I first saw the Cabs in 1961 in Denver. From that day forward, I always had a dream of being a part of that great organization. When Frank Ponzo invited me to perform with the alumni in 2005, I could not have been more honored. I have been a Cab ever since....although I always tell people that I am only a Caballero substitute...I am holding down a spot for original Cabs long-passed....and I am thrilled to do that.

Alumni corps get slammed a lot.....but I can tell you, for the past three seasons, when the Cabs alums take the field (the most exciting five minutes in drum corps IMHO), the crowd noise is deafening.....like they have been waiting all evening for something to scream about....for someone to blow their faces off; for someone to play recognizable, electrifying music! Yep, we do not march well...some of us are are coming off major surgeries (like my cervical spine surgery)....but we hobble onto the field and we give the crowd the best we have..and most of us are not trying to relive our lost youth....we simply love to play the music, to hear the crowd...and to give something back to drum corps fans around the nation.

I respect what I see from competitive corps..regardless of division or association....but none of it electrifies me like Cabs alum or Mighty St. Joes, or Madison Reunion Project, or Bridgemen....et. al.

I have lived a dream thanks to the Caballero family, the Kiltie brothers and sisters, and Sie Lurye of the Royal Airs.

Bob:

Glad to see you are enjoying yourself. I marched 5 years with the Cabs competing corps and 10 years with the Alumni from it's inception up until 2004. I chose to leave because I wanted free time during the summer months. I miss playing and seeing friends but I personally do not want to commit that much time. Perhaps when I retire from work and get bored I will do 5 more years to get to a total of 20 years of service with the Cabs organization. I consider myself fortunate to have marched when Jimmy Costello was in his prime and when the Cabs won three straight DCA championships in the 1970s.

I see you were with the Royals Airs in 1966. I was at the 1966 Dream as a fourteen year old kid and was awed by one of the greatest shows I ever witnessed. I could not even talk after that show!

Good luck to you and hope your back holds up!

Steve

Edited by cabalumsw

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob:

Glad to see you are enjoying yourself. I marched 5 years with the Cabs competing corps and 10 years with the Alumni from it's inception up until 2004. I chose to leave because I wanted free time during the summer months. I miss playing and seeing friends but I personally do not want to commit that much time. Perhaps when I retire from work and get bored I will do 5 more years to get to a total of 20 years of service with the Cabs organization. I consider myself fortunate to have marched when Jimmy Costello was in his prime and when the Cabs won three stright DCA championships in the 1970s.

I see you were with the Royals Airs in 1966. I was at the 1966 Dream as a fourteen year old kid and was awed by one of the greatest shows I ever witnessed. I could not even talk after that show!

Good luck to you and hope your back holds up!

Steve

Thanks, Steve. It has been a great time for me....I love this group of folks...they treat me soooo well. My spine is holding up, thus far....the alumni show is sooooo lengthy though, that I am pretty shot by the end...I think from start to finish, we are on the field for about 27 minutes.

[shouldn't that screen name be------------wait for it----------------------

Bigbluekiltieviscabetcetcetc ????????????

heheheh....yep, Laz, except I joined DCP prior to Cabs.......and could not figure out how to get Viscounts in the screen name........the blue sort of covers it....guess I could have gone with:

bigbluekiltiemobcounts...or something...heheheh...tough to type it in, though.

"the alumni show is sooooo lengthy though, that I am pretty shot by the end

. . . I think from start to finish, we are on the field for about 27 minutes."

Fastest 27 minutes of the whole contest, Bob! Heck, maybe the fastest of the whole week!! At least it seems that way. When we come off the field, I can't believe we've been out there that long!