1987 Finals PA Announcer

I don't think Joe Bruno ever announced a DCI Finals event. He did however announce regularly at shows in the Midwest including many years at the DCM championships in DeKalb.

Joe did Whitewater 81, which is on DVD, and also did the morning slate at Whitewater in 81 and 82. Crocker did the afternoon slate.

The announcer in 85-87 was Bill Short (the radio DJ)

Not nearly as bad as 95 & 06, but a friend of mine who marched in finals said there was only one mic - right on the fifty. I just don't think they sounded as good as the few previous years.

Not true .. if you want proof .. just listen to Garfield's opening hit. The euph that is blaring directly into the mic on the 35 yard line.

The announcer in 85-87 was Bill Short (the radio DJ)

That's my man!!! I had forgotten his name. I dug his end-of-show style.

"Ladies and Gentlemen? The Bluecoats."

You can hold out, but don't hold your breath or you might turn purple. It was Brandt Crocker both years. Joe did the Whitewater DCI Midwest finals in 1981, which is the performance from that year that's on the Legacy DVD. Maybe that's what you're remembering.

I asked Brandt about this at the end of August. I'm going to refer to two e-mails he sent me about it.

Chicago radio announcer and DCI judge Jim Unrath announced 1974 in Ithaca for reasons unspecified. 1975 was announced by the Philadelphia mayor's executive assistant because the city was involved in pulling in the championships. The second year in Montreal (1982) Brandt was not allowed to touch the microphone—what I'm about to tell you is absolutely true—due to an act of Parliament. This was due to the previous year at finals when the scores were being announced by Brandt in English and then someone in French and that guy's microphone cord was broken and he couldn't do his part. Brandt thought things would be okay because the scores were being shown on the Jumbotron in both languages and the translator told him to keep going. But word got back to Parliament and they took umbrage at having anything announced in public in just English. Finally, in Madison in 1985, a local radio station donated $10,000 to DCI but insisted their number one disc jockey announce finals. That was the guy who didn't realize the people "Blooing" for Bluecoats were praising the corps and not "Booing" them, so he lectured the audience. And some wonder why Michael Cesario has long stated, "They're not Booing, they're Blooing." Contest manager Bob Briske then put his foot down and there have been no outsiders announcing since.

So...Brandt WAS the announcer in 1987.

Here's the response I got from Brandt regarding prior comments that the above information is incorrect nd that other names were involved in announcing.

<<Mike,

I can't believe what some people talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The information I gave you is correct to my memory. The Bill guy in Madison sounds right. Did he do it for two years?, I honestly don't remember, but I do remember him lecturing the crowd about blooing the Bluecoats because I was at the table and heard him!

Joe Bruno never announced a championship, but did announce some Whitewater regionals early on when I still lived in Casper and could not get there due to DCI budget.

Did I forget anything?

Brandt>>

So, if anyone wishes to dispute anything above, take it up with the big guy!

Here's the response I got from Brandt regarding prior comments that the above information is incorrect nd that other names were involved in announcing.

<<Mike,

I can't believe what some people talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The information I gave you is correct to my memory. The Bill guy in Madison sounds right. Did he do it for two years?, I honestly don't remember, but I do remember him lecturing the crowd about blooing the Bluecoats because I was at the table and heard him!

Joe Bruno never announced a championship, but did announce some Whitewater regionals early on when I still lived in Casper and could not get there due to DCI budget.

Did I forget anything?

Brandt>>

So, if anyone wishes to dispute anything above, take it up with the big guy!

I don't know about him lecturing the audience back in 87, but I do remember at Preview of Champions

in 1991 in Madison he did it after some people boo'd Star of Indiana. He said "Ladies and gentlemen that

is UNCALLED FOR!"

I don't know about him lecturing the audience back in 87, but I do remember at Preview of Champions

in 1991 in Madison he did it after some people boo'd Star of Indiana. He said "Ladies and gentlemen that

is UNCALLED FOR!"

Although 1991 Preview of Champions was in Madison, I remember that incident happening in 1993 at the Preview of Champions in Ypsilanti.

He can't believe what some people talk about?? He should freakin' be HONORED that we give a #### enough TO talk about him, since he's THE VOICE OF DCI! Geeeeeeeeezo pete. You know--he was grumpy when I met him in person last summer--and apparently he's STILL grumpy.