SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN.....Gardner Mass

How about Jimmy Polano (or Polana?). I remember Simplex well - I was teaching the Valley Airs in '78 and subsequently the Magnum Force in '79. In 1980, I returned to teach 27th, and Michael Lorey joined 27th and played snare that year along with Paul Jasonowski. I think Joe White and Jim P waited to join 27th in 1981 - but maybe they were there in 1980. Both played tenor. We also picked up a few from Fitchburg Kingsmen - Chris Dufault who went on to teach NH Spartans for many, many years. The drummers that had been taught by Bill Jamsa were exceptional sight readers and had very strond fundamentals.

I do remember Simplex having support from the Simplex Time Recorder Company, and had a distinctive blue colored cadets style uniform. IIRC, several of the staff were former Boston Crusaders.

I also have fond memories of GSG - having judged them many times in 1984. I remember they were playing Simple Gifts, and there was some musical issues with the drum break. I know I voiced some concern on that segue, as did several other percussion judges. I remember near the end of the season, the phrase was changed and it made a considerable improvement in their final percussion score.

I marched in the GSG from 1983-1988,then Sept of 89 to May of 1990 when they folded.My cousin(Ed Sterling) was one of the Simplex former members that went to teach the GSG when Simplex folded and the equipment came to Keene NH.Some of the staff that worked with the GSG were Ed Sterling,Mark Lore,Mike Lore,Joe White,Bill Jamsa,some guy nicknamed "fudge"(brass-soprano),some guy nicknamed "Jazz"...Paul something ????.... taught mallets(front ensemble) Joan Jolie,Reed Desrosiers,Eric Shadine??,Rick Anderson.There was another guy named Tony Koski that worked with Simplex as well either brass or drill ????As for Chris Dufault,he taught me in the Spartans for 1990 & 1991,and I worked w/him on the percussion staff in 1992.Chris Dufault also teach's with me in the Muchachos of Manchester NH,along w/an old marching buddy from the GSG days teaching brass. www.muchachos.org

The Muchachos are an "all-age" corps and were always looking for new members and instructional staff...check us out .... www.muchachos.org or email me "todd" yamaha5pc@yahoo.com

Edited by drumz5150

I'm curious if you ever found any additional info? I remember the Lores...and Joe White, but have no idea what became of any of the Simplex folks or those in the corp where many taught--Granite State Garrison. I marched one year--1989--before GSG folded. (I played quads...sort of. :guinesssmilie: Great times though.)

I just watched a clip of Vanguard from that year, and decided to look around and see if there was anything about GSG online. I'd love a copy of any tapes, or pictures that might be lurking out there.

I marched in thr GSG 1983-1988,and 1990...Todd Breen

• 8 years later...

DISCLAIMER:: Some of the facts, figures, dates mentioned below may be questionable due to the fact that at age 65, my memory isn't quite what it used to be. In any case you'll catch my drift and perhaps learn a thing or two about the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, a Corps that played itself into my life beginning around the age of 12, I joined at age 15., (they rehearsed in a parking log directly behind my house!) they were truly a Godsend and played a key role in my mentorship,growth and development as a youth. My passion for the Corps was stoked in my youth in the early 1960's by SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN and such legends as: 27th Lancers, Casper Wyoming Troopers, Aneheim Kingsmen to name a few,

I had the pleasure of marching with the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN from 1965-1972. I played rudimental bass drum from 1965-1970, and 24" Concert Cymbals 1970-72. Highlights included: Our 9-day? Carribean Cruise Aboard Moore Lines: SS Argentina From NYC to Hamilton Island, Bermuda, Paradise Island and Nassau. Our Corps Represented Massachusetts in 1971 Miss America Pagaent Parade in Atlantic City, NJ, and represented Massachusetts/US in the Gold Cup Festival in Charlotteville, Prince Edward Island, Canada 1971? Upon being awarded the Gold Cup Parade's Best Marching/Muscial Unit they were extended three consecutive annual invites to participate in the Gold Cup Parade and concert performances within the Festivals Arena in the years that followed. Sadly, The Corps Disbanded I believe in 1981 upon the death of Wally Congram, the Corps long time Brass instructor and Corps Director which happen at about the the same time that the Simplex Time Recorder Company was sold.

The SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, (Originally founded in 1945 as a "Fife and Drum Corps) was in fact the FIRST Fully corporately sponsored Drum & Bugle Corps (Simplex Time Recorder Company, of Gardner, MASS.) due particially in part to the fact that they were considered to have a "financial advantage" over other competing Corps the "SIMPLEX" MINUTEMEN, they were NOT allowed to "Compete on the Field" during my time with them. ) - : Rather at that time, we were considered a Parade and Exhibiton Corps". However, while the Minutemen may not had the opportunity to take to the "Field in Competition." They were easily one of the most internationally traveled Corps in the actvities history. The Corps served/traveled as the Simplex Company "all expenses paid!" musical ambassadors in all of the companies many international conventions: that included Multiplle trips to Canada, Trinidad/Tobago and a three week tour to Great Britain, (Where they were featured in a full length feature Film documentary Narrated by the legendary radio announcer, Lowell Thomas and simultanously released an LP record called "ON THE MARCH" with the Simplex Minutemen. Fortunately some years after my departure, I think around 1974 they were sanctioned to compete in DCI, US Open, Yankee Circuit regional competitions. Further information on the Minutemen can be found on Corps Reps and they also have SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN Corps and Reunion Facebook pages.

I've been involved with the Drum Corps Activity for over 50 years. Served on the Board of Directors for the now defunct, ARIZONA SUN of Phoenix from 1971-73. Since 2004, I have served as a Volunteer/Tour Co-Driver with THE ACADEMY, of Tempe, Arizona. THE ACADEMY, made its debut in 2004 as a "Division II" Corps. In 2006, after two undefeated, but shortened seasons, followed up with an undefeated full tour in its third season, they earned Division II Gold in their first DCI National tour culminating in the DCI World Championships at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. The followinbg year THE ACADEMY became the First Arizona Corps to be elevated to World Class in 2007. This past summer, they became the first Corps from the state of Arizona to ever achieve finalist status among the Top 12 World Class Corps. Their producttion of "DRUM CORPSE BRIDE" earned them an 11th place a score of 86.100, at Drum Corpse International World Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana this past August.

Met the DM from the corps (mid 1970's) when he was principal at Northport HS in Florida. I mentioned that I remember they took 3rd place at NT Open (1976) and he was like, "OMG! I remember that show!" He said who won? and I said We did LOL

• 2 years later...
On 11/3/2016 at 5:04 PM, CorpsRelic said:

DISCLAIMER:: Some of the facts, figures, dates mentioned below may be questionable due to the fact that at age 65, my memory isn't quite what it used to be. In any case you'll catch my drift and perhaps learn a thing or two about the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, a Corps that played itself into my life beginning around the age of 12, I joined at age 15., (they rehearsed in a parking log directly behind my house!) they were truly a Godsend and played a key role in my mentorship,growth and development as a youth. My passion for the Corps was stoked in my youth in the early 1960's by SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN and such legends as: 27th Lancers, Casper Wyoming Troopers, Aneheim Kingsmen to name a few,

I had the pleasure of marching with the SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN from 1965-1972. I played rudimental bass drum from 1965-1970, and 24" Concert Cymbals 1970-72. Highlights included: Our 9-day? Carribean Cruise Aboard Moore Lines: SS Argentina From NYC to Hamilton Island, Bermuda, Paradise Island and Nassau. Our Corps Represented Massachusetts in 1971 Miss America Pagaent Parade in Atlantic City, NJ, and represented Massachusetts/US in the Gold Cup Festival in Charlotteville, Prince Edward Island, Canada 1971? Upon being awarded the Gold Cup Parade's Best Marching/Muscial Unit they were extended three consecutive annual invites to participate in the Gold Cup Parade and concert performances within the Festivals Arena in the years that followed. Sadly, The Corps Disbanded I believe in 1981 upon the death of Wally Congram, the Corps long time Brass instructor and Corps Director which happen at about the the same time that the Simplex Time Recorder Company was sold.

The SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN, (Originally founded in 1945 as a "Fife and Drum Corps) was in fact the FIRST Fully corporately sponsored Drum & Bugle Corps (Simplex Time Recorder Company, of Gardner, MASS.) due particially in part to the fact that they were considered to have a "financial advantage" over other competing Corps the "SIMPLEX" MINUTEMEN, they were NOT allowed to "Compete on the Field" during my time with them. ) - : Rather at that time, we were considered a Parade and Exhibiton Corps". However, while the Minutemen may not had the opportunity to take to the "Field in Competition." They were easily one of the most internationally traveled Corps in the actvities history. The Corps served/traveled as the Simplex Company "all expenses paid!" musical ambassadors in all of the companies many international conventions: that included Multiplle trips to Canada, Trinidad/Tobago and a three week tour to Great Britain, (Where they were featured in a full length feature Film documentary Narrated by the legendary radio announcer, Lowell Thomas and simultanously released an LP record called "ON THE MARCH" with the Simplex Minutemen. Fortunately some years after my departure, I think around 1974 they were sanctioned to compete in DCI, US Open, Yankee Circuit regional competitions. Further information on the Minutemen can be found on Corps Reps and they also have SIMPLEX MINUTEMEN Corps and Reunion Facebook pages.

I've been involved with the Drum Corps Activity for over 50 years. Served on the Board of Directors for the now defunct, ARIZONA SUN of Phoenix from 1971-73. Since 2004, I have served as a Volunteer/Tour Co-Driver with THE ACADEMY, of Tempe, Arizona. THE ACADEMY, made its debut in 2004 as a "Division II" Corps. In 2006, after two undefeated, but shortened seasons, followed up with an undefeated full tour in its third season, they earned Division II Gold in their first DCI National tour culminating in the DCI World Championships at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. The followinbg year THE ACADEMY became the First Arizona Corps to be elevated to World Class in 2007. This past summer, they became the first Corps from the state of Arizona to ever achieve finalist status among the Top 12 World Class Corps. Their producttion of "DRUM CORPSE BRIDE" earned them an 11th place a score of 86.100, at Drum Corpse International World Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana this past August.

Both my brother and I were in the corp in the late 60's early 70's.  My brother was a drum major and I was one of the banner girls with Tammy.  I was also in the Miss America pageant in 71 and I know my father went on the cruise.  My brother and I were sitting here reminiscing about our time and decided to do a google search and found a picture of us that Tyco had posted on Twitter and then I found you.  We are very interested in finding old alumni and friends from our time with the corp. 

• 3 years later...