Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

Ohh really????

Tell that to Eric Miyashiro or Wayne Bergeron.

Those trumpets are not constructed for projection outdoors but its built for screaming.

AFAIK, neither of those guys plays a standard Yamaha, i.e. the YTR8335 Xeno that most Div I corps are using. They have specially designed horns, the YTR8340EM and the YTR8335LA.

The YTR8335LA appears to be a standard bore (.459) and bell (5 inch), but has some other modifications.

The YTR8340EM is a lightweight model with a larger bell (5.3 inches). I could not find any other specs, but for Yamaha, the third number seems to be correlated with bore size, which would make this a large bore instrument (.462). By all accounts, it is a screamer but hard to find in US.

Edited by vferrera

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But screaming is not just playing high. You need a horn that you can put a *lot* of air through. The standard bore Yamaha Xeno is a fine horn, but it is not built for screaming. Frankly, it is painful to watch and listen to a line of 20 guys blowing their brains out trying to force air through those things. It's not the horn's fault - it just isn't meant to be played that way. There are other horns out there that might be more suitable.

Any reasonable trumpet can be used to scream. Its player's preference.

Bill Chase used a medum bore Schilke B6.

There is no horn that is specifically BETTER for screaming than another.

I have found range easier on smaller bores, especially at loud levels.

The screamers?

They're all busy making short YouTube videos of themselves hitting high notes and trying to play along with Maynard records.

Ever seen those? They're hilarious, at least for a couple of minutes. They take forever to get ready, they wind up, and then they hit a double C, usually, put the horn down, overly satisfied with themselves and then shut the camera off, so as to say, "so there!"

I know, I spent hours and hours practicing range and maybe I would've done it also - it's so nerdy though.

I would rather hear a great solo, high notes or none, than someone just hitting a high note. I can look in the mirror for that!

Well, I do that too, but that's for instructional purposes. :)

AFAIK, neither of those guys plays a standard Yamaha, i.e. the YTR8335 Xeno that most Div I corps are using. They have specially designed horns, the YTR8340EM and the YTR8335LA.

The YTR8335LA appears to be a standard bore (.459) and bell (5 inch), but has some other modifications.

The YTR8340EM is a lightweight model with a larger bell (5.3 inches). I could not find any other specs, but for Yamaha, the third number seems to be correlated with bore size, which would make this a large bore instrument (.462). By all accounts, it is a screamer but hard to find in US.

Eric made some comments over on the MF board about his horn.Said something about the bore being smaller.

actuall ymos tthe corps have the trumpet players that can scream. the only difference is the designs in the show is putting them into a more musical position rather than just silencing the coprs for the sake of a trumpet player sounding like mariah carey. If you listen carfully almsot all the corps has a part where 1 or more trumpet player is adding a nice effect to the cord with a high shake or just a plain high note.

there are plenty of us young players that can scream. I have been known to play high, although I'm not a big fan of it. I play lead in the top big band at school though. Then there's Jon Gifford who I marched with in 2004 (his age out year) who marched Carolina Gold the past few years, and when I talked to him a few weeks ago said he was going to march Rochester Crusaders (don't know if that all worked out). Then Victor, who marched with me last year and was 16 at the time, is at Surf this year. He could scream for sure. pop out a double C. almost every division I corps and many of the div II/IIIs have at least one person who can scream, most just don't write it into the music. Let's face it, most of the screaming in DCI and DCA is done untastefully. If there's a player who can nail it every time like a Joey Pero or Ritchee Price, then go for it, but almost no one can. I can't tell you the number of times I've cringed from listening to corps who had a "screamer" who was just absolutely terrible. If you're going to do it, do it right. Otherwise I'm glad corps are moving away from encouraging bad habits in younger kids. and even DCA corps from encouraging bad habits in people who think they're good and really aren't. Makes for a more pleasant show when you don't have to say "ouch" when the screamer misses his/her note.

• 3 weeks later...
actuall ymos tthe corps have the trumpet players that can scream. the only difference is the designs in the show is putting them into a more musical position rather than just silencing the coprs for the sake of a trumpet player sounding like mariah carey. If you listen carfully almsot all the corps has a part where 1 or more trumpet player is adding a nice effect to the cord with a high shake or just a plain high note.

Hitting the nail on the head here. They still have screamers, but shows aren't "hey listen to him scream" as much as "listen to that corps"

Hitting the nail on the head here. They still have screamers, but shows aren't "hey listen to him scream" as much as "listen to that corps"

I have always considered it exposure. It's hard to do on cue. Any brass arranger with some lead sop horses available should try and squeeze some points out of them.

I'd prefer a few dubba C's over "artsy fluff" every single time from a GE standpoint.

All else being equal, I'll take the corps with the screamers.

That's the stuff goose bumps are made of...............

I have always considered it exposure. It's hard to do on cue. Any brass arranger with some lead sop horses available should try and squeeze some points out of them.

I'd prefer a few dubba C's over "artsy fluff" every single time from a GE standpoint.

All else being equal, I'll take the corps with the screamers.

That's the stuff goose bumps are made of...............

I totally agree. But all else has to be equal first ;)

In DCI they are few and far between and in DCA almost all of the soloists to my knowledge are much older. I know that DCI has gone away from the screamer style music but you would think there would still be kids out there whose main goal was to play higher than everyone else?

It's threads like this that kind of make me glad I'm done with drum corps.

I mean...are you guys serious?

If your main goal as a musician is the "play higher than everyone else", well I'm sorry but you're probably a pretty ###### musician. Case closed. I mean of course it all depends on context, if you got a guy who does cruise gigs, and jazz bands, and musicals, whatever, #### that asks for that, fine whatever I'm cool with that if you need to have a double-Bb in your little bag. But honestly, after doing I&E the past 2 years, or whenever I'm at a show warm up, and I hear these TERRIBLE trumpet just hacking, gacking and vomiting through their horns trying to prove some kind of point to show everyone how high they can play with a bad tone...I mean...is that seriously what you want? Listen, I know drum corps is all about HIGHER FAST LOUDER YEAH WOOOOH REAL DRUM COOOOOOORPS!!! but give me a ####### break.

The point of my ranting anyway is that there are plenty of kids in drum corps hornlines that like playing high, but chances are they're probably also even more concerned with sounding good and not like an appliance which kind of takes away from the ######## trumpet jock pissing contest for high notes.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach