Sound quality in domes

I've been avoiding domed stadiums ever since a really really really bad experience in the Pontiac Silverdome way back in about 1976, where the sound quality was so unbelieveably bad it was, well, it ruined the experience. However, for the past several years we've had major events in San Antonio, Atlanta, and Indy. Here's my question: how, in your opinion, is the sound quality in thoese domes? Do you need to get tix in the lower deck / close to the field to not lose the sound? Last fall I went to a f'ball game in the Metrodome, and with the Minnesota marching band on the field, I could not make out what they were playing, the sound was so bad. So, thumbs up or thumbs down on dome shows?

Depends on where you sit. Down low is great, up high is horrible. In the middle on the 50 is also good.

Depends on where you sit. Down low is great, up high is horrible. In the middle on the 50 is also good.
So DCI could be asking tens of thousands of fans to pay large amounts of money to hear crappy sounding corps at championships for ten years then?

I guess it is somewhat of a gamble having no idea what the acustics of Lucas . . . Dome? Stadium? Field? will be. Sure it is retractable, but so was Montreal, and that . . . was horrible. Lucas will have a much bigger hole than Olympic did. I assume it will be better, much better. It's still somewhat of a gamble though, and what happens if there is really bad weather?

I've been avoiding domed stadiums ever since a really really really bad experience in the Pontiac Silverdome way back in about 1976, where the sound quality was so unbelieveably bad it was, well, it ruined the experience. However, for the past several years we've had major events in San Antonio, Atlanta, and Indy. Here's my question: how, in your opinion, is the sound quality in thoese domes? Do you need to get tix in the lower deck / close to the field to not lose the sound? Last fall I went to a f'ball game in the Metrodome, and with the Minnesota marching band on the field, I could not make out what they were playing, the sound was so bad. So, thumbs up or thumbs down on dome shows?

The Alamodome is EXTREMELY boomy on the upper level. I would definitely advise you to get lower level tickets for this venue.

So DCI could be asking tens of thousands of fans to pay large amounts of money to hear crappy sounding corps at championships for ten years then?

The new Indy stadium will have a retractable roof...this won't be a problem.

As for the Alamodome...upper level is where I always sit...it really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be...but then I usually sit dead center, so that helps.

The Alamodome is a huge rectangular building. The sound is pretty dry but not bad in the lower level and 200 level seating. The 300 levels are 'boomy' and I'd avoid those.

The old dome in Indianapolis is awful and I would not buy a ticket to another show there. This point is moot though because this stadium is going to be demolished and I think that this will probably be the last show there.

I've not been to the Georgia Dome for drum corps (but have seen basketball there) because it's dimensions remind me more of Indy than San Antonio.

I think it's actually more important in a dome to get seats close to the 50 than down low. The first year I went to the RCA Dome I sat in like row 12 about on the 25 yard line. I could hear almost nothing from the brass... only drums. The next year I got seats at like the very top row of the upper section but on the 45 yard line. There was still an echo up there, but you could hear everything and the show was quite enjoyable. I think the best seats in a dome are probably the lower rows of the upper section in the middle.

Don't let a domed show keep you from going to see Drum Corps. I've been to several and had great experiences. Hey, at least you don't have to worry about rain, heat, or a bright sun in your eyes.

I guess it is somewhat of a gamble having no idea what the acustics of Lucas . . .

I recall that there was a press release or new story somewhere that mentioned that they had acoustic engineers working on the Lucas Oil stadium. I don't know where that was, though. We can hope for the best.