1987 Finals PA Announcer

I love listening to the 87 cd's, even though the recordings are shady :sshh: , but the great part is at the end of some of the shows you can hear the PA announcer. I'm not sure if it is Brandt Crocker or not. The voice seems lower, and the delivery much slower. Anyways, I like it.

I asked Brandt about this at the end of August. I'm going to refer to two e-mails he sent me about it.

Chicago radio announcer and DCI judge Jim Unrath announced 1974 in Ithaca for reasons unspecified. 1975 was announced by the Philadelphia mayor's executive assistant because the city was involved in pulling in the championships. The second year in Montreal (1982) Brandt was not allowed to touch the microphone—what I'm about to tell you is absolutely true—due to an act of Parliament. This was due to the previous year at finals when the scores were being announced by Brandt in English and then someone in French and that guy's microphone cord was broken and he couldn't do his part. Brandt thought things would be okay because the scores were being shown on the Jumbotron in both languages and the translator told him to keep going. But word got back to Parliament and they took umbrage at having anything announced in public in just English. Finally, in Madison in 1985, a local radio station donated $10,000 to DCI but insisted their number one disc jockey announce finals. That was the guy who didn't realize the people "Blooing" for Bluecoats were praising the corps and not "Booing" them, so he lectured the audience. And some wonder why Michael Cesario has long stated, "They're not Booing, they're Blooing." Contest manager Bob Briske then put his foot down and there have been no outsiders announcing since.

So...Brandt WAS the announcer in 1987.

Michael -- do I understand your post to imply that Mr. Crocker has announced every DCI finals save for the few exceptions you've mentioned? I was under the impression that Brandt came to the announcer's post after the tenure of Joe Bruno and am fairly certain I heard Mr. Bruno announce several finals in the 70s/80s.

So...Brandt WAS the announcer in 1987.

But it sounds so different from the other shows with Brandt's voice on the recording. Every time I listen to '87 SCV and the announcer booms out "SANTA...CLARA...VANGUARD!!!", I think it's somebody besides Brandt.

But it sounds so different from the other shows with Brandt's voice on the recording. Every time I listen to '87 SCV and the announcer booms out "SANTA...CLARA...VANGUARD!!!", I think it's somebody besides Brandt.

Exactly!!!! If it is him, I wish he would go back to doing it like that. It sounds great.

Or the way he announced "The Skyyy Ryderrrs..."

I also tnhoguht it was someone other than Brandt....the voie was so much deper...like darth Vader compared to other years.

Gonna be very strange when he's gone to hear anyone else....

Michael -- do I understand your post to imply that Mr. Crocker has announced every DCI finals save for the few exceptions you've mentioned? I was under the impression that Brandt came to the announcer's post after the tenure of Joe Bruno and am fairly certain I heard Mr. Bruno announce several finals in the 70s/80s.

Yes. That's the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

Or the way he announced "The Skyyy Ryderrrs..."

I also tnhoguht it was someone other than Brandt....the voie was so much deper...like darth Vader compared to other years.

Gonna be very strange when he's gone to hear anyone else....

His voice sounding deeper could be attributed to a booming sound system.

My thoughts exactly. I could swear it's not Brandt's voice. Maybe he had a sore throat or something... or maybe he was trying out a new voice.