1976 Crossmen at DCI?

First off this is not meant to bring up painful memories for Crossmen members/alumni and their fans. During the late 1970s Westshoremen (my corps), Buccaneers and Crossmen used to play at each others standstill concerts during the Spring. (Anyone know where Crossmen had their concert, I'm blanking out on this one.) I can remember watching Crossmen practice at their 1977 show and listening in on staff(?) discussing how the corps would come back after the DQ. Because of the concerts (closest I ever got to a Junior corps) and being a fellow PA'er I always liked the corps....

What I CAN'T remember is what happened to the corps after they had the DQ. Saw one (only one) article about it in Drum Corps News and that was all. Yesterday I checked corpsreps and see that the corps is not given a placement for 1976 DCI. Did the corps go to DCI or were they not allowed to go to Finals week. Seems that Crossmen history for that year just stops after the DQ.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Here's a score from Aug. 14th 1976...

Saturday August 14, 1976

World Open Finals

Lynn, MA

1 Blue Devils 88.75

2 Cavaliers 81.75

3 27th Lancers 81.25

4 Seneca Optimists 80.30

5 Bridgemen 79.80

6 Muchachos 76.45

7 Crossmen 73.85

8 Argonne Rebels 73.70

9 Boston Crusaders 69.30

10 North Star 67.40

• Like 1

I didn't march '76 but I did march with a lot of members who did.

This photo was in our 1979 yearbook. As you can see DCI Championships were in the Crossmen's backyard. IIRC, they helped out by putting up signs and fliers;

Crossmen1976BigDrum.jpg

• Like 1

The Crossmen were announced as having overage member (or members) after they performed at the August 2, 1976 Sevierville, TN contest. They did exhibitions the rest of the DCI tour, and besides the World Open, they also competed in PA on August 23, at the UOEC Championship August 28 and they won the September 4 Eastern States Championship.

The Crossmen were announced as having overage member (or members) after they performed at the August 2, 1976 Sevierville, TN contest. They did exhibitions the rest of the DCI tour, and besides the World Open, they also competed in PA on August 23, at the UOEC Championship August 28 and they won the September 4 Eastern States Championship.

Brian, from what I understand it was only one member. He continued to volunteer his service as a way to pay back for his mistake. He was there in '79 doing what ever they needed him to do....take pictures, help out with the yearbooks, sell souvies.

Thanks Brian, that would explain the entry in corpsreps as Chris uses the DCI Weekend scores for the corps position. If the corps wasn't at DCI weekend, they didn't get a position number.

BYW - great pic Malibu.. :)

Thanks Brian, that would explain the entry in corpsreps as Chris uses the DCI Weekend scores for the corps position. If the corps wasn't at DCI weekend, they didn't get a position number.

BYW - great pic Malibu.. :)

I never understodd how DCI could stop them from competing for the rest of the season. It wouid seem that once the overage member left, they should have been able to compete.

• Like 1

I am pretty certain once it was "rumored" that a corps was marching an overage member, then the corps was approached and given a warning. I know 27th always kept copies of our birthday certificates with us on tour - just in case we were ever challenged.

I never heard the Bridgemen were given a warning prior to prelims in '77. If they had been warned - then the punishment fit the crime.