1988 .. an incredible year of change

Looking back at some of the shows and corps that represented DCI in the finals that year, something struck me. Not only was this the tightest scoring year in history, but it saw the most changes (IMHO) that fan$ have ever witnessed. Here's what I noticed the most:

1. Scouts win (no brainer)

2. BD in Black and Grey

3. Cavies play Firebird

4. Star goes from a Circus show to Porgy and Bess?

5. Spirit departs from Southern Jazz to play Stravinsky’s Petroushka

6. VK finds themselves with an advanced and integrated guard

Needless to say, there was some shock to the system in 88. However, I found myself entertained more than ever. BD's hornline was incredible. Scouts were powerful. SCV had the total package (as always). Garfield had a killer show (just off a bit in GE/placed 2nd in horns and 1st in Drums). Cavies had planned on being in the top 3 and ended up 5th behind the most variety I've ever seen in top 5 (I know I'm not old enough to have seen the variety offered in the 70's first hand .. sorry). Star had a powerful hornline and one of the best pits DCI had seen to that point. Phantom was Phantom. VK took the Magical Mystery Tour to a new level!! Suncoast explored consistent aggression with a show concept that was brilliant. The fan$ were yelling BLUUUUUuuuuuuuuu. Lastly, The Sky Ryders were the most fun of all with the Sound of Music. The blind draw from Prelims to Finals was unprecedented as well.

Is this what DCI is missing today? Where every corps has it's own SPECIAL flavor ... where every show is COMPLETELY different...... Was it because there was so much departure from the norm?

What are your thoughts?

Looking back at some of the shows and corps that represented DCI in the finals that year, something struck me. Not only was this the tightest scoring year in history, but it saw the most changes (IMHO) that fan$ have ever witnessed. Here's what I noticed the most:

1. Scouts win (no brainer)

2. BD in Black and Grey

3. Cavies play Firebird

4. Star goes from a Circus show to Porgy and Bess?

5. Spirit departs from Southern Jazz to play Stravinsky’s Petroushka

6. VK finds themselves with an advanced and integrated guard

Needless to say, there was some shock to the system in 88. However, I found myself entertained more than ever. BD's hornline was incredible. Scouts were powerful. SCV had the total package (as always). Garfield had a killer show (just off a bit in GE/placed 2nd in horns and 1st in Drums). Cavies had planned on being in the top 3 and ended up 5th behind the most variety I've ever seen in top 5 (I know I'm not old enough to have seen the variety offered in the 70's first hand .. sorry). Star had a powerful hornline and one of the best pits DCI had seen to that point. Phantom was Phantom. VK took the Magical Mystery Tour to a new level!! Suncoast explored consistent aggression with a show concept that was brilliant. The fan$ were yelling BLUUUUUuuuuuuuuu. Lastly, The Sky Ryders were the most fun of all with the Sound of Music. The blind draw from Prelims to Finals was unprecedented as well.

Is this what DCI is missing today? Where every corps has it's own SPECIAL flavor ... where every show is COMPLETELY different...... Was it because there was so much departure from the norm?

What are your thoughts?

"Is This What DCI is Missing Today":

In a word: Yes. :rock:

Elphaba

One huge thing missing today - MELODY. Look at all the shows from 88. A lot of those shows, you can sing/hum along to note for note and know the whole show. Today, not even close. 88 also had - I believe- the best top 3 ever. Being a huge Scouts fan I am glad they won, but wouldn't have been shocked if SCV or BD won. To bad about how BD reacted after finals. 88 was also the first year when almost all top 12 was using kevlar on snares (except Garfield & Star) so, a big difference in sound. 88 and 89 are two of my alltime favorite years.

Was Todd Ryan still with the Scouts in '88??

Watching that show recently all I could think was "Man, can those guys march!"

Was Todd Ryan still with the Scouts in '88??

Watching that show recently all I could think was "Man, can those guys march!"

Yes .. as well as 89. I think Prelims 88 was the cleanest show I've ever seen. CLEANEST! Todd did some teching in the winter but focussed on writing the drill.

Upset of the year--other than Kansas City.

7/21/1988 Recap

Cheyenne, Wyoming

1. Velvet Knights-------84.0

2. Phantom Regiment--83.1

Also of note at this show:Regiment finished 4th in GE Percussion. They were behind VK-Sky Ryders-Troopers.

Great year of shows...except Finals.......GRRRRRR!! :rock::rock::rock: :mmm:

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Actually we (Cavies) were just happy to be top 5 that year. we had a very rookie heavy corps and were beat by Bluecoats early in the summer!!!!

Believe me 5th was just fine!

Later,

Mike

actually I consider 87 a more significant year with regard to change.

Regiment to all white, Cadets with their still unbelievable show of Appalachian Spring and so on.

That being said, 88 was a wonderful year.

I would also say that Madison's win was FAR from a no-brainer.

NO one thought they were going to win and pretty much everyone thought SCV had it locked up.

SCVs 88 Phantom of the Opera show was superior to their 89 show in almost every way.

It always amazes me how many people go gaga over SCV 89 and then are left with jaws dropped once they see 88.

7/21/1988 Recap

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Also of note at this show:Regiment finished 4th in GE Percussion. They were behind VK-Sky Ryders-Troopers.

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

LOL I actually remember that show. surprised us just a little bit LOL

7/21/1988 Recap

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Gregg,

Where did those scores come from? On your site, you have these scores, which I believe ARE correct:

Casper, WY

Velvet Knights 82.4

Phantom Regiment 80.8

Sky Ryders 63.3

Troopers 63.0

Marauders 56.9

Americanos 44.6

The recap you have connected to it has the Sky Ryders with an 80 something, but I know we didn't break 80 until August 9th or 10th that season. Also, I know we scored a 63.3 in Cheyenne, because we didn't have any equipment or uniforms, so we used loaners from all the other corps with our corps jackets.