Old Senior Corps Photos

OK, Mr. Tech Head. A mono phono cartridge sensed variations in the bottom of the groove. Stereo carts had two elements with axis at 60 degrees, and sensed variations in the sides of the groove. The wrong cartridge might still function {especially with a few pennies taped onto the tonearm) but would prematurely wear out the grooves in the LP. You could put a stereo cart into a mono machine, and wire the elements in parallel. This way, you could at least play the newfangled platters, although the output was only mono.

My first reel-to-reel tape recorder had stereo heads, but only a mono amp. I could overdub by bouncing tracks, but ultimately had to patch the unit to an external amp to get playback on both tracks.

Away at college (UW Madison) I of course had no piano. But a borrowed Hohner Pianet, plugged into that same reel-to-reel machine, was used to check out all my arranging projects.

Iron Lips, ya got anything to add to this history lesson?

You and Dorritie are like a master class in pretty much anything to do with music and music tech.

As a low/no tech guy I read in wonder, the way I read science fiction as a kid.

I've been really fortunate to get to occasionally hang around in the same room as some really smart people.

My elbows have gotten smarter from rubbing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

RAY IN 1976 YOU WHERE PLAYING A SHOW THAT ENDED WITH HAPPY BRITHDAY .I CAN STILL HEAR THE JUDGES TAPE WHEN HE RELIZED WHAT THE CORPS WAS PLAYING .LOL

I know that show and guys in my corps argued that it was NOT Happy Birthday. Then they heard it again and remembered the it was the Bicentennial.... Great post for the 4th...

• 2 weeks later...

ray i see you and andy.

Edited by kiwidrummer