SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN.....Gardner Mass

Does anyone remember the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN from Gardner Mass,starting back to the 1960's I think ????....I looking for info for about any one who marched there or was on staff.Also any info on them from 1975-1981....Thanks

email me if you do....yamaha5pc@yahoo.com....

Todd

Does anyone remember the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN from Gardner Mass,starting back to the 1960's I think ????....I looking for info for about any one who marched there or was on staff.Also any info on them from 1975-1981....Thanks

Todd

I remember that they competed at the NT Open in 1976 and took third place in A class behind the Royal Coachmen and the Peterborough Krescendos.

Nice corps too.

I remember that they competed at the NT Open in 1976 and took third place in A class behind the Royal Coachmen and the Peterborough Krescendos.

Nice corps too.

After they folded,the euipment and uniforms went north up to Keene NH,where the birth of the "keene drum & bugle corps" started,then changed names to the "Granite State Garrison".My cousin marched and taught in Simplex,and then went to teach the GSG in Keene untill 1986.Any info is good info

Todd

WOW! Now there's a name from the past. I remember that corps well. I believe they also competed in the Eastern Mass circuit if I recall..

We competed against them in both EMASS and CYO circuits.

If I remember correctly between '78-'80 they competed at the Class A level locally.

I remember competing their show in either 79 or 80 on a sweltering day in Gardner.

In '80 they had some good numbers. Easily marched over 100.

I'll check through my old stuff and see if I can find anything else.

We competed against them in both EMASS and CYO circuits.

If I remember correctly between '78-'80 they competed at the Class A level locally.

I remember competing their show in either 79 or 80 on a sweltering day in Gardner.

In '80 they had some good numbers. Easily marched over 100.

I'll check through my old stuff and see if I can find anything else.

Hey Thanks,that sounds great,i appreciate it....

• 11 months later...

I'm curious if you ever found any additional info? I remember the Lores...and Joe White, but have no idea what became of any of the Simplex folks or those in the corp where many taught--Granite State Garrison. I marched one year--1989--before GSG folded. (I played quads...sort of. :thumbdown: Great times though.)

I just watched a clip of Vanguard from that year, and decided to look around and see if there was anything about GSG online. I'd love a copy of any tapes, or pictures that might be lurking out there.

Try posting to Dick Henward's Yahoo group - Maine Drum and Bugle Corps - they have a lot of folks associated with NH corps that aren't Spartans - you might find a connection.

Link is here.

regards - Jim

I'm curious if you ever found any additional info? I remember the Lores...and Joe White, but have no idea what became of any of the Simplex folks or those in the corp where many taught--Granite State Garrison. I marched one year--1989--before GSG folded. (I played quads...sort of. :grouphug: Great times though.)

I just watched a clip of Vanguard from that year, and decided to look around and see if there was anything about GSG online. I'd love a copy of any tapes, or pictures that might be lurking out there.

......I remember the Lores...and Joe White, but have no idea what became of any of the Simplex folks .....

How about Jimmy Polano (or Polana?). I remember Simplex well - I was teaching the Valley Airs in '78 and subsequently the Magnum Force in '79. In 1980, I returned to teach 27th, and Michael Lorey joined 27th and played snare that year along with Paul Jasonowski. I think Joe White and Jim P waited to join 27th in 1981 - but maybe they were there in 1980. Both played tenor. We also picked up a few from Fitchburg Kingsmen - Chris Dufault who went on to teach NH Spartans for many, many years. The drummers that had been taught by Bill Jamsa were exceptional sight readers and had very strond fundamentals.

I do remember Simplex having support from the Simplex Time Recorder Company, and had a distinctive blue colored cadets style uniform. IIRC, several of the staff were former Boston Crusaders.

I also have fond memories of GSG - having judged them many times in 1984. I remember they were playing Simple Gifts, and there was some musical issues with the drum break. I know I voiced some concern on that segue, as did several other percussion judges. I remember near the end of the season, the phrase was changed and it made a considerable improvement in their final percussion score.

Edited by LancerLegend