Capital Regiment

This is an article I found while searching for info on mbands going to china in 08 for the olympics.

The article says it was written in '01, did anyone ever hear about this? And has it ever happened before/since? (and yes, he's an x-football player so he calls them a MB)

http://www.indignantonline.com/sports/sp072001

"Field Rage

Long-time readers know that I love football. It?s my favorite sport bar none. There?s something about football that brings the testosterone flowing through the body. That is the reason that football players get into so much trouble with things like domestic abuse, because their testosterone is given full reign during practice and games, and it is hard to turn the flow off. That is why I?m not at all surprised about this next story. The strength and conditioning coach at Northern Illinois University was fired this week in an incident of field rage. A scheduling conflict caused a visiting marching band, the Capital Regiment Drum Corps, to be on the field when the coach, John Bizkowski and about 20 players came onto the field for a practice. The band was out there and apparently, Bizkowski got the 20 players to run and wade into the band members. One suffered a hairline fracture of the jaw and another member suffered a severely sprained ankle. Two players were also identified in the incident, and one, along with the coach, are facing battery charges. NIU fired the coach and the two players could also face a student judicial board and possible expulsion.

Now, there was no excuse for this, but it might be hard to come down on the two players involved (as well as the other 18 or so players involved). As an ex-football player myself, when your coach tells you to do something, you are supposed to do it, no matter what it is. If my old high school coach had told me to run into a wall, I would have. For several years after high school, too."

More here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020122033511/.../drumcorps.html

---

STRENGTH COACH FIRED, OTHER DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS TAKEN FOLLOWING JULY 12 DRUM CORPS INCIDENT AT HUSKIE STADIUM

DE KALB — Head strength and conditioning coach John Binkowski was fired today and two football players have been suspended from the team following an incident last Thursday in which Binkowski ordered members of the NIU football team to run through a visiting drum

corps practicing in Huskie Stadium.

Two members of the Capital Regiment drum corps from Columbus, Ohio were injured, one with a hairline fracture of the jaw and the second with a severely sprained ankle.

Binkowski, a two-year veteran of Huskie athletics, was fired early this morning for what the university called "hostile, unprofessional conduct toward university guests that put student athletes in an unacceptably compromised position." An investigation revealed that Binkowski, angered over a stadium scheduling conflict with the band, ordered a group of about 20 football players to run directly through the practicing regiment.

Two players who caused injuries to the young musicians have been identified by the victims. Anthony Falbo, 20, a junior defensive tackle from River Grove, was arrested at the scene, charged with battery and suspended from the football team. A second player was also identified and NIU police say they expect charges to be filed against him as well. Football officials say the second player will also be suspended once charges are filed. The players face a range of student judicial sanctions in addition to the criminal prosecution.

Other student athletes involved in the incident may receive student judicial sanctions pending further investigation into the nature of their involvement. All of those involved also face disciplinary action from head football coach Joe Novak, who is reviewing the matter with

police and other university staff.

Drum Corps Midwest has held its championship competition at NIU for about 15 years. The popular event draws 25 different regiments from around the Midwest, and thousands of spectators from across the country.

NIU President John Peters is overseeing the investigation and subsequent actions related to the incident. He called the matter "appalling," and pledged that the university would "do everything possible to get to the bottom of this."

"I am deeply disturbed by this incident," Peters said. "I have offered my apologies on behalf of the entire NIU community to the drum corps members and their families, and will continue to ensure that their needs are met.

"I can only say that the actions taken by the coach in question and by the players involved were inexcusable. This is not what this university or this athletic program is about, and I am ashamed of the individuals involved."

In addition to the termination and suspensions, Peters announced that the university has waived all of the costs and charges associated with DCM's use of NIU facilities this year. Officials estimate annual DCM rental revenue at between $14,000 and $19,000.

"It is extremely unfortunate that the poor judgment of a small number of individuals should reflect so badly on our university," Peters said. "I am committed to doing whatever it takes to assure the drum corps community that we value and respect them, are very sorry about

this incident, and are working hard to make sure nothing like this ever happens again."

---

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edited by newterak

i know a couple people that marched that year and it sounds about right. A little off topic, I find it pretty amusing that people would do stuff like that just because you were told to. In my book that makes you just plain stupid. Obviously I've never been on a football team so there must be something I'm missing.

agreed, for the most part.

i sort of enjoy when football teams are practicing nearby. i'm kept pretty amused, from the first time we play full-out, to their painful realization that people in band, of all activities, are running around with tan, lightly clad, attractive females that are probably in better shape than they :P

oh, and that story is ridiculous. that's lame.

Edited by siLk

tan, lightly clad, attractive females that are probably in better shape than they :P

Tan? yes.

Lightly clad? also yes.

attractive? sometimes . . . not always . . .

females? well, that all depends. :worthy:

probable that they're in better shape than football players? Not so much.

Now, there was no excuse for this, but it might be hard to come down on the two players involved (as well as the other 18 or so players involved). As an ex-football player myself, when your coach tells you to do something, you are supposed to do it, no matter what it is. If my old high school coach had told me to run into a wall, I would have. For several years after high school, too."

"I was only following orders" didn;t work at Nuremburg....didn;t work here...

Wow, I'm ashamed because I currently attend NIU.

Goodness, DON'T be ashamed! From what I understand the people at NIU handled the problem with dignity and respect. CR handled it also with dignity and respect. Everyone agreed that what happened was senseless, and it was resolved. Seems to me that the people at both CR and NIU were a classy bunch.