Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

Air is one of those things that is hotly contested amongst trumpet players, because often what we think we're feeling, isn't what is actually happening.

Many players feel that they are moving a lot of air when they play loudly in the upper register. This is because the abs are tight, and physical exertion is occurring. But in reality, to sustain notes in the upper register, the aperture has to become smaller...resulting in LESS air actually entering the instrument! Now, the air is being injected at a higher speed, but less volume. Even though it FEELS like a lot of air is moving, it's actually a pretty small amount. The moral of the story is that in reality, one needs only a very small amount of air to play the trumpet in all registers. Jim Manley (great lead trumpet player in the St. Louis area) is a big proponent of the "not blowing" camp. In his words, one only needs the amount of air it takes to speak, to play the trumpet...even in the upper register. And what's better, is that he can demonstrate it! Just enough air to get the vibration going is all that's needed.

I don't mean for this to sound arrogant. Apparently someone found phantom arrogance in some of my posts. To alleviate any confusion, I am not arrogant :)

Oh, and about the Cadets...yup, we still play!

Hey Frank...thanks for the kind words! It's rocking my world to read such nice things about me, written by a drum corps legend. I AM NOT WORTHY!

but you need more air when shouting than you do when talking - loud vs. soft or regular.

"Phantom arrogance", I love it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but you need more air when shouting than you do when talking - loud vs. soft or regular.

Right, well, what I was describing was not about playing loudly, and it also was not about over-filling my lungs.

I am not sure I can explain it, but let me try,

So I started doing something with my chin, and the teacher said so, try to keep it the same, so I (think I relaxed) my chin, and to compensate for the change in tone I somehow adjusted my air stream (whether it was an increase in pressure I am not sure, that's what I thought it was), but it was not an increase in volume of air passing the lips. This was all done at mp.

Right, well, what I was describing was not about playing loudly, and it also was not about over-filling my lungs.

I am not sure I can explain it, but let me try,

So I started doing something with my chin, and the teacher said so, try to keep it the same, so I (think I relaxed) my chin, and to compensate for the change in tone I somehow adjusted my air stream (whether it was an increase in pressure I am not sure, that's what I thought it was), but it was not an increase in volume of air passing the lips. This was all done at mp.

Hard to figure it out over a post on the internet.

A lot of times people just have their jaw open too much, (it doesn't take a lot to make a big difference), and they do something that closes the space between upper and lower jaw and it makes an immediate and dramatic (usually) improvement in playing.

Really, there are a ton of ways to increase endurance, improve tone, range, articulation. As many ways as there are people. Sounds like it may be the flat chin method - since you mentioned chin. Now, a lot of people swear by it and a lot of people say it's old hat and doesn't work and isn't efficient, but hey, if it works for you...

Also seems like you're making swell progress. That's cool.

Hard to figure it out over a post on the internet.

A lot of times people just have their jaw open too much, (it doesn't take a lot to make a big difference), and they do something that closes the space between upper and lower jaw and it makes an immediate and dramatic (usually) improvement in playing.

Really, there are a ton of ways to increase endurance, improve tone, range, articulation. As many ways as there are people. Sounds like it may be the flat chin method - since you mentioned chin. Now, a lot of people swear by it and a lot of people say it's old hat and doesn't work and isn't efficient, but hey, if it works for you...

Also seems like you're making swell progress. That's cool.

Thanks, not bad for less than a month. I don't think it was anything that gimmicky, more that I was tightening the muscles on my chin and he told me not to.

Then I had to find something else, and breath did the job.

Lot's to work on besides range, but who knows, maybe by next season . . . Maybe something a little less ambitious before then.

• 1 month later...
Here's my two cents.

I can see where the original poster is coming from. I was at finals in 07. I didn't even realize something was missing until the Cavaliers took the field. They weren't even solos. There were one or two trumpets in that hornline that were blowing double G's like it was nothing! They sliced right through and sounded gorgeous! It added a whole different color to the sound of the entire hornline.

So, of course it's always fun to have soloists who can blow like a dog whistle. But what I really miss is having high notes actually written into the lead trumpet part of the regular brass book. Listen to corps like Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, and the Bluecoats from the late 90's and early 00's and it was a normal thing. I miss that particular color in the hornline and would like to hear more of it. But, in order for it to work you need the players that can do it consistantly. So the question remains unanswered.... Is there a lack of kids that can do it, or are the brass arrangers just not writing it anymore?

Exactly, I toured with the Cavaliers this past 07 summer as a volunteer and they got this 1 guy whos a good screamer from OU and another who is beyond amazing from houston texas, I think his name is fernando...Not really sure about his last name. They had double A's all throughout the the opener including the first hit and G's and G#'s in the ballad and 3rd movement (Pressure). These guys aged-out, but boy were they incredible!!! To bad the show didnt require high screaming solos or else they woulda set a higher bar!!!!

Anybody who heard the cavaliers during warm-ups before show must have heard these dudes warming up on their high range.... dubba Cs like no joke!!!!!! I was like a dear caught in head lights when i heard them 15 ft. away from me..... AND IM FROM CALI!!!

Edited by Playshighthangod