over quality, thank you for setting a fine example!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also unfortunate for them that they saved their worst brass performance of the show for the last three or four chords of the show, ESPECIALLY the one right before the final halt. All you can hear is a few tired lead trumpets and euphs holding on and putting as much sound as they can through the bell. If I ever wanted to explain to an "outsider" what the meaning of "dropping a phrase" is, I would play that chord for them; directly after the final ascending half notes, it sounds like less than ten people out of the 6327426 hornline members they had last year were playing. Pretty much everything after the '03 mello ending reprise thing sounds horrible....most of the hornline is backing up, and both look (seriously) and sound like they should have ended the show a minute or two before.

That's your opinnion - but I simply do not see where you're getting this from. At most I'd say the chord might taper back a bit from where it starts (to a volume that many corps never achieve), consider that the line is moving away from the mics at a good pace with the horns to the box. I think it is really unfair to say that it sounds like 10 people are playing - something tells me a brass or music GE judge would have somehting to say if that were the case.

You didn't care for the style? cool. You think it's being overhyped? a valid opinnion...but what you said came off as seriously harsh. No one is perfect - no one.

[if you look hard enough there are several huge mistakes on the Blast dvd as well, and those people are professionals that had been performing that show for a very long time].

You can even listen to the Music Effect Judge complementing the actual sustain of the chords.

The Music GE Judge complemented a lot more than that. Here are some examples:

"Be still my heart!"

"This is amazing - absolutely amazing - you are touching my very soul!"

"I think I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke!"

"Go Mellos - go for the jugular!"

"I don't need to talk - it’s irreverent to talk during this!"

"I really don't have much to say to you, except that you are absolutely wonderful. There are a few fleeting moments, human moments where the bar that you set so high might be less than perfect, but this reeks of much more than a competitive environment - this reeks of wonderful musicianship, soulful musicianship, tasteful musicianship and artistry beyond belief. You.....are......wonderful!"

I love listening to his comments during Phantom's show.

I'll send you quarterfinals APD and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Telling him to listen to an APD to get an idea what something sounded like? Interesting move. Also kind of strange that you need to go to such great lengths for their brass problems to go away....

The DVD was on a TV or whatever (with a pretty good system; I don't know what settings were on when I watched it), and the semis multicam recording is just on my computer.

I know the horns were marching away from the box. Many drum corps have avoided dropping in volume and intensity while backing up, but the corps in question didn't do so at the end of their closer. I don't see why its so hard to acknowledge it. I guess it goes to prove the often-mentioned theory that DCP has a issue with saying or hearing negative things about the Phantom Regiment. It just can't happen. I felt the need to write my post after reading pages of people expressing that they think Faust is the best show ever...I've followed this activity for a while and have picked up opinions, favorite shows, etc.....when a show is declared "the best show ever" and it wasn't even one of my favorite two of the year, I might as well explain what the things were that bothered me about it (namely from a brass standpoint).

Anyway, I love this show regardless of execution or placement. What a fantastic and emotional show. The best visual effect and musical showmanship of 2006, excellently crafted and very classy. Great uniforms, great colors, great horn book, and great percussion.

In Sum, by far my Favorite Phantom Regiment show ever and possibly one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time.