• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Any scores from Clifton yet?

How did the corps do tonight?

:)

Well....I just got home from the show......not exactly sure of the scores, but Bucs beat Cabs by .6 with both corps scoring an 83. something.

Bush was third with an 80. something.

Hurcs were 4th with a 75. something.

Sun was 5th with a 68. something.

Fusion Core was 6th with a 67. something.

And......

The Cabs held true to form with their tradition by having the "best soloist" of the night. That honor went to none other than Laura Michelle Stevens.

Way to go Laura.........talk about holding up our heritage.

I believe Laura is the first female EVER to win a DCA soloist award.

Congrats Laura.....I along with the rest of the Cabs Alumni are extremely proud of you!!!

It was a great show tonight. The judges got the placements right, but the scores made absolutely no sense.

Starting from the bottom.

Fusion corps barely a point behind Sun? Not a chance. Fusion had about 23 horns, 6 guard and 6 battery, (2 snares 1 tenor and 3 bass). The guard didn't really add much visual interest, and the battery was all over the place. I don’t think the two snares had one attack together all night. The corps had one solid moment in the beginning of the show which lasted about 16 counts then they were out of gas for the rest of the show. Drill wise... I couldn't make anything out. It was very muddled. Horn angles were all over the place. They need to work on the drill big time and need to add to the drumline and colorguard to be competitive in Div A. I had Fusion at least 5 points down from Sun tonight, and I thought that was a gift.

Sun... full guard and battery with about 15 horns. Musically the drum line was far superior to Fusion and the guard added much visual interest to Sun's show. Additionally, I could make out the forms and understood what was going on. Horns had some very nice musical moments and the soloist nailed it. Everyone around me quieted down to listen to it. The contras didn't blend very well in a couple of spots. The hornline put out about the same volume level as Fusion (probably because their horn angles were more together). If Sun could add 3 baritones and maybe 4 sopranos I think this would be a much better show.

Hurricanes... Very surprising. I enjoyed their show. The drumline had some real nice moments as did the hornline. I think this is the best I've seen the corps in years. Its definitely a better marching corps than in years past. The guard added much visual impact and the crowd around me showed lots of appreciation for it. I think they should have scored much closer than the 5 points down the judges had them to Bush. There's no question in my mind about the Hurricanes being in the mix at championships.

Bush... I don't know. I disliked more stuff than I liked. The hornline was running all around the field and they didn't look like they were in shape to do it; horn angles suffered as did the sound from the corps. The hornline is much less musical than I’m used to hearing from Bush as were the drums. I'm used to seeing a much better drumline from Bush this time of year. They didn't really play much. There didn't really seem to be much technical difficulty there; makes me long for Bush's drumlines of the 80s. BTW... they only marched 2 tenors tonight. The guard was the one shiny part of the corps. If anything they were the ones to pull off Bush's 80. They added great visual interest to the show. The crowd around me showed much appreciation. The guard seemed much more polished than the corps proper. I had Bush about 2 points lower.

Cabs... what happened? I really thought they would be much better tonight. The opening hit rocked, but alas it was just a teaser, because that was the best moment of the whole show. The drumline put the bling in Cab's show tonight. I found myself watching and listening to the drumline more intently, because there wasn't much else for me. The Cabs put out the first real drumline tonight. The corps did march a nice show as well, unfortunately, like Bush, there were some parts where the members are obviously struggling to make a spot. Some of those moves are heart attacks waiting to happen. I had Cabs about 5 points down from Bucs.

Bucs… WOW! Right from the start. WOW! Through the middle. WOW! I saw them at DCI east where I thought they took a big dump in front of the DCI crowd, but tonight, that’s what I’m talking about. They had the total package, drums, horns and guard. The hornline had the best impact of the night and blew our faces off. There is one part where the contras and baritones play a sweet ballad, you could hear a pin drop in the stadium. It blended very well. Bucs were definitely the most musical corps of the night. Their drill was written just right for them as well. They had some older players, but they weren’t sprinting to get to a spot. I don’t think I could do justice to the drumline in explaining their performance, you have to hear it for yourself to believe it. For me, the guard’s best moment is at the end of the show during the corps last push. They were physical and on top of the beat.

So as I said, the judges got the placements correct, but there’s too much funny stuff with the scores for me.

Just my two cents.

I wasn't there so I loved all the reviews. THANKS!!

Sounds like the judges may be holding 'em close to keep it interesting.

On the other hand, I just looked at the recap.

The Bucs came in 3rd in color guard and 3rd in GE visual.

That had something to do with the closeness of the scores as well.

What a GREAT SEASON for DCA!!

^0^

The Bucs came in 3rd in color guard and 3rd in GE visual.

actually unless my reading skills are suffering this morning, it appears Bucs guard was 4th.

actually unless my reading skills are suffering this morning, it appears Bucs guard was 4th.

You got it Liz! Hurricanes were over Bucs in guard.

Maybe the judges are trying to keep it interesting I also had the Bucks at least 3 points up on the Cabs.
3 points would have made it interesting. .3 just makes it bogus!!