Congrats to the Bucs...Congrats Laura...Nice reveiws everybody...See you in Lewisburg...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....I just got home from the show......not exactly sure of the scores, but Bucs beat Cabs by .6 with both corps scoring an 83. something.

Bush was third with an 80. something.

Hurcs were 4th with a 75. something.

Sun was 5th with a 68. something.

Fusion Core was 6th with a 67. something.

And......

The Cabs held true to form with their tradition by having the "best soloist" of the night. That honor went to none other than Laura Michelle Stevens.

Way to go Laura.........talk about holding up our heritage.

I believe Laura is the first female EVER to win a DCA soloist award.

Congrats Laura.....I along with the rest of the Cabs Alumni are extremely proud of you!!!

Thank you Frank. I'm honored and just happy to be representing the Caballeros.

Great Job Laura! I'm proud of you! :worthy:

You the man Sean, thanks baby. :doh::doh:

Congrats Laura! And Frank.......will you be giving her any lawn chair advice?

Tim

So Many years, so many corps.

Thanks Timmy. And thank Donna for me. I wouldn't have this opportunity if it weren't for women like her and I know she hates that, but whatever.

Oh, and I don't require a lawn chair, I leave that for the staff... :P

In Exhibition

Cabs Mini CorpsCopacabana, and Late in the Evening had the crowd rocking along. The most impressive spot was the duo tenor feature with the two young tenor players running around the two six-packs and playing behind their backs. The crowd was amazed. Maleguena was the closer and well-received despite a few missed notes.

Thanks for the review. We really enjoyed playing and the crowd was fantastic.

THANKS FOR THE NICE REVIEW - SUN MARCHED 14 brass Saturday night - with 4 or 5 in the wings not having learned the whole show yet! The show is written for 20 and we should be FULL come Aug!

In Exhibition

Excelsior14 Brass, 1 snare 2 tenors, 4bd, 1cym, 3 cg, 1 Dm

The small brass section was dominated by the low end. The low brass played pretty well. Led by an energetic drum major, the crowd was appreciative. Props to the lone snare drummer who was the star of the battery. A very nice job by a tiny corps.

Cabs Mini CorpsCopacabana, and Late in the Evening had the crowd rocking along. The most impressive spot was the duo tenor feature with the two young tenor players running around the two six-packs and playing behind their backs. The crowd was amazed. Maleguena was the closer and well-received despite a few missed notes.

Raiders Jr. Corps20cg; 10 pit; 26 brass; 7s; 4 ten; 5bd;2dm

Wow. I was impressed. The percussion section is beginning to get a quality sound and played with poise. The brass struggles a bit with the charts/drill. A few guard mishaps with equipment, but still a nice overall package. When the brass and CG get to the level of the Percussion section, look-out! This is an up and coming corps. Great job Raiders!

Park City Pride

4hg; 7snares, 6 single tenors; 2 bd; 4 cymbals, 6/rifle & cymbals, 26 silks, 3 dms and an estimated 55 brass.

Big brass sound, and nice silk work. Novel rifle/cymbal section. Unfortunately, The single tenor drums seemed to be tuned to a murky pitch. Not enough bass drum sound either, with the rest of the huge percussion and brass section. The Brass however, is the story of the Park City Pride. The crowd was very appreciative, with this being the first big horn line of the night. The silks did a good job and provided much of the motion for the corps. All-in-all a big crowd pleaser!

Sky Alumni16 snares, 3 tenors, 4bd, 6honor g; 2 pit, 1 dm, estimated 50 brass, 6 cymbals.

Sky continued to apply the HEAT to the crowd. Big brassy sound and outstanding soloists. The 16-yes, 16 snares-played their mylar quite well. I couldn’t hear the quads at all. They are placed behind the snare line and could be used to better effect in a concert arc. Elks Parade just plain kicked butt. It was good to see the beautiful and historic Sky uniforms on the field.

Competition Corps

Fusion Core

21 Brass, 2 snares, 1 tenor, 3 bass drums, 4 honor guard, 7 pit, 6 color guard, 2 dm

Congrats to Fusion Core. You made it through the first show!!! They were a little rough in every section, with the percussion needing the most improvement. The two snares in particular seemed to lack the chops to play the book, and were very tentative with the book. This led to an abundance of very audible errors. That's when you could hear them. The Percussion definately could use two more snares and another tenor at the minimum. The brass section had over 20 brass, but sounded quite a bit smaller. Maybe as they get more polished they will project a little better? The slower song toward the end of their show, Loss, was very, very pretty (a highlight!) and the guard completed the music nicely in this section. I think the show is well-written overall. All-in-all, I thought it was better than to be expected from a first time ever corps. I'm looking forward to seeing their improvements over the course of the season. Way to go Fusion Core!

Sunrisers

12 brass, 5 pit, 5snares, 3 tenors, 5bd, 15 cg. 1dm

Sun is driven by their battery. They have a nice Percussion book and played it pretty well for the first show of the season. However, the loud 'dut-dutting' by the percussion section is annoying and detracts from the show. The Drill showed an impressive amount of field coverage for a small corps. The small brass sections was blasting and out of control at times, but did a great job for such a few people. The brief singing section was well-received by the crowd. Basically, Sun has a decent nucleus here. They could use some recruiting more than anything else. Even five more horns would make a big impact here. Good effort from a small corps.

Hurricanes

32 brass, 25 cg, 6 pit, 8 snares, 4 tenors, 5bd, 4 honor guard, 1 dm

I’m feeling this show. Great drill, nice visuals-love the little hornline/guard dance scene! The improvement since the last show in CT was evident. All sections were much tighter. It’s amazing what you can do in two weeks time. The percussion section lacks in comparison to the Cabs/Bucs, but is very competitive with Bush. In my humble opinion, I think the Colorguard is already performing at the close to elite levels. This show not quite as demanding as Bush, but it was a bit better executed. Look for the Hurricanes to do damage in September.

Bush

38brass, 32 cg, 7 snares, 2 tenors, 5bd, 4 cymbals, 2dm

Last year, the first time I saw Bush in Dover, I was underwhelmed. Two weeks later, I absolutely loved their show. The same thing has happened this year. Their show began to have signs that ill will sparkle like last year's version. In CT every section was struggling to march/play the book. This week the improvement was dramatic in all sections and immediately evident. The opener was powerful and the sound was quality. The audience was "wow'ing quite a bit. Bush is driven by its brass section and colorguard. The percussion section really lags behind the rest of the corps-similar to last year. Nevertheless, expect Bush to be in the hunt by DCA.

Reading.

Just estimates: 64 brass, 10 pit, 9 snares, 5 tenors, 6 cymbals, 9 rifles, 16 silks, 2dm

I didn't even think the outcome was within three points: Reading is that good. There is no weak section. The drill is excellently written and marched. The brass was easily the best of the night and the battery played as well as I've heard them. Their pit is often not much-mentioned, but they can really play well, and set a mood for the corps that is unique. The colorguard nicely complements the other sections, with what appears to be demanding equipment work. I believe this corps to be unbeatable this year. Great job (as ususal) Bucs!

Cabs

35brass, 8snares, 4 tenors, 5bd, 10 pit, 25 cg, 6hg, ?dms.

Super-battery powered!!! The Cab's battery rocks every show and this was no different. They throw down some serious notes and do it well. If any battery will dethrone the Bucs, it will be the Cab's section. The Cab's brass is soooo much a different beast than last year. In 06 the Cabs, were big and loud, but without much nuance. This year the hornline is mortal size, but plays and marches better in terms of execution. The guard work was well-done with some really nice rifle work. I love the closer and Cabs' DM takes top honors for entertainment value. All of this said, I didn't think it was close between Bucs and Cabs. Still, I think Cabs are a couple points up on anyone else and seems likely to place second in September.

Finally:

Cabs Alumni

HUGE bizarre 1970s era Latin Percussion equipment-led percussion section complimented by large and powerful hornline. They rocked the house as in CT. Their beats make you want to dance. ?

The Crowd

There was a group of people yelling and talking through the smaller corps. Why do some people assume that people don't want to see the smaller corps? Also, my husband was getting kicked in the back by a small child, who talked through the entire show, was climbing everywhere and yelling at times. The other child of this RUDE couple was actually playing a loud electronic gaming device during the show, much to our annoyance. The parents seemed oblivious to all of the stares they were getting. Look: a babysitter isn't THAT expensive....

Thanks everyone for the reviews. You can never have too much feedback. I'm glad people are enjoying the show. I know we're having alot of fun performing it. I know I've been saying it all Winter, but all we need at Sun is another few horns. That's it. Now everyone else is seeing it too. Come on folks. Sun is turning a corner. Be a part of something special. Help us build onto the legacy our alumni established

It sure felt good being back on the field after so long. It seemed like forever. Sayer, I gotta hand it to ya, Sun had a great show. Personally, I firmly believe that once confidence in the show is there, it will be cake walk bud! The drumline and guard sounded and looked like they were confident, but the hornline sounded a little hush. To me, from the outside looking in, it sounded like they were not confident. Like my old football coach said, if you believe it will be! I am pullin for ya guys and dolls! Best of luck! ROCK ON SUN!!!!!

The Crowd

There was a group of people yelling and talking through the smaller corps. Why do some people assume that people don't want to see the smaller corps? Also, my husband was getting kicked in the back by a small child, who talked through the entire show, was climbing everywhere and yelling at times. The other child of this RUDE couple was actually playing a loud electronic gaming device during the show, much to our annoyance. The parents seemed oblivious to all of the stares they were getting. Look: a babysitter isn't THAT expensive....

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed a problem with the crowd last night. In the area I was sitting, I had three chatty middle aged ladies who talked loudly about anything and everything nonstop throughout the show until the Cabs came on. They even had the nerve to curse out my 67 year old mother when she nicely asked them to please be quiet so we could hear the corps on the field. We had people around us who conducted conversations while standing on the bleachers while corps were performing. People were running up and down the stairs the entire show. And worst of all, there was a large group of alumni members talking very loudly from the stands to their friends, who were standing on the walkway.

I know that the Clifton show is always a once a year thing for alot of old friends to see one another, but if you want to chat with them, take it over to the open area on the side of the field, not in an area where paying spectators can't enjoy the show.

Thanks for the review - we've worked really hard this year to try to bring it up a notch, the crowd reaction tells me we were successful. I watch our snares at every practice, and I'm just in awe of these guys...........

Its a shame there're so many people at shows who don't know proper etiquette - at the very least show some consideration for the paying public.

Rich

533032450_8b02af564a.jpg

cabs- drumline rocked, Murphy and his crew never disapoint. hornline had some good moments, but for the most part was messy. expected alot more from them from what i read on previous topics here. gaurd was good.

Thanks for the comments! Murph is a great part of Gary Gill’s Drum Staff. We are very fortunate to have Gary, his teaching staff and a great percussion line who give their all to make this show entertaining, challenging and exiting. The Caballeros will keep working harder… every weekend to give our fans the best we can!

Congratulations to the Buccs! Thanks to all the corps and fans for their support and participation in another amazing Grand Prix. The Caballeros are looking forward to Lewisburg and the rest of the season.